• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My lovebird had a seizure yesterday

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
I lost a bird on the 26 of February. from heavy metal poisoning . I hope your lovie Jelliebean recovers nothing can replace the bond between a pet and a person .Special prayers go up for you two.stay strong here if need to talk

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
44g isn't really that skinny. Normal is 45-55. I wouldn't stress too much. Can you feel his keel bone?
It really depends on the build of the bird. Neut & Termite are both small and delicately built, so 44/45 is okay, though Termie could stand to gain a couple. Neut is not the least bit skinny at that weight and is well filled out. On my other birds, that weight would really worry me, especially on Twinkie or Snerky. So it varies quite a bit between individual birds. Of course feeling for the keel bone and checking how padded it is/isn't is a good indication.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It really depends on the build of the bird. Neut & Termite are both small and delicately built, so 44/45 is okay, though Termie could stand to gain a couple. Neut is not the least bit skinny at that weight and is well filled out. On my other birds, that weight would really worry me, especially on Twinkie or Snerky. So it varies quite a bit between individual birds. Of course feeling for the keel bone and checking how padded it is/isn't is a good indication.
That's sort of what I was getting at. Luna was 45 g for her first year, and that was fine for her. Anakin is around 51/52 g, so 45 g for him would be a concern. I wouldn't be surprised that Jellybean was underweight with everything he's been through.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
Yeah, his keel bone is a little pointy rather than rounded. I can see where she's getting at for being a little on the thin side. She wasn't too concerned but I believe I saw nasal discharge once on him and she said it could possibly be due to malnutrition. So that's what we're aiming to fix.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
@Amandas Birds, I am so sorry to hear that and I'm sorry for your loss. I know I was crying horribly seeing my lovie seize up and see him sickly. Did your bird also have seizures and lose movement in his feet? Was wondering how common that was.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
There is another member here who lost her lovie to metal poisoning last year as well. It's always so sad. Lovies just really like chewing things, and sadly there's no regulation in what metal is allowed in bird toys. Their curiosity gets them into so much trouble some times.

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Hey how is your jelliebean doing today? I don't know he would like flail with his wings and be all limp hed fall and convulse. The first time it happened I'll explain, ok so he was on his perch up hi he was fine it seemed he chirped atme looked like he was excited then he took one step towards me and his facial features like fell and he stumbled i rushed to put my hand in to catch him he seemed to be shook but determined that he was ok so i petted him and he was shaking a little then stopped he quacked at me and then I went to poop him over the garbage can he stepped down onto the garbage can then he shriek-squeaked at me and went stiff and big with his wings his feet were knotted whole time.and he fell in the garbage can he fell backwards it was like strings were attached to him and he was being pulled taught but he was twitchy i reached in the garbage with both hands and he was convulsing his head lolling a bit i held him with his head in my hands then he went big again and real stiff then his wings started to go in big but they didn't goto his backthey went over his tummy and then he died that was his first seizure i did little heart pumps on his chest and he gasped and did small chirp i bawled so bad he did like 7 more seizures on seventh one he repeated the first but I couldn't save him i I hope your medicine works. Becaus no lie im traumatized i have two birds now... my experience with Butter's has made me very skeptical of all bird toys and pet shops. Because no one can verify what is actually made from they don't put the metals or types of wood its disgusting . Our feather babys have no one but us. I really pray your baby's Ferreira go back to normal and he recovers sunny side up my friend

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
My bird did the same thing. But he came back long enough for me to get him to the vet :(
It broke my heart reading that because I know exactly how I felt seeing my lovie do the same things. I'm super skeptical now of everything and every movement he does. Because I don't know what's normal and what's not for a bird.
I'm sorry again to hear of your lovies passing :(
Jellybean is doing alright today. He hears the birds chirping early in the morning and he wakes me up at 6:00 with his singing. Something new he's doing. Lol.

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Yay!!! So glad to hear ( or is that read) lol hope medicine and your love heal him good as brand new! Sure is lucky to have you in his life and imvery happy for you... and quite mad at the vet i went to if only he would of been honest I might still have my Butter's birdie. I had asked if was avian vet and had said oh yes dont worry I'll help it will be ok . Im sure a baboon would of done a better examination of my bird then that fony did Much love for your feathered beauty! And you to for being so kind hearted to him when was in need need more people like u in the world for sure

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
I'm so sorry to hear that!!! I would be heartbroken.
Thank you for your kind words!!

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
He's okay. He's starting to get sassy towards me again.
He has black lines on his wings. I dont know if that's normal. Slightly worried about that. And I found a bald spot on him and he's getting white feathers.

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
@Jellybeans3369
Hehehe hes adorable!!! Super cute i dont know much about love birds except they are very pretty so yah lol im not the one to ask about feathers.. the bald spot is scary... but same time the baldness could just mean he has been plucking feathers because he is probably stressed out and not feeling good or they bother him. Adam'sgramma had two cockatiel's and the ones neck was always bald my bird has some black spots but they r just his colorings... but my Butter's, who died, didn't and then got some close to the end. Yours is on medication too so maybe call your vet??? Ask him. He should know. My Brandi is a plucker.. i have to watch her and get on her case about it. Shes been like that since day one. No lie. I wonder if she will ever trust she is safe here. It's been three years and still shes afraid of everything. She high maintenance for sure she has some small spots (2 same wing)on her wings where is bald she plucks them like she's napping but she's fake napping so I pull her out her cage and try to get her to interact with me lil bit. Maybe watch him and see if he goes for bald spot and is plucking u should get your answer

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
Well I've been looking for colored feathers to see if he's plucking and I haven't found any! It's stressful. I was thinking of calling the vet again soon.
Maybe just the stress from almost dying did it

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
The black spots are probably feather wear from being a very active little guy. All my Maxi's got that with time running around. The bald spot MAY just be because he's all wet so his feathers don't lay right and compact down so I don't think I see anything that is a huge issue. IF the black spots truly are lines in the middle of the feathers and not on the edges then they are stress bars and happen when a bird has some health issues that obviously stress out his system but if he had heavy metal poisoning or anything else making him sick then that's probably the cause and hopefully you have found his issues and are treating them so as he gets better they should molt out and go away

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
He is doing so much better!
Thank you so much for your information. I was starting to get super worried.
He is also stretching his wings and foot multiple times dayley. Multiple multiple times. I never saw him do that until after he started having seizures when I found out he had metal poisoning.
Is that normal as well?