• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My lovebird had a seizure yesterday

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Fingers crossed. I had a friend with a bird who had an unfixed broken leg and walked on nubs for his entire life. The bird gets PT to the affected foot 2 to 3 times per day and it is helping. What you do is to open and close the foot and encourage perching. Good luck at the vets.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
Yeah I've been encouraging him to perch onto my finger whenever I take him out. And he tries to. He's doing pretty good. I was stretching his feet but then his other foot went out so I stopped because I was afraid it wasn't working. But I'll probably start doing it again. Vets tomorrow though!!!

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
Update; he's getting stronger really quickly!! When I first found Jellybean he was instantly attached to me. Then he got super distant and it didn't seem like he wanted anything to do with me.
Now I'm laying in bed with him on my chest as he's snuggling closer and closer into my neck. I think we have really bonded within this past week.
Fingers crossed for Jellybean. But I think with how he's doing right now it is definitely a positive sign.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Excellent news! Keep getting better Jellybean!! Be careful with lying in bed with him. You don't want to fall asleep and roll over on him.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww, maybe he knows you're saving him again! I believe that they can feel and perceive our love.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
It really is amazing how much love I have for this tiny bird. Lol.
Thank you guys.
I just saw his bottom beak is chipped? Like. He bit something and broke his bottom beak?? It's not bleeding and it's the very tip of the bottom beak.
Before his mouth was always kind of open because his bottom beak kept it open. Made it easier to put medicine in. Now his beaks able to fully close?
I don't think this is normal? Or is it?? Idk. He beak looked really rough a couple days ago. Now it seems smooth again and he can fully close his beak. He's still eating. I'll bring it up to the vet tomorrow.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He's beautiful. He looks like an opaline PF x masked hybrid; I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
@LunaLovebird, I don't know much about different breads of lovebirds? I thought it was a peach faced? Can you show me what you think it's a hybrid of? That would be really cool if it was.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
@LunaLovebird, I don't know much about different breads of lovebirds? I thought it was a peach faced? Can you show me what you think it's a hybrid of? That would be really cool if it was.
He looks like a hybrid of an opaline peach face LB and a masked LB. You can tell by the white eye ring (PFLB's don't have these), orange beak, and dark colouration on his cheeks.

Here's another example: http://www.albsaustralia.com/peachmasked.bmp (from Hybrid Lovebirds - The African Lovebird Society
of Australia Inc

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Jellybean is very handsome, indeed!

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
@LunaLovebird IMG_0945.JPG IMG_0875.JPG The one with me in it is the first day I found him.
The first photo is of a couple weeks ago. I don't know if seeing the full body of my bird would help. If he was a hybrid wouldn't his colors be as blue as the one in the photo?
Jellybean is such a mystery. I wish I knew his background. Lol.
Thanks for informing me he could possibly be a hybrid. Makes my little man more interesting.