• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My lovebird had a seizure yesterday

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Jellybeans3369 LOL yeah, I was wondering what your response would be to that! I really thought the dribbler was going to bite me because she has tried to do so previously when I gave her medication. I was ready! She's a fierce little thing when she wants to be.

Maybe you'll get lucky and the sugary little Bean will ease up on you! It makes you wish you had four hands when you have to do this against their will. Unfortunately the only thing that might make him resist less is if it doesn't taste so bad. Hopefully one of the suggestions you've received will please him! Though they really hate the syringe, too.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Whenever I have to medicate my birds I go in from the side (sometimes I have to pry the beak open with the syringe), bypass the tongue, and shoot the medicine down the back of the throat. I've found this to be the quickest way, and they cannot shake out the meds either, but it does take some practice. I also keep them standing on the table when toweled. I hope giving your bird the meds gets easier and he gets better soon!

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
Hey guys. Sorry for the late update.
I couldn't wait for two weeks and made an appointment for the 24th. He's officially lost both movement in both his feet and it's breaking my heart. He's taking the medicine easier. But he can't walk. It causes me pain to see my lovie like this. I don't know what to do.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
:grouphug2:I feel so bad for you and Jellybean.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry about Jellybean and his feet getting worse. If you can get him into the vet sooner that would be a good thing.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
I spent the spare $$ I had this month on jellybeans medication and X-ray :(
The vet said they'd waver my next visit (the two week one) because I don't have much money.
So in order for me to get the same vet (to waver my next appointment) I'd have to wait till the 24th because no one else would waver my appointment.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Can you ask if they'll move it up until tomorrow? They may have to keep him over night. In that case, I would ask if they would be amenable to a payment plan. Or there is Care Credit (I think that's what it is).

I know of another lovebird who had a similar thing with the feet. I believe his problem was a nasty fungal infection. One foot has been permanently scrunched up since he made it through treatment (but he did make it through, so take heart from that), but he gets around fine.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Many vets will not charge if you bring in your bird for a recheck within a reasonable time after the initial visit for the same health issue.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm sorry his feet have gotten worse.:sadhug: Sending prayers for little Jellybean.:angel1: I hope they let you bring him in sooner...

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
com'on little one, get better soon

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
I don't know. The woman I spoke to said that it would have to be with the same vet??? I hope it's not an infection..... I hope they can splint him up and call it good. But things are never that easy. Would the antibiotics they gave me be helping with that if it was a fungal infection??

So sorry again for late replies. Schools started back up and I have work. I try to reply when I can. If anything gets better or worse I'll keep you guys updated. I promise.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
He isn't making much noise. Being kinda sassy. But I think that's because he can't walk. I think if he just got his legs back he'd be okay.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Metal poisoning is very serious and his little body is fighting hard, so I'm sure he's exhausted, plus not feeling well. I can imagine he might be quieter. But sassy is very good. If he has energy to sass you, he has energy to keep fighting.