• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My lovebird had a seizure yesterday

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
This is my first post so let me start off saying I have never owned a bird before a month ago. I went to a dentists appointment and my dentist found a lovebird outside trying to get in. My dentists office is in a field. So this lovebird must have come from a little ways in the cold windy California weather. It was biting everyone except me. So I told them I'd handle the bird because my mom wanted it. She changed her mind and I ended up with Jellybean, my peach faced lovebird. That I now love sincerely. Anyways, I nursed it back to health but saw it was pooping really huge green diarrhea blobs. It wasn't every time though so I didn't think much of it. Well, yesterday I uncovered its cage and it fell off its perch and started seizing. I freaked. Brought it to the vets. Did an X-ray and they said they saw something in its stomach. Probably metal. I checked my house and I don't think it came from me so I think possibly it ate something before I got it? I don't know. I don't really own much of metal things and his cage seems to be intact along with his toys.
When I brought Jellybean to the vets. His left foot was totally curled into a ball. The vets said to come back in two weeks after giving him three diff types of medicine. But now it looks like his other foots going out as well. What can I do???? My main concern right now are his feet. He hasn't seized but I don't want the poor bird to live if it can't even walk on it's own feet. Do I need to exercise them to regain strength? If so. How do I do bird feet therapy? I don't want him to be in pain.
PS. Since I rescued it. I don't know if it's a boy or a girl.
Any help is welcomed. I apologize if this is in the wrong forum but now he's just biting his feet and I'm scared now. I just don't want him in pain.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
I brought it to the vets yesterday and they said to give them this two types of medicine every 12 hours and a third medicine every day. They said I needed to bring it home? I don't know what to do. It just breaks my heart to see it hurt. I try stretching its feet. And I've been making sure it drinks and eats. Is this the best I can do? Anything specific for the feet part?
And of course. I'm glad I did. I love Jellybean.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am so sorry this is happening. I know your are very concerned and did the right thing to take your bird to a vet. Was the vet avian certified? Does you bird have a name yet? Wishing you all the best and I hope your bird recovers.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I would lower the perches and maybe get some fleece for inside if he falls again. It is a bit odd that they wouldn't keep him at the vet for treatment (I had thought that was the norm). Not much else you can do I guess :(

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
JellyBean is very lucky to find you.
I hope JB can overcome this.
If you haven't already done so, please lower JB's perches and put a towel or something soft on the cage floor.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
I took out anything he could climb onto. His feet aren't really working anyways so he's mainly using his beak (or me) to get him places. Yeah, I expected them to but they told me to take him home. they saw I was kind of on a budget (as I just moved to a new city by myself to go to college) so maybe they didn't think I could afford it. Which I might not have been able to :(
But I did all the tests they recommended me doing. (Ouch on my wallet but anything for my baby)
I'll put soft towels in the cage. I put paper towels on the bottom to begin with. I've kept him in a smaller cage because all he's doing is laying and sleeping and eating.
Thank you guys.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
You are doing all you can for the moment. It is a hopeful sign that jellybean still eats and drinks . I would call the vet asap (emer. no.?) and ask if they're treating for metal poison and inform them he's gotten worse. Hopefully it will be a case of getting worse befor better. Get details on what you're treating for and when you should see results. Jellybean is lucky to have you. I hope you can give us good news soon.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking Jellybean into your home and bringing him to the vet. Do check with the vet regarding the diagnosis. What medications is he getting? I hope that he will be OK. Sending positive thoughts your way for Jellybean's recovery.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
I've only given him his medicine twice so far. Another dosage at 3:00 PM today. He's kind of doing better and Also kind of doing worse? Because he hasn't had a seizure since yesterday. Which is good. But his other foot is getting worse. Which isn't good.
They said it would take two weeks up to four months. So they told me to come back in two weeks. My vet is closed today but they said I'd get a phone call Monday so I'll talk to them then. They said they gave me a medicine for the metal (two diff bottles) and one bottle for an antibiotic.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
If it would help I can look on the bottles for the actual names? But currently Jellybean has fallen asleep on me at the moment. I do hope he recovers. I was a crying mess yesterday. I thought Jellybean died in my hands! He had a seizure and then collapsed in my hands before I brought him to the vet. I don't want to say bye to him yet. If ever.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope little Jellybean will be okay! I'm glad you found him and are helping him. Maybe once he wakes up you can let us know what types of meds they are. Maybe someone here will have some more insight.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope Jellybean will be ok. Yes please post the meds and dosage when you can. Is Jellybean eating ok?

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
I'm just going to write what each one says.
#1)
Flagyl 250mg Tablet/#1 tablet -50mg/mL (Watermellon flavored) : Please give 0.02mL by mouth once daily for 10 days.

#2)
DMSA 50mg/ml 1/4 oz. /#1 Dispensing units - Please give 0.03 mL by mouth every 12 hours for 5 days, then no medication for 2 days. Then give 0.03mL by mouth every 12 hours for 5 days, then no medication for two.

#3)
Ciprofloxin 500 mg/tab/#0.5 tablet - 50mg/mL (Orange Flavored): Please give 0.02mL by mouth every 12 hours for 14 days.

He seems to be eating alright. I don't see him drink too much though.
Sorry for the late reply guys. Thanks again

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Ok, your bird is getting two anti-biotics(Flagyl and Ciprofloxicin), so one would think that he exhibited infections.

The DMSA is a chelating agent (I didn't think it was used any more. I thought that C-edta was the most common treatment now). I had to give it to my Hank and it is nasty tasting and even more nasty smelling - but it works well. Be careful that you give exactly the dosage called for. DMSA can be dangerous if overdosed. Here is good information about Zinc and Lead toxicity (the most common).
https://thegabrielfoundation.org/wp...1/HeavyMetalToxicosis-in-Birds-LafeberVet.pdf

It will take more than a day or so to see results, so don't panic yet.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
Thank you so much for telling me that!!!!! He gladly accepts the antibiotics (probably because of the flavors) but he shakes his head at the most important one!! I saw him spit some out after I fed him DMSA! What do I do when that happens?
But yes. It smells horrid.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Thank you so much for telling me that!!!!! He gladly accepts the antibiotics (probably because of the flavors) but he shakes his head at the most important one!! I saw him spit some out after I fed him DMSA! What do I do when that happens?
But yes. It smells horrid.
@Hankmacaw would know best, but you could try mix it with apple juice? Or alternatively, get the DMSA into him, and syringe a little apple juice in after so it's not so unpalatable. If he's not taking it at all, maybe call first thing to ask about the other chelating drug mentioned, or call around other vets.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
I was thinking of squeezing some fresh orange juice and adding it to the DMSA but I didn't know if it would be a problem or not.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
My instincts are saying something less acidic than orange juice is better...like apple juice. Are you able to go to the grocery store to get some baby apple juice? That way you can get a small jar.