• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My lovebird died

Sun_conure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Penelope
Hello

A few weeks ago (2), my beloved Rochelle. We had burned insence all day for three days straight, so now I believe that is why.

Are there any safe ways to keep the house smelling good?

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Vinegar/ water solution. If you plan on getting another bird, you can't use candles, perfumes, incense, etc. No exception.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
I don't know of anything safe for them apart from a few natural things, as sunnysmom mentioned above. I'm so sorry for your loss of your little one. If you ever plan on getting another bird, please do keep in mind that there are many fumes that, even in low levels, can kill them. This includes (but isn't just) cooking with nonstick cookware, burning candles/incense/food/fireplaces or anything really, and running the self-cleaning function on ovens. There are lots of precautions to be aware of when getting a bird, please be sure you consider the safety of your house thoroughly if you ever plan on adopting a new bird.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I am very sorry for your loss. You can boil oranges and cinnamon sticks.
When you get them boiling, pour them into a crockpot - costs less to run ;)

I use vingar/water/essential oil mix to spray my sofa down. But I wash the covers regularly, same with curtains.
Then I mop the floor daily and live with my patio doors open most days all year round.

I use candles in my bedroom.

If you don´t smoke, just mopping the floors and washing/spraying the fabrics should keep the house smelling nice without the need for candles etc

A while back I stopped buying commercial cleaners and started to make my own. Cheaper and safer for animals and more importantly, safer for us :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
(If you don´t smoke, just mopping the floors and washing/spraying the fabrics should keep the house smelling nice without the need for candles etc)

DO NOT SPRAY anything around your birds! Use lemon or orange, cinnamon, vanilla beans, simmering to freshen. Washing with regular laundry soap is ok, but dont EVER use Febreze, or Lysol, or anything like that.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
(If you don´t smoke, just mopping the floors and washing/spraying the fabrics should keep the house smelling nice without the need for candles etc)

DO NOT SPRAY anything around your birds! Use lemon or orange, cinnamon, vanilla beans, simmering to freshen. Washing with regular laundry soap is ok, but dont EVER use Febreze, or Lysol, or anything like that.
I thought I explained in my post clearer. Obviously not. Last time i touched febreeze was 10 years ago.

I use vingar/water/essential oil mix to spray my sofa down. But I wash the covers regularly, same with curtains.
A while back I stopped buying commercial cleaners and started to make my own. Cheaper and safer for animals and more importantly, safer for us

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I am so sorry for your loss

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I'm so sorry for your loss. Boiling potpourri is a good idea if you don't want the vinegar smell. I use stuff from grove to freshen my home and use their cleaning products.

Sun_conure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Penelope
thank you all so much for this ^^ I'll be sure to look into this when I get a new birbo <3 I can't live without them

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
thank you all so much for this ^^ I'll be sure to look into this when I get a new birbo <3 I can't live without them
Make sure you do your research first. There are lots of things you can’t use around birds. Anything with Teflon that has a heating function, for example.

Sun_conure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Penelope
Make sure you do your research first. There are lots of things you can’t use around birds. Anything with Teflon that has a heating function, for example.
Yeah, my mom recently told me we don't own any Teflon stuff ^^

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yeah, my mom recently told me we don't own any Teflon stuff ^^
It´s good that you´re aware of teflon. It´s also used in waffle makers, plug in grilled sandwich makers, some hair crimping/straightening tools, some hairdryers, certain rice cookers too.
It is in a lot, I never realised how much stuff i had with it ´til i got my first bird :(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss.

Sun_conure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Penelope
It´s good that you´re aware of teflon. It´s also used in waffle makers, plug in grilled sandwich makers, some hair crimping/straightening tools, some hairdryers, certain rice cookers too.
It is in a lot, I never realised how much stuff i had with it ´til i got my first bird :(
cheese and rice that's a lot

I'm going to check with my hairdryer even though we don't use it.... and when my Grandma moves in she uses hers a lot :blink: