• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Lorikeet 'Percy' so humanly affectionate...

Capt Rusty

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Capt Russell A Kirkham
Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone else out there has a Lorikeet with similar endearing habits !
Our little Percy, a 14 week old Lori, recently acquired from a pet store in NSW, has been hand reared from 4 weeks old, we just had her only a week. She prefers to be on my shoulders as apposed to one of her 2 cages that we have for her. In particular she likes to cuddle up to the back of my neck, she (not sure is male or female), we just say she, will literally stay on my shoulders for hours on end, not minding where I walk around nor what I am doing task wise, this includes vacuuming around!
She, even likes to smuggle into our pillow or some old clothing in our bed, its most unusual, but she seems to be so comfortable.
Is this typical Lorikeet behavior, or have we just found an extreme affectionate seeking bird ;)
Cheers,
Rusty

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I have no experience with the species but babies in general young birds can be very sweet & cuddly. This can change once they mature.
Sound cute.

Hi to you in NSW...my parents live in a small town named Tenterfield

:heart:

Capt Rusty

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Capt Russell A Kirkham
Hi Camelot....
Yes, Percy is very much still a baby, but, we have had baby birds before, however never a Lorikeet, this is our first Lori. We have never before witnessed such affection with any bird, she is so human like, it is very strange. She hates to be alone, and if she is left for more than an hour or so, she will tweek so loud its ear piercing, once she sees one of us, she is immediately quiet, then she will flutter from the top of her cage to our shoulder. If we are wearing a hoodie style top, she will find an opening around the neckline and enter it to be close to our skin (I assume seeking warmth). In the case of my wife (who has very long hair, alternate to me, who is totally shaved), Percy will make a nest behind my wifes neck and in her hair, only popping her head out to observe whats going on. Its hilarious to witness, she will literally remain in their all day if we permit, and even doesnt mind going into the car and walking around various stores in the mall.
I am quite amazed at her behavior to be honest, but we dont mind, its quite livable!

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
My tiel Odin the the same way. We have only had him for a month and he will sit on my shoulder and stay with me as I go about my business. On the weekends, he is with me all day and sticks on me all day! :) I enjoy it.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
she sounds adorable

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
All of our lories (which we have had since weaning) were like that when they were bubs......soon changes..... Lol

Hormones..... :sneaky: