• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My little Meyer's is sick :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirdyGirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erica
Hi everyone. I haven't posted on here for a while, but figured tonight is as good a night as any.
I woke up this morning, got myself ready to go to the parrot shelter (I volunteer at my "happy place" on Sundays and Mondays) and set about uncovering my birds.
When I uncovered my Meyer's, Scooby, I was startled to see a big splotch of orange on the cage paper. Upon looking closer, I found that Scooby had matted pieces of orange "stuff" on his head feathers and there was lots of orange "stuff" flung all over his cage. I quickly realized that my poor little guy had vomited... all over!

I called the parrot shelter for some advice and to let them know I wasn't coming in today. I wanted to stay home and keep a close eye on Scooby. He sat out on my shoulder for about an hour or so and pretty much just slept. He's not a super-active bird by any means and does sleep on my shoulder quite a bit, but this was shortly after he woke up. About an hour after he was on my shoulder, I saw that he had a mouth full of mucusy-looking foam. He was trying to get it out of his mouth and ended up rubbing it on my sweatshirt. I put him on my leg so that I could see him better (hard to keep turning my head to observe him on my shoulder). I was rubbing his head and his neck started moving side-to-side and he was stretching his neck, acting like he was going to regurgitate. It was a slightly different look than regurgitating though. As I continued to watch, he brought up another round of mucus that ended up hanging like a big drool out of his mouth. He was trying hard to get it off/out of his mouth.
That did it for me. I put him in his travel carrier and off we went to the emergency exotic animal vet (I love how emergencies always seem to happen after normal vet hours or on Sundays!)

I took his cage paper so that the vet could see the orange vomit from this morning. She examined him, said that he was alert and responding and his chest, crop and overall body all felt good. They did a mouth swab after I told him that he frequently has mouth infections. The results of the swab showed a slight mouth infection, but nothing that should have caused the vomiting (he's NEVER vomited in all the time I've had him, even with all the mouth infections).

She put him on an antibiotic and told me to keep an eye on him. She said if he gets worse, bring him back, otherwise, follow up with his regular avian vet. She said his regular vet may want to do a crop wash (not sure what that is) or an x-ray to see what is going on.

Sorry for this super-long post. Has anyone ever had an experience like this before? Scooby hasn't thrown up anymore since we've come home, but he hasn't really eaten much either. I did give him his first dose of antibiotics about an hour and a half ago. Since then, he's just been resting quietly, mostly with his head turned around and tucked into his wing. :sad8:

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I am so sorry Scooby is not feeling well. If he is sleeping a lot, he obviously is not well. The best thing to do is to keep him warm. Do you have a heating pad?

Is Scooby puffy?

MessyBeaks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Leigh
I'm sorry to hear about Scooby :( Which antibiotic are you using right now? I think a crop wash involves using a gavage needle to rinse the crop a few times to remove any remaining food and then they can test what's in it and/or rinse with an antibiotic or antifungal if necessary.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
So sorry to read about Scooby. It is so stressful when they get sick :(
I don't know much about things like that, I wonder if it is a yeast infection? Like I said, I don't know much about that stuff.
Please keep us updated.

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
I am so very sorry to hear about Scooby. It is horrible when our birds are sick.

Do you have a Dyphembacia, or Dumb cane plant?
My conure Maizy got some of mine ::when I first got her and didn't know about it being bad for birds:: and she vomited. It wasn't orange though.

I hope the little guy is feeling better soon. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Anna

ArloDuncan

Real Name
Steve
That's so scarry I hope he will be ok please keep us posted on his progress. hope he makes a speedy recovery will be thinking about him and sending good thoughts....

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
How is Scooby today?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
First Scooby needs to be in a hospital cage, perches and food low, heating pad set on low under one side and possibly tented on 3 sides and the top.

Second, Scooby needs to get in to see a avian vet immediately, today. Is he pooing at all? Is he able to drink any liquids? I would start offering him 50/50 clear pedylite and water.

Ginger

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
I hope that Scooby is feeling better! :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I agree with Ginger. An antifungal is generally prescribed along with an antibiotic.
Hope Scooby will be well soon. Sending healing energy.:hug8:

BirdyGirl

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erica
I am so sorry Scooby is not feeling well. If he is sleeping a lot, he obviously is not well. The best thing to do is to keep him warm. Do you have a heating pad?

Is Scooby puffy?

Yes, I have a heating pad. I also have a humidifier with warm steam running in his room. He's not puffy at all. Aside from the vomiting and being sleepy, he's completely normal.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, heat will work wonders for a sick bird, (85 degrees). Is your bird still vomiting?

gary

BirdyGirl

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erica
Thanks everyone for your kind words and advice!

I'm happy to say that Scooby has not vomited even once since we got home from the vet yesterday. He's not happy with me b/c I'm having to medicate him (he's on Baytril - sp?). It's an antibiotic.

This morning, he was alert, not at all puffy, eating some food and stepped up for some head rubs.

I'm at work this morning, but am leaving at noon and will work from home this afternoon to keep an eye on him. I haven't noticed him eating a lot, so I'm going to weigh him when I get home.

Will keep you posted on his condition.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Do you have emergency hand feeding formula and feeding supplies at home? You should see results from the baytril in 24-36 hours, it may reduce his appetite. It is always a good idea to verify dosages of medications you give your birds, ask if you have questions.

A hospital cage as mentioned is a good idea. Monitor the birds poop for color, volume, consistency.

Last edited:

BirdyGirl

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erica
First Scooby needs to be in a hospital cage, perches and food low, heating pad set on low under one side and possibly tented on 3 sides and the top.

Second, Scooby needs to get in to see a avian vet immediately, today. Is he pooing at all? Is he able to drink any liquids? I would start offering him 50/50 clear pedylite and water.

Ginger
Thanks Ginger. Yes, Scooby is pooping and he's drinking water and eating today. I came home from work this afternoon so that I can work from home and keep an eye on him.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Wow, how scare. Get better soon!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope he gets better soon :hug8:

BirdyGirl

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erica
Scooby is definitely perkier tonight. He just left a nice big, firm poop on my shoulder (thank goodness for bird forums... where else could you talk about poop like that?!) and I caught him chewing on my hair - little stinker! Almost time for another dose of meds, which means he will stop "speaking" to me again. He HATES getting meds :-(

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
hun hope scoobie is better as for his meds hell love you more when hes better have you checked the others to make sure itd nothing that can be passed on

huds hope hes well soon

Status
Not open for further replies.