• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My little feather project

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I just wanted to share a little something I am doing at the moment. It will be a working progress as I cannot complete this now.

Yesterday, I looked in Lapis and Nubes nest box and they have each dropped one feather. Their first! I collect feathers so I picked the feathers up, and I was inspired to do something with them.

I have drawn (on the computer) my birds family tree. Next, I´m going to decorate it by sticking feathers around/near their names, and finally I will frame it.

tree.png

So obviously I only have one feather for both Lapis and Nube, and it could be another 4-5 months before I get a first feather from Adelie, but I can always take it out of the frame and add those later.

I have all the good sized feathers Sydney and Jaime have ever dropped (minus destroyed ones) and same with Aldora whilst she has lived with me.
I keep good sized down type feathers to fill my xmas bauble.

Rubber duck didn´t make it onto the family tree as he has no feathers ergo did not qualify.

I thought I´d share this to maybe give you an idea of something you could do with your feathers, Even if your birds aren´t related, you can still put the names on the page without the lines and put their feathers around them.
When I pick up a frame tomorrow I´ll update with a picture :D

What do you guys do with your birds feathers?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Great idea. :) I haven't done it yet, but @BirdGuy21's girlfriend does lovely portrait painting on feathers. I have feathers from Elvis and Sunny set aside for that. And like you, I also plan to fill some Christmas ornaments with smaller feathers.

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
That's a cute idea. I've started saving Emery's. I'm planning on creating some kind of art with them. I'm still deciding on what that will be. :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Great idea. :) I haven't done it yet, but @BirdGuy21's girlfriend does lovely portrait painting on feathers. I have feathers from Elvis and Sunny set aside for that. And like you, I also plan to fill some Christmas ornaments with smaller feathers.
Cool! Yea I used the smaller whispy feathers for the xmas deco as they fit into the bauble better and I don´t collect those with the blood feathers.

That's a cute idea. I've started saving Emery's. I'm planning on creating some kind of art with them. I'm still deciding on what that will be. :)
I was originally going to make a dream catcher however I feel this is better as they won´t get ruined over time. When I have done this one I will still have feathrs leftover and more falling so I can always make another arty type thing in the future... maybe a collage type thing... who knows :D

So the idea, I thought, was good.. But it's quite hard to glue down feathers and took me a few go's to get the hang of it. So I wish I hadn't started with Lapis' only feather but hey ho too late now.

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
So pretty!! I love following ideas of what to do with shed feathers. I still have a bunch of Waffle's baby feathers in a ziploc baggie. Trying to figure out how to preserve them for another (hopefully) 20 years... that may be a lost cause, though!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is beautiful and creative!

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
What a beautiful idea! I just collect my birds' feathers in a jar and then mail them off to various artist friends who use them.

I really want to do something like this, now!

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
That's a really clever idea!

Out of curiosity, what font are you using for the text? :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Nube has been helping me with the project ❤
IMG_20190204_124443.jpg IMG_20190204_124455.jpg