• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My little canary

DreamQuestin

Moving in
Real Name
Deb Johnston
Greetings folks,

So I finally got to see my little baby, and forgive me this, but wow is s/he a baby only a mother could love :). I am so curious what s/he will look like when grown up. Sadly, the sibling didn't make it :(. The parents are taking very good care of the babies and this little guy seems to be getting pudgy. I really hope s/he makes it (s/he is just over two weeks now, they think). His/her dad is a white canary and her/his mom a red factor.

I have a cage to start up with. A place nice and high without access by the cats (near human guardian all day) and will move the little guy to my room at night so human guardians are still near by.

Do you folks have a preferred brand of food? Should I try giving the lil one on red factor food once away from parents? Will it bother the little guy if there is no red to bring out?

Bring on the advice :) please.

Attachments

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
Congrats. Whe I had my red factor I gave him the red food during molting. It helps to keep the new feathers coming in bright. No it won't bother him. I personally use Higgins and lots of fruits,vegies and pretty much any human food you want to try.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Awww, cute little baby. :)

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Congrats hope the lil one does well ...cant wait to see the pics once s/he is feathered out :)

DreamQuestin

Moving in
Real Name
Deb Johnston
Greetings folks,

Not knowing near enough about these lovely birds, I approached some local breeders of Canaries. One is convinced that I was misinformed and that the mom is not a red factor but a bronze. I was looking at the picture I have of the dad, and wonder if it is possible he isn't white after all? If you zoom in on the pics he has very very pale orange coloring around the head. Could he be colored too but not being colorfed looks washed out white?

What do you feed a Bronze as opposed to Red canary?

I will post the pics I have of the parents. As ever, I welcome thoughts (sorry, not great pics but I am trying not to stress the little family out at this point). The lighter (white) one is the dad, the darker reddish one is the mom.

Thank you so much for your assistance and well wishes. I really feel like a kid Christmas Eve with this little guy. I want to do what is best for her/him. Working on a name too :)

Attachments

DreamQuestin

Moving in
Real Name
Deb Johnston
Greetings folks!

Wow this little beauty is growing like the proverbial weed! I am, however, a mite confused. (S)he is quite yellow. Not a complaint :) just surprised. Could it be just because they haven't fed him any red food? If I feed her/him red foods is it possible the darker feathers or the white feathers (s)he has on the underside will be red(dish) next moult? Such a cheeky little baby.

I have decided to name the little one Jaron which means "Singing". I get to bring Jaron home in the next week or so!

With a smile,
Deb

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
So adorable! I love canaries. I was thinking of adding one to my bird room. When will you know it's sex?

DreamQuestin

Moving in
Real Name
Deb Johnston
Greetings Mek006000! From what I have read determining sex is no easy task. Seems most take it on faith a canary is male when it sings, but there have been females that sing (not as often, but sometimes) but the definitive would be lays eggs. :) I don't mind Jaron's gender, it has been an honour watching from egg to this little bird :)

With a smile,
DreamQuestin aka Deb