• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Jardine parrot

Tanyacody

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tanya
Hi i am new to this forum and would appreciate any help possible
I have a 3 year old Jardine parrot,we had brought him home when he was just 8 weeks old,we recently bought him a brand new cage and he just refuses to go into it,when we brought him home we had a cage made for him it is now old and I am scared that he might get poked with the wire that's sticking out.He never plays in he's old cage during the day,he only used to go into the cage at night,I now want him to sleep in he's new cage but he just refuses he gets scared and it makes me anxious I don't want him to get stressed or sick.I love him to bits and wouldn't want to force him into something he doesn't like but I also know it's for he's safety.Any ideas how I can get him to sleep in there without being scared?thanks in advance

Attachments

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Welcome :greet9:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. Try starting with a bowl hanging on the open door. Make sure he sees you put a few of his favorite treats in it. After he is comfortable taking treats from the bowl move it closer to the interior of the cage. It may take a while with you gradually moving the bowl into the cage.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Just take it slow like @zoo mom suggested. Try putting the new cage right next to the old cage. Put some toys in it and use his favorite treats to lure him. It might take a few weeks, but he should get used to it eventually.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Agree with the others that it's a good idea to put the new cage near the one he is now so he gets used to it and also put some treats on or in the cage. Put something that he is familiar with in the new cage such as a favorite perch or toy.

Tanyacody

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tanya
Thanks for all the replies
He's routine normally starts of with him waking up in the morning talking and whistling for us to open he's cage he then goes onto he's play pen and plays alittle then comes onto the bed to sleep with us,when we wake up he wants to come into the kitchen to have breakfast with us,if we don't take him he screams until we do take him or he walks around looking for us,after breakfast he plays in the lounge on the window until the evening then around 5 he goes into he's cage to sleep,I think we have spoilt him.I am definitely going to try all what you guys said i just hope it works,the ultimate goal is to get him to stay in he's cage during the day when we are out(he eats up all our furniture and curtains),he is I think obsessed with my boyfriend,if he's at home he never leaves his shoulder,he wants to be carried and kissed all the time by him.