• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures My hydroponic kit arrived!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Here is my pea - took another pic just now as it grows so fast!

Looks great! My lights are high in the farm so mine are leggy. When I get my new harvest I’ll move six peas in there and put the lights low.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Looks great! My lights are high in the farm so mine are leggy. When I get my new harvest I’ll move six peas in there and put the lights low.
well that stinks. I thought the lights were "motorized for easy adjustment". I'd think they should go far down for seed starting, how far do they go?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
There are other brands, Natalie. If you put in a search for hydroponics in Amazon, lots of different ones come up. Mine's a Click And Grow. Miracle Gro do one too. They are expensive though... which is why I took about 6 months to decide to get one.
Yep the shipping is what is putting me off. It is the same cost as the unit. Click and Grow doesn't seem easy to get a hold of here either. We do have a hydroponics shops with all kinds of stuff here. I just thought the units you guys are getting are really attractive looking for a table top or bird room addition. I think I would be better building my own system if I decide to go that route.

For now I can enjoy yours via photos of cute baby plants! :smileflower:

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Yep the shipping is what is putting me off. It is the same cost as the unit. Click and Grow doesn't seem easy to get a hold of here either. We do have a hydroponics shops with all kinds of stuff here. I just thought the units you guys are getting are really attractive looking for a table top or bird room addition. I think I would be better building my own system if I decide to go that route.

For now I can enjoy yours via photos of cute baby plants! :smileflower:
Awwwwww - sorry, Natalie. :(

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Oops, forgot all about the filtered water having most everything filtered out. Maybe tap water is best after all. :huh:

Maybe I should start feeding Farlie tap water too?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oops, forgot all about the filtered water having most everything filtered out. Maybe tap water is best after all. :huh:

Distilled water can be dangerous. It is for cleaning or car batteries, not ideal for organisms. :huh:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz

Filtered water is fine. I have a Brita water filter and used that for my hydroponic tank. Bottled spring water is fine too.

It's distilled water (water that has been boiled into steam and that steam condensed back into water in a separate container) that leaches minerals out of living organisms because it contains none. I use distilled water for diffusing, nebulizing and also to spray the birds with, but not to drink.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I may learn more once I get it and read the manual. ;)
It's killing me and I'm really considering breaking into my piggy bank to buy it this week instead of waiting til payday. Eek!

Another video, 5 mins long. Very realistic, BTW. It's not the all cleaned up version. ;)

Last edited:

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I'm getting this model come payday next month. It has fewer gadgets to break down on me and cost about $10 less to boot.
https://www.amazon.com/AeroGarden-Classic-Gourmet-Herb-Seed/dp/B010NBJMLI/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=aerogarden+harvest+classic&qid=1555315748&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-3&th=1&psc=1

I wish I had the room for an indoor farm/garden...

Well, I've done it again, changed my mind. Because of space limitations in this tiny apartment of mine, I'm going to buy the smaller one called the Sprout. It's the 3 hole model.
https://www.aerogarden.com/sprout.html

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
That looks good Rick, and a good price. Bet you buy another in the future! :D Really like that you don't have to put it by a window.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
That was a great video too. Interesting about pinching out the flowers for bigger berries if they flower before 4 sets of leaves have formed. I feel like getting a smaller kit just for strawberries! Ollie (Orange-winged Amazon) would be in seventh heaven - he LOVES strawberries!! I am learning so much! Thank you!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Well, I've done it again, changed my mind. Because of space limitations in this tiny apartment of mine, I'm going to buy the smaller one called the Sprout. It's the 3 hole model.
https://www.aerogarden.com/sprout.html
I like my sprout. I also have a Harvest.
The big difference between the 2 is the water circ pump.
In the sprout it sounds more like a fish tank pump and runs all the time the lights are on.
In the Harvest it is a quieter circulator that only runs a few minutes every hour.
I alternate the 2 models to grow greens, right now I have 3 different romaines going in the sprout.
If you grow something like a tomato in a sprout, that is all there will be room for.

edit - be aware you do not have a choice of light cycle, so hopefully it will not interfere with you or Farlie's sleep. You can just turn the switch off if it comes to it.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
That looks good Rick, and a good price. Bet you buy another in the future! :D Really like that you don't have to put it by a window.
I have thot about that and I might later down the road. :D It's the space here. I have no room. :arghh:
I believe it was only $48 USD total with discounts. :wideyed:

OMG I am thinking of buying an Aero Garden Harvest and buying my own seeds....
You can't go wrong if you do. ;)
I like my sprout. I also have a Harvest.
The big difference between the 2 is the water circ pump.
In the sprout it sounds more like a fish tank pump and runs all the time the lights are on.
In the Harvest it is a quieter circulator that only runs a few minutes every hour.
I alternate the 2 models to grow greens, right now I have 3 different romaines going in the sprout.
If you grow something like a tomato in a sprout, that is all there will be room for.

edit - be aware you do not have a choice of light cycle, so hopefully it will not interfere with you or Farlie's sleep. You can just turn the switch off if it comes to it.
Yes, I did read everything about it before I made the purchase. ;) It has a 16-hour timer inside. Whenever you turn it on the timer starts.
It'll go in the kitchen so it shouldn't bother either of us. :)
Tomatoes and strawberries should not be grown together, so tomatoes are first. :D Farlie can't eat tomatoes and he doesn't like any fruit so all the more for me. :hehe:

:thankyou: I'll post pix!!!

UPDATE: I've just been notified that my supplies from Amazon have been shipped.
ALSO, my AeroGarden is on the way too. :bounce8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I use distilled water also. When the plants get larger i trim the roots so they don't wrap around the pump. 3 have sprouted out of four year old seed pods. Waiting for the dill.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Only issue I ran into with my aerogarden is in a power failure. Lights and timer go out if you don't have a battery backup. You also need to re set the timer and that's a bear when you are on double digit day of planting.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
well that stinks. I thought the lights were "motorized for easy adjustment". I'd think they should go far down for seed starting, how far do they go?
Not as far down as the harvest. I don’t yet know how to raise lower them. There are arrow icons which didn’t do anything

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Not as far down as the harvest. I don’t yet know how to raise lower them. There are arrow icons which didn’t do anything
sounds like you have them on speed dial already, so I'd say give them a call for something that expensive.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
sounds like you have them on speed dial already, so I'd say give them a call for something that expensive.
I’m sure I’m not doing it right. I’ll call tomorrow