• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My house is about to become even more chaotic ..

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
If that's even possible.

But a my fiance's friend has an umbrella cockatoo ( female about 16 )
And they contacted us today because they knew we just recently took in Charlie , and asked if she could come stay with us while they get more stable, as she in the middle of a nasty divorce and has become basically homeless ( witch we had no idea as she has been so private about it and finally told us and our hearts were breaking as she is one of the most loving kind amazing people we have ever met).
So she asked if we could take her baby for a little while, so she can focus on herself, her mental health and get herself back on her feet !
Of course we said yes, because we have been homeless ourselrs before and know what it's like!
So this coming weekend we have Kesha coming to stay with us.
Our friend is bringing her for a full vet work up this week, but we were wondering how long do you corentine for? And what do you consider that to be? Separate rooms? Separate rooms on separate floors? Always washing hands before interatcing with next bird, ect?
Also, I know what it's like to have Charlie, but I'm assuming there is a difference in goffins to umbrellas / males to females. And of course just every bird themself is different,
Any advice would be helpful as we want to make this as less of a stressful time as possible , Kesha also started plucking her cheast recently from not getting the love and attention she is use to, and spending more and more time alone, and from her home being a nice calm loving environment to a very loud, screaming fighting toxic one.

I must admit, I am a little nervous as I just hope I'm not taking on more then I can handle.
As we just recently got Charlie and I'm working really hard with him and forming our bond and trust.
Kyle has promised he will step in more and help me with Kesha since he it's his friend and he was the one that orginally said yes.
I know it's not forever and just for the next few weeks, but I'm also scared of becoming attached to her and then when we give her back u be heart broken !
But I am happy to help and become friends with this beautiful girl, she is a very sweet little lady.
So any advice
And wish me luck!
Hopefully I'm still sane by the end of this! LOL

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
ARE YOU NUTS??? :rofl:

Oh wait of course you are, you’re one of us.

You’re going to get attached. It’s painful to watch them leave. But you are doing it for the best of reasons!

Quarantine is 30 to 90 days depending on who you talk to. Since this bird has been in her home, he hasn’t been exposed to others lately (I assume?) but has he ever had a vet visit? Could you ask that he have one before he comes in?

When you quarantine you want to put them as far apart as possible — if you had 2 separate air systems you’d want him on a different one than your current fid. Wash hands at the very least between birds, and don’t switch their food/water dishes with each other.

Good luck! :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
She goes for her routine e checkups and she's bringing her tomarrow to the vet to make sure everything is good so we aren't bringing anything into the house that could be harmful to Charlie!
I swear sometimes I think I'm crazy! Lol!
That is awesome! Perfect.

I hope you knew I was kidding. i think you did....but want to be sure.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I swear sometimes I think I'm crazy!
You're not!

Yes, I've done the same thing you're about to do...sunnysmom's Elvis the G2, is visiting us while Michelle's fiance is recovering from surgery. And yes, Milton the U2 and the rest of our zoo is still will us.

Quarantine was not a problem for us...Elvis had a check up just before he came (he's also an "only bird") and our guys are routinely checked by our AV...so no quarantine.

And yes, it will be hard when Kesha goes back to her Mom...I know it will be hard when Elvis goes back home to Michelle and Howie.

My advice is to make sure Kesha is located in a calm, quiet area when she arrives...she'll probably be upset moving to your home...that along with the discord she's had to observe involving her people.

Slow, calm, and steady goes it. Make sure you get as much information about Kesha's schedules, diet, likes and dislikes, etc as you can...you want to try to keep her schedule and as many familiar things in her life as possible.

Things will go right...and wrong, believe me! Willingness to be flexible and think outside the box is very helpful...after all, you're already owned by Charlie. ;)

You're going to do fine...I had the same "WHAT AM I DOING?" thoughts you had....and look, now there's two 'toos in the house...along with six other birds and two guinea pigs...:D