• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Hats Off To AA

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
I also think it is utterly stupid allowing other pets near birds, or big birds near littles etc. I'm glad I don't see it here. I see a it a lot on Facebook and Instagram and it makes me sad. No matter how much you try to educate, they always think they know better; and then the worst happens.

It's like all these bird memes out there with them interacting with animals. Everyone thinks they're cute and funny. Drives me mad. Someone sent me one of a Too taking a shower in a chocolate fountain the other day. It made me sad and worried for that poor animal. :(

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
I agree that letting birds and other animals interact is risky and I don't do it. It's the censorship quality of the rule that bugged me a little. It came after another command not to talk about certain things in another thread. Just. Rubbed me the wrong way when I thought it was forbidden. I get it though. Safety first.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I agree that letting birds and other animals interact is risky and I don't do it. It's the censorship quality of the rule that bugged me a little. It came after another command not to talk about certain things in another thread. Just. Rubbed me the wrong way when I thought it was forbidden. I get it though. Safety first.
Yes, it's fine to mention the dangers. We just would rather not have a pile-up. The suggestion in the rule for posting warnings is a good one to follow, this way the person is educated and yet doesn't feel ganged up on. :)

New Rule Regarding Posting Warnings | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I wouldn't let them interact with our dog full stop and knowing the lorikeets especially the scalies they would just go get themselves in a situation where they'd be in trouble because that's what lorikeets do. :shifty:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Yes, it's fine to mention the dangers. We just would rather not have a pile-up. The suggestion in the rule for posting warnings is a good one to follow, this way the person is educated and yet doesn't feel ganged up on. :)

New Rule Regarding Posting Warnings | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I'll argue, Marie :D ! Merely posting a link to the warning is not effective, imo....people don't take time to click on links when casually surfing. It is the pileup that gets their attention. I don't comment on these threads but now I feel it is my civic duty to post a negative message from now on.

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll argue, Marie :D ! Merely posting a link to the warning is not effective, imo....people don't take time to click on links when casually surfing. It is the pileup that gets their attention. I don't comment on these threads but now I feel it is my civic duty to post a negative message from now on.

That "pile up" also caused some one to leave AA this past week because she felt ganged up on very negatively where this subject is concerned. The shame of it is all those comments she received helped no one because of the tone of the context from the posters. I think it's fine to voice opinions as long as they are not shoved down the throat of someone who feels differently. Someone else said they were leaving the forum this week because she also felt ganged up on because her opinion differed from most others. The shame of that was, it was later proven that her concerns and comments were more than valid yet no one offered a public apology to her either.

Most of us are very passionate about our birds and what we feel are safe for them. I respect each opinion when it comes to safety whether I agree with it or not but I also know where my opinion differs from someone else's bullying them or coming at them with a mob mentality will not open their minds to my way of thinking. Just saying you catch more flies with honey.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie

What I usually do when posting that warning is to copy/paste it along with the link for those who don't want to look it up.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I also think it is utterly stupid allowing other pets near birds, or big birds near littles etc. I'm glad I don't see it here. I see a it a lot on Facebook and Instagram and it makes me sad. No matter how much you try to educate, they always think they know better; and then the worst happens.

It's like all these bird memes out there with them interacting with animals. Everyone thinks they're cute and funny. Drives me mad. Someone sent me one of a Too taking a shower in a chocolate fountain the other day. It made me sad and worried for that poor animal. :(
T

The chocolate fountain photo is a fake photo. The bird isnt real :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Shyra, maybe the OP was not open to the message, which caused frustration in subsequent posters. When I first joined AA, I posted what I thought was a really cute picture of supervised Rudy playing with the cords of the window blinds. Well, I was quickly informed that it wasn't cute and actually very dangerous. My first reaction to myself was waaaa, they don't like my pic. But then I thought some more and learned from it. A bunch of polite 'how cute' responses would have left me uninformed.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shyra, maybe the OP was not open to the message, which caused frustration in subsequent posters. When I first joined AA, I posted what I thought was a really cute picture of supervised Rudy playing with the cords of the window blinds. Well, I was quickly informed that it wasn't cute and actually very dangerous. My first reaction to myself was waaaa, they don't like my pic. But then I thought some more and learned from it. A bunch of polite 'how cute' responses would have left me uninformed.

This!!! 1000 TIMES OVER!!

Rather as bruised ego than a dead bird.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

:) I wish I could give you a hug in person. :hug8: Thank you

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
T

The chocolate fountain photo is a fake photo. The bird isnt real :)
Thank goodness! :laugh: She just sent me some small stills with no source. I was worried.
And yet, we know there are idiots out there who would allow it.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
This!!! 1000 TIMES OVER!!

Rather as bruised ego than a dead bird.
Exactly. We can't mollycoddle everyone. Advice wrapped in too many niceties often gets lost.

Hindsight is a great thing but it doesn't bring back dead birds.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Years ago, early on, I posted a picture of Ruby sitting on Goldie, my lab's, head. I used to let her do that a lot. I thought it was adorable. My whole family did. Friends would come over and we'd show them and everyone thought it was very cool too. I also posted pictures of her outside without a harness. :rolleyes:People explained nicely to me all the dangers that could happen. No one attacked me for it and it made me want to stay and learn more even though I wasn't convinced they were right. Ruby and Goldie were never merely 'pets', they were always very close to my heart and if anyone had made me feel I did not love them or want to keep them safe I would have been infuriated and left. I stayed because of how I was approached. I kept thinking of what I had been told and I started reading the stories of beloved birds that flew away and 911 posts of attacked birds but whenever I read a thread where someone was being attacked it set me back and I felt defensive even though I didn't say anything. It took four months before I stopped the dangerous behaviors. I could no longer justify what I was doing. I know that if I had been personally attacked I would not have stayed and would probably have never tried another message board and I may not have Ruby today.

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award

Saroj, I talked to her afterward and can tell you for sure she wasn't open to the message. She had a trained service dog that she had never had a problem with around her birds and then people not only criticizing her but telling her her dog was going to attack her bird. Of course it put her on the defensive but having a bunch of people jumping down her throat because she refused to change her mind and tell them - I'm wrong, you all are right did not help anything. It only made her walk away believing this forum was nothing but a bunch of bullies.

I'm not saying members shouldn't put the word out to be careful with your dogs and birds being out together just that a well thought out explanation works much better than a bunch of people, frustrated or not, chastising someone for believing differently.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Personally, I feel people should get over themselves and leave their egos at the door before signing in. That's why in our group, we leave the message pinned on top for all to view. If someone has a question as to WHY? Then ask away! :D