• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Grieving Parrot is plucking!

Birdbutler

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all, I am new here. Seeking help. I just lost my Wog, a 36 yr old African Grey who I'd had for 32 years. I am gutted - and so is Petrie, my 28 yr old Blue & Gold Macaw, who was bonded to Wog. Petrie has been with me and Wog for the past 25 years. Petrie is now plucking bigtime -- and I cannot seem to coax him to stop. Doing more screaming too, but that's OK. I can deal with that, I just hate to see him denuded!

I am trying very hard to be cheerful around Petrie, and to hold good images in my head as well (as I am fully convinced at this point that they siphon the content of our minds quite readily). I am singing with him, which he loves. Am keeping a heater going near him as well.

Petrie responds to distractions, but soon goes back to plucking. I have new toys, great treats, etc. I just do not know what to do. Was thinking about putting up a bunch of colorful parrot pictures... he has never been the only bird before. There are dogs and cats and a bunny here too, but he's rather indifferent to them.

Petrie has done some plucking in the past, but had allowed feathers to regrow at various times. Usually just does a bit of his chest, sometimes his legs, and when its bad, tops of wings too. Right now, his wings are still OK, but he's got his chest and feet bare. We are both grieving badly, and we hurt, no doubt.

Wog died suddenly. Looks like a stroke. Wog had weakened over a 2 week period, and he died at home. Petrie saw Wog, and groomed Wog after he died, so he totally knows.

Any ideas about how to try and halt the plucking? Getting another bird is not the best idea, as I am getting ready for a cross county move this summer! I might rescue one when I get settled tho. Thanks, Annie

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry your family & your loss of Wog. I think that someone w/ better knowledge maybe able to help more. If he knows & is sad, he knows you are sad too. If it was me, I'd focus as much as possible on Petrie. Let him maybe do other things he likes. But I'm not positive trying to hide your sadness is best. These guys seem to notice when a hair is out of place, he knows things are not normal. I like that your singing together, is there any other routine things that are not happening like... Does he do any training things you maybe could put him thru? I don't call it training, we call it "doin our work/job". Maybe it would help distract some more.

I am so so sorry for you both!

:sadhug:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry for your loss of Wog. After so long together, it has to be gut wrenching. I am so sorry for you and Petrie

Petrie is also, undoubtedly, grieving. My Jasper (female GW) grieved for 6 months after Hank (male GW) died. They had been together for 12 years. I gave Jasper lots and lots of extra attention after Hank died, she finally came out of it. We both still miss him. When she sees a video of him or hears him she gets quite agitated.

Since your B&G has lived with your AG for 25 years, the very first thing I would do is take him to the vet to make sure there isn't something physical causing the plucking. The vet should pay particularly close attention to Petrie's respiratory system. Unfortunately macaws, especially B&Gs, are susceptible to a disease called "Pulmonary Hypersensitive Syndrome" that is caused by the powder down of African Greys, Cockatoos and cockatiels.

"RESPIRATORY DISEASE IN SOUTH AMERICAN SPECIES
ESPECIALLY MACAWS AND CONURES
Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome

Although good ventilation is necessary for any type of bird, it is especially critical
for South American species. Blue and Gold Macaws, as well as Sun Conures
seem especially sensitive to airborne irritants. They may develop a progressive
respiratory disease known as "pulmonary hypersensitivity syndrome” if housed in
a poorly ventilated room, especially if kept with birds that produce a great deal of
powder: Cockatoos, Cockatiels, Lovebirds or African Grey Parrots.

This powder is produced by specialized "powder down feathers" and is a white
waxy substance composed of keratin. Powder down forms a water proof barrier
for contour feathers. It is spread through the feathers when the bird grooms. The
down is composed of very fine particulate matter which becomes airborne easily
and spreads via air currents and air ducts throughout the environment.

The powder down can also cause irritation to people with respiratory problems and
allergies. People with allergies may be able to tolerate these birds, but they should
be aware of this before acquiring one of these dusty species.

In the early stages of pulmonary hypersensitivity syndrome, the bird may appear
normal, but wheeze when excited. As the condition progresses, dyspnea (difficulty
in breathing), a cough, and a bluish tinge to the facial skin (cyanosis) develops.
Hypoxia or under oxygenation of tissues often leads to an increase in the number of
circulating red blood cells (RBC) termed Polycythemia. This increases the viscosity
of the blood so that it does not flow normally. Subsequent immuno- suppression
may lead to Aspergillosis, a deadly respiratory fungal disease.

Clinical symptoms, blood work, and high resolution digital radiographs may
support the diagnosis, but a lung biopsy is necessary for confirmation.

In order to prevent this, South American Species should be housed in well
ventilated rooms without Cockatoos, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, or African Grey Parrots.

In addition, an air cleaner with a HEPA filter is highly recommended.

Unfortunately, this pulmonary disease is often advanced when the owner first notice
the problem get it diagnosed by a trained avian veterinarian familiar with this
syndrome. Certain drugs may provide temporary relief, but there is no cure for this
syndrome.'

I mention this because many times plucking is caused by displaced pain or a physical/clinical issue.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've read that allergies can cause it too. Now that you mentioned the resp. issues. I know w/ humans that allergies can be brought on in situations of high stress. Immune systems can start to get bogged down & allergies can pop up. I agree a visit to the vet the next week. Btw, the allergy thing is my life now so I know it can happen 1st hand. I just bought 2 honeywell air cleaners & I love them. REally has made a difference!

:bluhug:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
So very sorry for your loss Annie and Petrie. :(

... Am keeping a heater going near him as well...
What sort of heater? I'm thinking along the lines that perhaps too much heat might be drying out his feathers/skin? Especially in that in the winter houses are dry anyway due to heating. Does Petrie like showers? I'd be inclined to up his showers.

I wonder if Petrie would like tea? Maybe a tea for calming. Dr Jason Crean uses teas for his birds. These ones: Tea for animals | Greywood Manor Tea & Provisions

Maybe up the essential fatty acids in his diet, especially Omega 3 which is anti-inflammatory... found in flaxseeds. The flaxseeds need to be ground to be absorbed by the body. Is he eating enough Vit A in the form of beta carotene? Found in brightly coloured veggies and fruit. Good for the immune system, the mucus membranes, skin and feathers.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Some people, possibly birds too, are comforted by watching films of the loved one. Petrie can obviously feel your sadness. You say that Petrie preened Wog's dead body so he knows that she is dead not just gone away. Cry together, help each other over your and his loss. You both loved Wog equally and miss her equally. Give him your strength and let him give you his. When you are feeling better Petrie will probably feel better too and could just suddenly stop plucking.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Sorry I misread. Thought Wog was a female. But still this doesn't change anything about what I said.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I am so sorry for you and Petrie's loss.

I can't really suggest anything to relive Petrie's plucking. I would though consider @Hankmacaw's suggestion to have Petrie checked by your vet to rule out physical reasons for the plucking.

Grieving a loss is tremendously difficult for all involved...
Cry together, help each other over your and his loss. You both loved Wog equally and miss her equally. Give him your strength and let him give you his.
..well put...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How tragic for you and your fid to have lost a family member in Wog. I would take what Hankmacaw wrote about seriously. One of the admin. here on AA lost a Macaw and had a necropsy done showing the Macaw was compromised and cause of death was the dust from one African Grey. There were air filtrations systems in the home. I know this adds an extra burden to you life but it is so worth checking out. Have you considered a collar for you bird? If you are on FB search for Pams Petals. She will custom make a nice color for the Macaw.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When my Dad passed, he was all of Buddy's world. We waited about a week & 1/2- 2 weeks to even consider moving him. I was fearful of all the stress of him being confined looking down on my Dad & moving him could stress him to the point of him getting sick or worse. If he had showed any signs of plucking or illness we would've rushed him to the vet.

We were very lucky. I agree w/ @simon777 for the mental wellness, but I think everyone has very valid points of checking heating & maybe a vet trip. I know money might be tight, but we've always gone w/ better to be safe than sorry.

Gentle hugs & warm thoughts. We're w/ you & Petrie!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! I am sorry for your loss.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was thinking about you today. How are you & Petrie doing?

:sadhug: Rain