• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My green wing needs manicure.

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Well my chuckee girl is right close to 1800 full feathered and lucky for me a bowl of mash potatoes.

Time for dad to trim her nails with toe nail clippers.

Glad I played with her feet as she does not mind and I always trim mine in front of her to show all is well.

Green wings have always been my favorite with the red front and Hahn's being next.

Chuckee is a big one.

Some believe bigger ones from Bolivia however this is not entirely true.

Most larger macaws are simply bloodlines found more south around the basin.

Same with snakes.

Those on the basin are larger and usually more vibrant in color.

Some for sure may have come out of Bolivia but most just larger basin birds than those in the north.

Chuckee is larger than several 20 year old hyacinths I have seen so there you go.

I am sure some members here have some big ole trucks also so I would be honored to see.

Wakey wakey time for breakfast chuckee.

One love IMG_20180730_080824.jpg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My girl is a miniature GW. I have to fight to keep her at 1100gm. She is so sweet and gentle that she lost her macaw certificate years ago. Jasper is 25 years old and I've had her since she was 6 1/2.

Jasper says HI Chuckee

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Hi Jasper!

I love it!

I really could not ask for a better gw than the chuckster.

I shove my hand right in her mouth every morning to keep things on the up and up and yes it took some work to get to this point but worth it as all throughout the day to keep things fresh in her mind I just walk up without hesitation and shove right in.

Lol, she goes nuts and licks me to death like a puppy.

Beak training with green wings so important.

They have the perfect beak for it.

I just grab that toe nail and shake her side to side and tell her that her beak is meaningless to me and she just chuckles like a kid.

She takes food from my little one like a baby and I've always believed after an old timer showed me years ago that doing this limits bites to near none.

They was right and I never forgot.

So as soon as I got chuckee and seen her size I immediately started working the beak through the bars until she trusted me enough to just grab it and hold it with a bit if pressure and move her head side to side.

Once she allowed that within a week I had her letting me do it outside the roost as I like to call it and now as you see I just put my whole hand in and pay her no mind and she loves it.

They horse play kind of ruff in the wild and like it.

Many " handlers" I guess these days would say I stroke her wrong and everything.

Not a chance, you get to know your bird and if anything I did or any ruff housing I do was to hurt her in any way she would lite me up like a roman candle lol.

Green wing search your insides out and know what your intent is I believe.

So she sees poppy coming and knows it is time for shenanigans.

Her hopeful partner I am looking at is 31 years old and a sweety so I don't expect aggressive behaviors just because I hook them up.

Yes it can happen and them hate you and love one another but that's rare in a home environment with older birds that have already went through much of the human experience already good and bad you know.

One love IMG_20181109_073105.jpg

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Chucksters breakfast and it lasts her all day.

Organic apples and mango " for that ole vitamin a" and paprika.

Walnuts, cashews, hazels, and then poppies super butter that we all eat that is: hemp seeds, hemp powder, almonds, sunflower, pumpkin, virgin cold pressed coconut, splash of Redmond salt and raw honey.

Sprinkled with ginger, cayenne, and dimethylglicine.

Her water comes from a spring that is 2200 ppm alkaline, a natural spring that we also drink from exclusive and this spring saved me from secondary infections that was killing me when I also fought west Nile virus, tried to paralyze me also.

Perfect and her health and hormones show it.

I actually had a breeder one time say " if people knew really how to feed them they would breed all the time."

Yes indeed and should we not give the best?

You feed them like vegetarian you spend a fortune and more vet visits and underline issues and no they don't breed.

You feed them correct and you spend less than half on food and give them better health but yes indeed you will deal with hormones.

Does not every healthy beast like to put on the Marvin every once in a while?

Yes there may be a million birds in shelters these days, however that is not my birds fault and she will not be denied the best foods and will not be denied to have a partner to choose for themselves.

That's why I tell poor folk, don't think these are just rich mans birds.

Rich man has a pocket full of money but not always a pocket full of sense.

Poor man can learn to feed these birds on a budget and give the birds more love for his schedule is more flexible unless the rich man retired.

That's why I laugh and say its cheaper to feed them correctly.

So what is the most important food in this bowl?

The hemp.

Eat hemp and give it to your animals and watch what happens in time.

You will stop eating garbage as the body becomes full from all the nutrition in the hemp.

Same with animals I give it to.

When your food source is the best you need less of it.

There is nothing even close to hemp.

Nothing would save me from my diseases or my animals years ago until I started eating hemp and making oils.

What cures us, cures the creatures.

All connected in this great circle of life.

One love

Attachments

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
How old is Chuckee? 1800 grams is huge... I'm a little jealous, mines only about 1250, and that's in the evening after she's pigged out on her sweet potato mash. She's also very beaky. You can either learn to make it part of your relationship or constantly fight a losing battle and ignore an important part of their personality. She sounds very sweet - I look forward to hearing more about her.

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Yes between 17-18 for sure as she dwarfs most around here.

This is typical size for any green wing or other types found around the basin instead of the north.

As I have mentioned the " Bolivian hype" is just that, hype.

Two things make a larger macaw than average..genetics meaning sometimes bigger babies can result from smaller parents and those old bloodlines that was found further south rather than the north.

The largest macaws I have ever seen have always been green wings and not hyacinths.

Check out Denver parrot rescue.

They have a huge blue and gold named chaac that is an example of this on the blue and gold side.

He is twice the size of any blue and gold they have had and larger than most green wings.

These are just older lines from the basin areas.

Chuckee is fixing to be 16 and her parents according to the story was also large.

Some of these can go 1500 grams just after being weaned.

Anything 1500 and above is a impressive macaw.

One love

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
So what does a female green wing look like when she is ready to breed?

Like this lol.

Help!!

She's a good girl and this is her area.

As we all know only the truly dedicated will give 30% of their living room to a rooster.

What's a high price chicken here is lunch where she is from lol.

But we love em!

One love IMG_20181109_141139.jpg IMG_20181109_141509.jpg

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Even molting a pound of feathers here lately and hormonal she still does not get mean over it.

I think most birds have this potential with the right flock member it just takes time.

One love

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Good night chuck your not sleeping on your door tonight for poppy to have to clean your morning pile at the perch stump!

Who's gonna make me!

I guess nobody....see you in the morning bird...

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Oh joy got her claws this morning.

Smile..she wanted to be a little stubborn this time so I put her in the roost and gave belly scratches through the bars and she let me trim her nails.

Lol, funny creatures and I sure love her.

She has probably lost a pound of feathers molting but boy she is already glowing so she will keep getting prettier as time goes on.

Many beautiful birds here and chuckee is glad to hang out.

One love IMG_20181110_160926.jpg

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
For newbies just know that human toe nail clippers work just fine.

However I find it easier to trim sideways instead of front ways.

Get a clean cut that way.

Just not too much, just tips.

Some length don't hurt and they like it just no sharp points.

You'll know its time when they step up and you say..ouch!

One love

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Love you chuck bird.

Seems the last ten years daddy has been in a hole that many birds have been left as children wich is worse.

Matters not old girl.

This empath felt you the other day baby.

I watched you look at us eating dinner from your perch and watching junior and sativa.

I heard you and seen the solemn look on your beautiful face.

Where is mine daddy?

My family, those like me?

I felt it and heard it chuckee as clear as a voice.

Your man is coming and a family you will have and peace you will find.

Good babies you will have and they will go to homes destined and you will raise them to be fine babies with no help from me.

They will know they are birds and will respect themselves and have strong spirit like their mom.

In time people will more understand the importance of parent raised young and breeders in it for the money will be no more.

People will demand parent raised in time as it should be and only then the small breeder will be appreciated that does not do it for money or a way to live but for joy.

Less will be produced if this happened and balance could be found again.

Forgive the ignorance chuckee in mans blindness thinking he knows better and turns to his sciences to fix what sciences itself has broken...smile.

With time and education and love things can change.

And birds can be birds again instead of little humans with wings.

One love IMG_20181109_141116.jpg

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hiya! Chuckster is a beauty! I love all your pics & I hope you keep sharing them.

I've been researching & just began taking hemp oil. It's my first week. It seems to be helping me personally in a few ways, seems like I'm finally getting REM sleep again, my anxiety is lower & I seem to be eating less however for my pain... nothing. I made sure I got hemp w/ manufacturing & growth in USA (to avoid nastiest of pesticides), it's cold pressed & contains omega 3, 6 & 9. I did a ton of research to even consider taking it. Im only on half the amount per day move up to full doses in a day or so.

Until you mentioned it for Chucky, I didn't even think about it for Buddy. Can you fill me in more? Is it oil or plant that your giving?

:bluhug: Rain

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
I'm starting to see quite a bit of " breeder bashing" around here and its ridiculous.

I have looked at both sides of this sad coin and there is no easy answers however to make one feel bad about wanting to breed their birds is horse shizz.

This ole nobody already has said the number one problem is hand fed birds.

I've asked many shelters what is their number one reason for getting birds turned in...answer? ...aggression.

Well no crap.

I will say it for the last time, people want this to find some kind of balance again they need to not buy young hand raised birds.

Horney feathered humans is what has been created and then everyone wonders why they get their faces torn off.

Well heck I wonder folks?

I will say it again..put me on an island for years with no mate or anyone like myself and it will become the island of Dr Monroe!

You stop buying hand raised birds and you will get rid of the breeder for profit and then small time breeders can concentrate on smaller aviaries at home and give all needed for the parents to raise the kids.

This stops breeders from double clutching their hens and stops birds from thinking they are human and wanting to plant you and then getting pissed that they can't.

The power is with the buyer listening to those truly educated and restraining from these hand raised terrors.

Then you will see things get better.

Jumping on someone's bum just because they want to breed their birds is stupid and rude and hurts the birds that just want another like themselves.

Had to get it out come what may I could care less " laughing " however some need to chill out with their high and mighty cause.

I guess my belief in the god that saved me makes one a " rare bird" these days however the god of my fathers made it real clear and I choose his words over any so called guru or pitiful expert behind the screen.

Let's see, what did he say, well lots of good stuff forgotten however here is the one I am looking for......" Be fruitful and multiply. "

Believe that covers it.

One love

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
How many of you have watched them in the wild?

I have.

First time I seen Scarlet macaws in the wild they was on the ground.

I wept, I've never seen such intimacy.

Intimacy that people have lost.

Now most think sex is intimacy and so another generation in the toilet.

I seen ...unconditional love.

I said, " not even apes and humans truly understand what these birds do."

Apes and humans hate and argue and fuss and kill one another and have a despicable nature compared to these I thought.

God should give it to them.

Well everyone on their high and mighty kick to discourage breeding is denying their birds this intimacy and unconditional love.

Oh I give my bird plenty love!

So do I, its not enough.

You put me on the planet of the apes " actually already here" and I will appreciate love from the apes however I will long for my own kind.

Sad huh?

Its amazing how fast flags will be picked up and waved until ones arm falls off.

I try to watch careful the flags I hold up these days.

Human emotions are notorious for causing more harm than good.

Hence.. Your shelters full of feathered humans.

One love

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Junior and sativa been aggravating the fire out of chuck today and she let em come into her roost and all lol and shared her clay with them as those Twirps love clay and dirt.

I said you two are going to out stay your welcome in a moment and so sure enough chuckee gave them the boot!

She's so gentle with them its not even funny and a hoot to watch the shenanigans.

Not so sure this combo would work in every scenario however it works here.

Every morning June and teev get on their window perch near chucks roost and chuck just sits and listens to the Twirps sing to the sparrows lol.

Who needs TV when you got these creatures.

One love IMG_20180710_132632.jpg

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
When I bought toys that one in the picture she destroyed in days so that's why daddy goes to home depot now.

She is a wood chuck for sure.

Right now being hormonal she really shreds but better wood than me.

One love

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thats a cute little hangy in her cage. Buddy (my guys an amazon) he's got personality. I understand why my Dad loved him so muchmuch, he's 1 little loyal Dude!

How are you & yours today? Any fun adventures?

Today we just played.

Ringed & dinged his bells. I just bought a tubular bird bell. He seems to love it so much he stopped playing w/ his liberty bell. I got him to ring it but I had to take the other bell out of the mix to get him to focus. Oh yeah, we swingy swingied. I have a 6 inch willow wreath that I used & turned it into a swing. We're warming to it. He's unsure of it, so as long as it is handled in play he'll warm to it, in time. If I try to force it, he'll end up hating it. So basically all time spent together is play time even if it is training. Shh, don't tell Buddy pls.

:hug2: Rain

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Hi rain.

All is well, have not slept much lately.

Allot of 3:33 11:11 1:11 kinda thing.

So I grabed the guitar and played some damn Yankees for a while and made me one of those " secret edibles" and ready to go tend chuckee before my girls get up and I tend them.

Gods good, grace enough.

Glad your buddy is well and enjoying life as that's good for him and you.

When chuckster slows down her molt I want to get her use to harness again and freefly train again as its been a while for her.

By the time she's through molting she will weigh 500 grams lol.

No they don't get bald but they do get skimpy in spots for sure.

Her new feathers are beautiful though and she tends herself very well as she keeps herself looking nice.

One love IMG_20181103_101911.jpg

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
I can see now " first hand" why some of you say breeding contribute to the problem.

My neighbor got his cockatoo when wife was home every day and now she works and not happy.

He came to my door upset with bird on arm and said he had to go back to shelter.

I was like geez.

Truth is things can happen however the poor birds always in the middle like kids.

It sucks and yes I've been in a hole ten years however I have looked deeper and then today's event showed me that its a cluster for sure.

However my goodness I can't see denying chuck a mate even still...its not her fault.

And I guess if something happened to me I would do my best to put them in a good place because I know life can happen sometimes.

Someone mentioned how hand raised birds would drive the prices up.

Well good as you don't see many hyacinths being turned in to shelters.

A person is more likely to hold their obligations if they paid ten grand for it and then when the occasional one showed at a shelter it would give poor folk a chance to have one cheaper.

No easy answers so best thing is just love what we have now and let the wheels turn as they may

Chuck eating after bath. IMG_20181112_103738.jpg

One love