• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My gcc won't play with toys

Lavalleer

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robert
So we've had our gcc for a week now and so far the only thing he really likes to play with is the computer mouse. He has a number of different types of toys but pays a passing interest at best with any of them. He is only 4 mo. old so we are trying to teach him to play with his toys but so far with little success. He has figured out the foraging toy I made using cupcake baking cups. As an aside, the only time he likes head scritches is when I'm typing on the keyboard. He has to get right in the way and demand to be petted :lol:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it's a bit early to make such a statement ;) Target didn't start playing with toys until well over a month after she came to live with us.

My little conures only play with toys they can destroy. What kind of toys do you have for him?

Lavalleer

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robert
He has several shredder toys, he has some with small wooden beads, some with plastic beads and bells, and some with shredded fleece. He plays with none of them so far.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Try balsa, yucca, and straws. Roma is very particular, too. Those are softer and Roma can really destroy a stick of balsa quick!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Also - stick food in the toys! If it's a soft toy, like yucca or balsa, stick pieces of seeds inside the 'wood'! Other toys, decorate it with spray millet! Or other foods!

Tweet

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jacklyn
Man, Sunny had the same trouble. I reward him with millet every time he touched a toy, then hid some in there with his toys. He got the hint. You counure can also still be adjusting a little, new toys and a new home can be scary. Did the owner ever say he played with his toys a lot in the past, sunny never touched his toys in the past to so it makes sense since he was partly not taken every well care of before I adopted him.

Lavalleer

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robert
I found that he likes plastic beads as a foot toy. He has some star shaped ones that he enjoys playing with.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I have a cheekie who loves pony beads....his favorite thing ever.

TNT Toys - Toys For Small Birds - leather butterfly, leather teddybear, and he loves the triple play although I swear sometimes he gets it swinging he's going to knock himself out

Verivus

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Chrissy
Rico, TGCC I've had since 6 weeks old and is now almost 3, only likes certain toys, and some toys he will ignore for months on end until finally destroying it in less than week. Currently there are only 3 toys he absolutely loves: his ball with a bell inside, his bells on his perches, and his popsicle-stick refillable shredding toy. Everything else is ignored, and he has lots and lots of toys. :/ Some birds are just picky, I guess.

Lavalleer

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robert
I found that he does like a cupcake paper filled with a couple of sunflowers and wadded up so he has to forage for them.