• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My G2 has started biting.

Castiel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I have a very cuddly gcc, but she is nippy. I have learned to not try and get her off my head or shoulder with my hand , but lure her off by holding her favorite treat. Works 99.9 per cent of the time
I have a problem with his favorite treat and using it to train him because we give him whatever he wants whenever he wants it. His favorite is diced up mangos and mango juice which we keep in easy reach of him all the time. Castiel never goes without his favorite treats so trying to tempt him with them is almost a waste of time because he probably just got through eating it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I apologize man. You caught me at a bad time and I said things the wrong way in my OP. I will not be rehoming my baby boy. We will learn to all get along around here. I don't trust other people with my children. He is mine forever.

Sorry for what I said. I probably would have responded the same as you after re-reading my OP.
No need for anyone to apologize. This is about Castiel. Now that you have a real understanding of what lies ahead you "all" have some serious learning to do. You will need to adapt the way you handle him and adapt your home to provide him an "environment" (which includes his cage as home base) in order to maintain sanity safety and try to achieve some harmony long term. Your term is 40+ years.

Here's a good place to start. Read and absorb. Test later.

Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

Natural birdmanship. Understanding/treating behaviour problems in imprinted birds. Michael Doolan DVM.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I have a problem with his favorite treat and using it to train him because we give him whatever he wants whenever he wants it. His favorite is diced up mangos and mango juice which we keep in easy reach of him all the time. Castiel never goes without his favorite treats so trying to tempt him with them is almost a waste of time because he probably just got through eating it.

That can be too much fruit and sugar. It should be limited. Sugar can contribute to yeast growth. I had to cut mine off sugar and carbs for quite awhile trying to get yeast under control. They're fine now but get fruit once in awhile now, not even every day. And they weren't even getting that much before! Like 1 grape each per day.
Plus, if they are filling up on all their favourite treats, they aren't eating enough of the healthy stuff - veggies, pellets, etc.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
For treats I tend to use sunflower seeds (sparingly), cooked beans and chickpeas, nuts (sparingly), sweet potato (they love it) and corn.

Castiel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
No need for anyone to apologize. This is about Castiel. Now that you have a real understanding of what lies ahead you "all" have some serious learning to do. You will need to adapt the way you handle him and adapt your home to provide him an "environment" (which includes his cage as home base) in order to maintain sanity safety and try to achieve some harmony long term. Your term is 40+ years.

Here's a good place to start. Read and absorb. Test later.

Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

Natural birdmanship. Understanding/treating behaviour problems in imprinted birds. Michael Doolan DVM.
Thanks man. I am reading this now. It is a lot to take in but I'm working on it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Castiel has been biting. My Goffin's bites every now and then. She's generally very sweet but there are moments. It's good to have a t-stick nearby.
You should get a little hat for him and then take a group photo. That would be extra cute.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
So @Castiel could you find a 2nd favorite treat, and let it be the 'normal' treat, and hold back mango for when you really need it -- to lure him off your head or shoulder?

And have you begun clicker training yet? That might be helpful.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
After Jackson flew off and was returned four days later, he went from a sweet baby to an unpredictable biting bird. He’s improved over the years but I figured being out in the wild he would have had to defend himself. Anyway, hope that gives some insight into his sudden biting behavior.