• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My foster baby Elvis :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so glad you are fostering Elvis!!:fairy2: He is adorable, and I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with him. What a lucky guy to be in your home and getting spoiled already!:heart: When I had my BE2 my vet recommended 25% seeds and 75% pellets, and as much fresh foods as he would eat. My Too liked cooked foods best, like broccoli, carrots, green beans, zucchini, and squash. He would sometimes eat them raw, but preferred cooked much more. He also liked cantaloupe, apples and grapes. I could get him to try most anything by eating it in front of him a few times until he was dying to try it. Cashews were his thing, and I would get him to go anywhere for a cashew, but he did gain some weight, so you should probably break the almonds up a bit. I can't wait to hear all about Elvis and his antics!:heart2:

Good to know. Thank you. I have only tried raw veggies so far. I will try some cooked tonight. Thanks so much!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We are all very happy for Elvis to be in your care. Things will settle down and you will have a routine that he and you will follow. Never having had a cockatoo I am not one for food suggestions. Enjoy him and don't tell @JLcribber I said spoil him with love because that's not supposed to be done with a too.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@sunnysmom Elvis is beautiful and I hope he enjoys being at your house for awhile.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yay! :elefant: I'm so happy and excited for both of you :cheer:

I look forward to hearing more about Elvis and his tooness :cantwait:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I feed my Majors ,Harrisons high Potency Coarse, they like blueberries, Mexican papaya, cantaloupe.aren't big fans fruits they do get a seed blend sprinkled on top of veggies , pine nuts shelled almonds pecans , they love jalapenos and serrano chilies , apples are enjoyed, I get the baby carrots for them or the shredded , snow peas, sugar snap peas. broccoli. I rotate these they love the Harrison's birdie bread I add sweet potatoes. treat to chicken leg bones once in awhile they love to scoop out the marrow. if anyone does this do not give them the bones that you have eaten the meat from. give them their own leg , peel the meat off, they do like some of the meat left on. pasta cooked. cooked beans are enjoyed.

Last edited:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I'm glad you have another fid in your life, I couldn't be without one myself but am partial to Maxis obviously. Sounds like he is a good fit so maybe you two can make it permanent if it works out. :dance4::hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks everyone. We're still getting to know each other. He is very, very gentle which I wasn't expecting from a too. He seems to like my fiancé and I equally so far which is good I guess. I was Sunny's favorite by far and I think it sometimes hurt my fiancé's feelings. Elvis is very, very smart and I keep telling the fiancé to be careful what he says around him. Elvis pooped on the couch the first day we had him and the fiancé said "no poop". Which I was extremely annoyed about because I told him constantly when we had Sunny not to tell a bird that. Well, since then, not only has Elvis not pooped on the couch but will gently beak your face which we figured out means he wants to go back to his cage- and then he poops. :o: I'm not sure if he was potty trained before or if he really learned that fast. I don't want to potty train him - I know it's bad for them to hold it, etc. But I really don't know how to undo it. Of all the things to wish for right- that a bird wasn't potty trained. LOL

And does anyone else's goffin sound like a dying seagull when they squawk? :wacky: Oh my goodness- not a melodic sound at all.

But he is a really good boy. :)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Great update! ♥

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Congratulations on getting another fid in your life, if only for a while. Elvis is adorable and you are a great bird Mom.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Can you get a video of his squawking? Actually any video would do. He sounds wonderful!

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Just wanted to say I'm glad he's settling in! Can't wait to hear more updates :)

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so happy for both of you :) He's such a a cutie

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Aww he sounds and looks adorable! I'm so happy for you having another bird to love! :heart:

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
You say he has an import band on, which facility did he come out? Just curious, as true imported birds are getting fewer and fewer as time goes by.

The following was copied from Beautyofbirds.com which might help identifying which facility it was.

Open-banded / Imported Birds:
USDA-owned and operated quarantine stations use bands with letters and three or four numbers.
There were 85 quarantine stations, located in the following states:
California - 40 - First letter C or O
Hawaii - 2 - First letter H
Florida - 20 - First letter F
Illinois - 7 - First letter I
Louisiana - 6 - First letter L
Michigan - 2 - First letter M
New York - 6 - First letter N
Texas - 2 - First letter T
A quarantine band always had 3 letters and 3 numbers For example FAB 123
The first letter stands for the state, Florida, California, New York, Illinois, Hawaii, Louisiana and O's were also used in California because they had more than 24 stations.
The second letter stands for the specific quarantine station.
The third letter is part of the number code so with 24 letters and 3 digits you have 24,000 possible combinations. The bands were manufactured and issued to the quarantine station owners. Numbers used in each quarantine lot were reported to USDA. If a station imported thousands of birds each year the sequence would be repeated frequently - for example-maybe conures or other small birds imported in large numbers. If for larger birds the sequence would not be repeated so often. (Author Unknown )

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You say he has an import band on, which facility did he come out? Just curious, as true imported birds are getting fewer and fewer as time goes by.

The following was copied from Beautyofbirds.com which might help identifying which facility it was.

Open-banded / Imported Birds:
USDA-owned and operated quarantine stations use bands with letters and three or four numbers.
There were 85 quarantine stations, located in the following states:
California - 40 - First letter C or O
Hawaii - 2 - First letter H
Florida - 20 - First letter F
Illinois - 7 - First letter I
Louisiana - 6 - First letter L
Michigan - 2 - First letter M
New York - 6 - First letter N
Texas - 2 - First letter T
A quarantine band always had 3 letters and 3 numbers For example FAB 123
The first letter stands for the state, Florida, California, New York, Illinois, Hawaii, Louisiana and O's were also used in California because they had more than 24 stations.
The second letter stands for the specific quarantine station.
The third letter is part of the number code so with 24 letters and 3 digits you have 24,000 possible combinations. The bands were manufactured and issued to the quarantine station owners. Numbers used in each quarantine lot were reported to USDA. If a station imported thousands of birds each year the sequence would be repeated frequently - for example-maybe conures or other small birds imported in large numbers. If for larger birds the sequence would not be repeated so often. (Author Unknown )
I haven't looked that closely but will try to do so. I was told by the rescue people it was an import band. I've never seen one before. It's rolled metal, not the kind of flat bands that I've seen before. I will look closer this evening. Thanks for the info!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can you get a video of his squawking? Actually any video would do. He sounds wonderful!
I will try. It's not pretty. LOL. He has been talking more but only if I'm home alone with him. I'm pretty sure this morning he actually said "Hello" and not just his normal "Hi".

santacruzjack

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jack
Oh that's wonderful Michelle! He seems like a real doll, I fell in love with a sweet goffin's too.... they're such balls of sunshine.