• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My foraging toys are working!

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
I'm using cotton rope, made for loom. In Sweden that rope is called varpgarn or bomullsvarp. (cotton yarn) It's 100% natural and no bleach.

You can buy it in a sewing store.
If it isn't thick enough I twine mine. Like this:

It looks so good! I happen to have a sewing store in the next town over, I’ll have to check next week if they have one as thick as the one you use.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It looks so good! I happen to have a sewing store in the next town over, I’ll have to check next week if they have one as thick as the one you use.
Or you can buy them on eBay. :)

You can make small adorable foot toys to your little's, just add a small part (like a bell or something) and then knit some macrame.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
Or you can buy them on eBay. :)

You can make small adorable foot toys to your little's, just add a small part (like a bell or something) and then knit some macrame.
I haven’t bought anything of off ebay before so I’m not familiar with their shipping process, I’ll read up on the site. And do budgies even use their feet like that? I have never seen them use their feet like e.g GCC’s use their feet to pick up stuff and eat not just flr grip.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Those are lovely ideas @Eloy !
Looks like about the same rope I use @Zoepr143 :) I guess sisal, but that’s just a gamble though! My lovies don’t grab foot toys the way a conure would, but they do grab hanging things with their feet and Fëanor holds foot toys in place with his foot. I mostly use foot toys when they are on me but I have to work, or when they don’t want to play by themselves:D I keep a jar on my table filled with foot toys, so when I take them downstairs I take the jar and they can play around there too. Mostly my foot toys are Made with easy things to shred, shiny things, small wooden and plastic beads and small balls and cat toys:)

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
Mostly my foot toys are Made with easy things to shred, shiny things, small wooden and plastic beads and small balls and cat toys:)
Thank god, I’m not the only one that buys cat toys for their fids:rofl:
Here are some close-ups of the thread/rope. I just went downstairs to ask my dad what it’s called and it turns out he went to the gym, so I’ll have to wait.

Attachments

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I do, too. And I buy baby toys for the bigger fids. :shy:
Whaha I get baby toys for the ducks/rabbits too:D I have a two year old half sister and a four your old half brother so I can get a first pick of all their toys when they don’t use them anymore! I am now waiting for a sort of toy that makes noises for the fids, I think they might enjoy that:D

Thank god, I’m not the only one that buys cat toys for their fids:rofl:
Here are some close-ups of the thread/rope. I just went downstairs to ask my dad what it’s called and it turns out he went to the gym, so I’ll have to wait.

Hmm my guess is jute, but I am not really an expert:rofl: I just forget all the names of everything, I just walked downstairs and don’t have a clue what I was going to do:lol:

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Loved that original video. I hadn't done any foraging for my birds in a couple of years. I know it is terrible. Well I have been buying parts for simple foragers the last few weeks and set up a couple. The birds loved them. I have a few more planned. It is really cool seeing the bird that is scared of everything hanging upside down trying to get to his food.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
Loved that original video. I hadn't done any foraging for my birds in a couple of years. I know it is terrible. Well I have been buying parts for simple foragers the last few weeks and set up a couple. The birds loved them. I have a few more planned. It is really cool seeing the bird that is scared of everything hanging upside down trying to get to his food.
Yes my birds are also scared by everything, it took them 2 to 3 days to get used to that toy hanging there. Now that they know what it is they charge right to it when i hang it in the cage! :rofl:
Good luck with making those toys!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Very cool. What shocked me is also my semi-senile older tiel was the first to start foraging after about 10 minutes.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That is great! I also got my rescued pretty traumitized Tiel to forage:D It is a lot of fun to teach them and come up with new ideas! Good luck!