• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My foraging toys are working!

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
i feel like i only post threads when i have questions dealing with ‘negative’ stuff like behavioral problems and my endless journey to finding the right cage(s) :bash:

So here is a video where angel finally ate out of a foraging toy i made for her. It’s pretty basic but now that i see that she likes it I’m very driven to make more! :birdance:

Edit: as i was just getting more millet a second ago i found another big foraging toy i made a couple of months ago. So technically this is my second toy.

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
So cute! Great that she is getting into foraging, I warn you however once you get the hang if making foraging toys you won’t be able to stop lol!

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
So cute! Great that she is getting into foraging, I warn you however once you get the hang if making foraging toys you won’t be able to stop lol!
Hahahaha i figured! As I’m typing this Angel is hanging off of the ball up side down :rofl:. I’m definitely get more of those! Nice new profile picture btw, i like it! :roflmao:

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
She looks like she's having a lot of fun!

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
She's so into it! I've tried making my own and I'm terrible at it. I've decided to stay with a couple of vendors and continue with their toys as the amount of time to create toys for 2 budgies, 2 parrotlets, one lovebird and a caique would be a full time job for me. Unfortunately I also have 4 chickens and 2 dogs. I barely have time in the mornings opening the coop when the sun comes up and giving them their breakfast of corn, kale, and oatbread (I make it at home with brown wheat and seeds which has eggs in it).

Mornings are crazy here getting everyone fresh water, feed, vegetables, feed, scratch, crumble and seeds. I don't get to sit down until 10:00 to have my one cup of coffee and then it's time to clean water dishes and fresh lunch again. I only refresh twice but they have eight dishes of food and water all over their room so they don't fight over it.

Nothing here goes to waste. Whatever the parrots don't finish in a day, the chickens finish. Then we put them all to bed and that is another crazy time. We gather all the old food out of the bird's room and refresh water in the evening. I must say though, it's easier than being a parent to human children. I'm having so much more fun. Maybe it's because I'm older too.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
She's so into it! I've tried making my own and I'm terrible at it. I've decided to stay with a couple of vendors and continue with their toys as the amount of time to create toys for 2 budgies, 2 parrotlets, one lovebird and a caique would be a full time job for me. Unfortunately I also have 4 chickens and 2 dogs. I barely have time in the mornings opening the coop when the sun comes up and giving them their breakfast of corn, kale, and oatbread (I make it at home with brown wheat and seeds which has eggs in it).

Mornings are crazy here getting everyone fresh water, feed, vegetables, feed, scratch, crumble and seeds. I don't get to sit down until 10:00 to have my one cup of coffee and then it's time to clean water dishes and fresh lunch again. I only refresh twice but they have eight dishes of food and water all over their room so they don't fight over it.

Nothing here goes to waste. Whatever the parrots don't finish in a day, the chickens finish. Then we put them all to bed and that is another crazy time. We gather all the old food out of the bird's room and refresh water in the evening. I must say though, it's easier than being a parent to human children. I'm having so much more fun. Maybe it's because I'm older too.

Wow what a hand full! Amazing that you were able to create a system like that, there is no way i could ever find the time to do all of that in only one day :rofl:. Props to you!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hahahaha i figured! As I’m typing this Angel is hanging off of the ball up side down :rofl:. I’m definitely get more of those! Nice new profile picture btw, i like it! :roflmao:
Silly birdie, I love watching them foraging! And thanks:D
And about foraging toys, the action has cardboard new year shot glasses that make great foraging toys!
F1C2678E-0344-4F9F-9480-D2CEF8BCC186.jpeg
Only 0,99€ a package for about twenty cups!

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
Silly birdie, I love watching them foraging! And thanks:D
And about foraging toys, the action has cardboard new year shot glasses that make great foraging toys!
View attachment 263140
Only 0,99€ a package for about twenty cups!

Thanks! There is an action on my way to school, I’ll check if they have them. How do they get the treats out of them?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thanks! There is an action on my way to school, I’ll check if they have them. How do they get the treats out of them?
I Will make a few pictures, not very good at explaining iT:D image.jpg
The have to push the top aside, my Guys grab the edge of the cups with their feet or even hang upside down and remove the top with their beak alone. You could also hang them without putting anything on top of course.

image.jpg
With this type they have to really dig into iT and move the cups up to reach their food. I Will try to get in in action picture tomorrow to make iT a bit clearer:D

Also Fëanor loves this:
image.jpg
I sprinkle Some seeds beteren the layers and he can be busy for up to 45 minutes!

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
I Will make a few pictures, not very good at explaining iT:D View attachment 263142
The have to push the top aside, my Guys grab the edge of the cups with their feet or even hang upside down and remove the top with their beak alone. You could also hang them without putting anything on top of course.

View attachment 263143
With this type they have to really dig into iT and move the cups up to reach their food. I Will try to get in in action picture tomorrow to make iT a bit clearer:D

Also Fëanor loves this:
View attachment 263144
I sprinkle Some seeds beteren the layers and he can be busy for up to 45 minutes!
Thank you, i was always very confused by those types of toys. How do they know there is something in there if it does not have a strong smell? For example with the toy in my video she can see that there is millet in it. If i put millet in the cups, how will she know? (Also i only use angel in these scenarios because she is the one that has been the most curious about the toys I’ve created)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I like the idea of the straws over the cord and the cupcake liners for little beaks & softbills. :wideyed:

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Pot luck perhaps?
my guys know cupcake papers =something good is hidden inside as I put something in the paper with nothing on top. Then increase the difficulty, same with straws, also helps if it is translucent.

You could punch large holes I them so she can see the food but has to work for it a little, then make the holes smaller gradually.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you, i was always very confused by those types of toys. How do they know there is something in there if it does not have a strong smell? For example with the toy in my video she can see that there is millet in it. If i put millet in the cups, how will she know? (Also i only use angel in these scenarios because she is the one that has been the most curious about the toys I’ve created)
I show them their is food inside, if they don’t get iT right away I leave the them ‘open’, so I move the tops aside. But my Guys have been foraging for Some time now, they usually figure iT out by themselves. Some things that got my boys started was ground foraging, either Some seeds in on a plate filled with rocks, Beads, fresh grass, or a fake grass mat has worked for them.
They also adore throwing beads out of cups and forage for a few seeds beteren them.
Their favorite thing is a few seeds wrapped in newspaper! My Guys are pretty much crazy for food so if I show them there is food somewhere they will try very hard to get it, so I can’t give you a lot of tips about teaching them the foraging concept! Start out with something easy and gradually increase the difficulty with baby steps

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I like the idea of the straws over the cord and the cupcake liners for little beaks & softbills. :wideyed:
My Guys loooove to chew those straws up! Even better if I Push a sunflower seed in them!