• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My first DIY success! A simple playstand/perch

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Well, it took me long enough, but I finally pulled together my first DIY project for my two cockatiels.

TA DA!!!! A simple play stand that I can easily wheel around as needed. :D
diystandsuccess.jpg

How to (for anyone else who wants to make a play stand like this):
The base consists of a board made of untreated pin with wheels screwed on the bottom - this base was taken from a previous (failed) diy pla ystand project. I then drilled a hole in the middle of the board, drilled a hole in the center of the dowel, then (with an extra hand helping me), screwed from the bottom to attach the base to the dowel (I included a washer on the bottom, too, for extra stability). I then took this leftover piece of vinyl mat I had, cut a hole in the middle, and slide it through and down the dowel. Then I drilled a hole in the side of the dowel, and screwed the dragonwood perch onto the dowel. I also screwed a smaller hole before I screwed on an eye hook to hang toys.
Materials:
The pine board, wheels, dowel and stainless steel hardware were from Ace Hardware store. The vinyl mat was from Home Depot. The dragonwood perch was from Doctor Fosters and Smith. The toy in the photo is from Lil Monsters Bird Toys. :)

Okay, now for the good part - the flock's "Seal of Approval!!!"
happyindynewperch.jpg indybuckbeaknewperch.jpg bothpreeningnewperch.jpg

I'm so happy that they both love it! I feel so accomplished. :) I'd been trying to make this project WAY too complicated before, and so I finally told myself: "Just keep it simple, stupid," and it worked! I will probably add more branches to it over time and slowly build on it, but for right now, it is perfect.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You did a great job!

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Thanks! :D This success has encouraged me to consider tackling some other DIY projects that I have been wanting to do for my birds.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Looks awesome! Your guys are enjoying it! Did you use ss hardware for the areas they can get into?

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Looks awesome! Your guys are enjoying it! Did you use ss hardware for the areas they can get into?
Thank you!:)

I used stainless steel for ALL of the hardware! I get super paranoid and always opt for the saver option, even if it is a tad more expensive.
I know it is one of your go-to questions for any diy projects posted on the forum. My birds and I here appreciate it.It is good to know you've got our backs. ;)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thank you!:)

I used stainless steel for ALL of the hardware! I get super paranoid and always opt for the saver option, even if it is a tad more expensive.
I know it is one of your go-to questions for any diy projects posted on the forum. My birds and I here appreciate it.It is good to know you've got our backs. ;)

Haha! Glad to help! It really turned out nice!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
It looks really neat! Good job;)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The toy in the photo is from Lil Monsters Bird Toys. :)

I thought it looked familiar :D

I love the simplicity of this! I think this is a great idea, especially for more timid birds (see: Bobber). I might have to do something like this also because I tend to over complicate things and then they never use them :p