• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Finch's first Egg

Cowboy&Chica

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone,
Today in the morning as I was changing the water for my finches I found an egg on the floor of the cage. This was totally unexpected as I thought they are still very young not a year old yet.
So, my question is should I get them a nest or just remove and get rid of the egg?
Any advice?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
should I get them a nest or just remove and get rid of the egg?
Yet 12 days ago (whilst accusing me of insulting you) you said
I am not new to owning birds or to dealing with eggs and babies I've had success with my teals giving me 5 babies and they grew up to be adults. I have hand raised and taken care of trained Canaries, tiels, zebra finches Indian lovebirds and Parrots... This just happened to be my first pair of European lovebirds that i am dealing with.
It´s ok not to know what to do, but just be honest about it.
Finches reach sexual maturity at 6 months old. Please correct me if I´m wrong @finchly
So, the question is do you want chicks or not?

Last edited:

Cowboy&Chica

Meeting neighbors
I think you're supposed to replace eggs with a fake egg before tossing it or else the momma bird will lay even more trying to replace it.
You are correct Diane if you do not replace the egg with a fake egg then the mother will keep laying eggs.

But, that was not my question :)

The mother is only 8 months old and I was wondering if she is too young still. But, after I checked with the breeder where I bought the finches from he told me that 8 months is normal. So, with that answer I went out today and bought them a small nest and now the egg is in it.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
In theory, a wild female finch born of a second clutch is old enough to breed right at the start of the season the next year. But that's with wild finches, who mature a lot faster than captive finches.
Honestly? Boil the egg or replace it with a fake. Let your finch enjoy another year before putting her through the strain of laying and bringing up young. The nest box was a bad decision.
But then, you know this already don't you.

Cowboy&Chica

Meeting neighbors
In theory, a wild female finch born of a second clutch is old enough to breed right at the start of the season the next year. But that's with wild finches, who mature a lot faster than captive finches.
Honestly? Boil the egg or replace it with a fake. Let your finch enjoy another year before putting her through the strain of laying and bringing up young. The nest box was a bad decision.
But then, you know this already don't you.
Thank you Linden, at the same time I wrote my thread here I emailed it to the breeder. I was not sure if I am going to get an answer from him. He answered me this morning stating that it is normal at this age to lay eggs and that I should go get a nest. He is very experienced breeder and I followed his advice. Maybe it is a bad decision but I would not know that at this point and it would not be the first time i make a bad decision.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
.... But, that was not my question :)

The mother is only 8 months old and I was wondering if she is too young still. But, after I checked with the breeder where I bought the finches from he told me that 8 months is normal. So, with that answer I went out today and bought them a small nest and now the egg is in it.
You came here with a question armed with the answer you already had from a breeder, then rebuffed the answers you have received with his.
Why even ask the question? Why does this thread even exist if the answer will never suit you?
Sorry everyone, I'm out.

Cowboy&Chica

Meeting neighbors
You came here with a question armed with the answer you already had from a breeder, then rebuffed the answers you have received with his.
Why even ask the question? Why does this thread even exist if the answer will never suit you?
Sorry everyone, I'm out.
That is not true Linden. When I posted this thread I did not have the answer of the breeder. I was searching for an answer. This morning I read the answer of Nerine only. After I got the answer from the breeder I want out and bought the nest. When I got home I saw your answer. It is not about what suits me. I am really sorry but if you guys do not want me to ask questions here I will leave the forum all together.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
No, don't leave. There are plenty here that can help, just I'm out of advice for you. I want what's best for your birds too.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would like to know why you want all of your birds to breed.
I´m interested to know, although I´m sure I´ll be ignored.
You have lovebirds sitting on eggs, and now finches on eggs.
Are you also intending to breed your other birds too?
What will you do with all of these chicks? Will you keep them, or is there a high demand for them in your country?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I think you're supposed to replace eggs with a fake egg before tossing it or else the momma bird will lay even more trying to replace it.
The egg was on the floor; the hen was not nesting. No need for nests or fake eggs, just toss the egg.

Finches reach sexual maturity at 6 months old. Please correct me if I´m wrong @finchly
So, the question is do you want chicks or not?
^^ This. Apparently she does want chicks, and a lot of them.
These are apparently zebra finches, even 4 months sometimes they try to breed. This does not mean they are READY and IN TOP CONDition to breed. At that age they aren't really mature. It is best for the bird to wait until they are over 1 year old to breed them. If you don't want to breed, don't put in a nest. If they nest in the food dish, remove the eggs. Come on it's not rocket science - you're the owner and you are in charge. Do what is best for the bird.

If the breeder said put in a nest, that is because he breeds for money.
Never mind their health - just breed breed breed.

Sorry Zara, I missed the previous thread.

I would like to know why you want all of your birds to breed.
I´m interested to know, although I´m sure I´ll be ignored.
You have lovebirds sitting on eggs, and now finches on eggs.
Are you also intending to breed your other birds too?
What will you do with all of these chicks? Will you keep them, or is there a high demand for them in your country?
What will you do @Cowboy&Chica if the babies are tossed or a parent bird dies - are you ready to hand feed? All night and all day, can you do that? I'm hand feeding only one right now but it's every 2 hours. I am exhausted.

Do you have the money to buy more cages, more food, and more medicine/vitamins/supplements for these birds, and their young, and each next generation? Can you find homes for these (fairly common) species?

These are not questions to drive you away . They are things to seriously consider. I once met a man who had zebra finches - he'd taken a flight cage and added on a cage here, a cage there.... it was huge with all these cages fastened on, every one had zebra finches. He actually cried he was so overrun with the finches. Begged me to take some. (I did. I am a softie) This was because he didn't consider all the ramifications of letting them breed and inbreed.

@Zara and everyone else -- I think this all boils down to whether your birds are members of your family or a commodity. Ours are part of the family. My canary hen became egg bound (chronic layer) last week. We did our best but she passed. We all mourned the poor thing and we are still talking about it. That's a family member. When you are pushing them to breed before they are all the way mature, that's a commodity; you're in it for the money. Yet, if you are doing it right and providing food, fresh vegetables, probiotics, calcium, etc etc etc then you won't make any money. You'd be lucky to break even.

But we can talk ourselves silly, and if someone is determined to breed, they will. All we can do is provide good solid information. And hope or pray that they change their mind.

Cowboy&Chica

Meeting neighbors
And hope or pray that they change their mind.
This is what this forum is all about? To change our minds

If you just provided information and you stopped there i would've appreciated it. But to start judging people "I think this all boils down to whether your birds are members of your family or a commodity. Ours are part of the family." So mine are a commodity... you guys are pathetic.

Adios forum members. I am done here. Bye

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Personally I wouldn't breed any zebra finches until they are 12-14 months old. A hen might lay an egg but that doesn't mean she is ready for offspring .

A girl may be 13 and having her periods. She is now capable of bearing offspring. But should 13y.os or those younger bare offspring? Should young not wait until they're adults and ready to bare offspring have offspring?

I would wait until your hen is 4 months older at the least.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks @finchly
OP has me blocked after she wasn´t happy when I disagreed with her ¨I´m going to leave it to nature and see what happens¨ approach with her lovebirds eggs AFTER providing a nesting box.

I´m truly sorry for your loss.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It's a shame she's slammed the door. If she DOES gone through with it despite our honest advice, she's turning her back on the best forum, and it's members. We"re probably the best forum to get helf from should the worst happen. I'm disappointed.
I'm not gonna dwell on this.

Glamourfaust

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
For what it is worth, I am new here and do not know anyone or their histories. Just based on replies to this question, I think some of the responses were harsh and judgemental. I am a little discouraged by this and reluctant to revisit the forum. Answers to most of our questions are all over the internet - it's 2019 afterall. I come here for the camaraderie, though I did not see anything like that reflected in this thread.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I can understand why it may seem that way. You have only read one thread from this member. I don´t really want to go into it, the prev. threads can easily be found if you are interested.

Would I throw away an album because there is one song I don´t like? No, I would listen to the other songs.

Please read some other threads in the forum and I´m sure you´ll see that it is a nice positive place where we can share stories, experiences, photographs, articles, silly stories, sad stories, recipes, tips etc

I´ve found during my time on the forum, I can speak with any member as if they were a friend in my own home.

Most importantly, every time I read through the threads here, I learn something. Even on this thread, I have learned something.

I hope you stick around, so you can see for yourself.