• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video My conure Ruby is acting extremely weird - not sure if sick, molting, or both

Ruby_CBC

Moving in
For some backstory, my lovely Crimson-Bellied Conure Ruby (hatched end of March of this year) was sick about 3 weeks ago with a bacterial infection. We were able to figure it out after she smelled really foul one night, and the next morning she was clearly really weak. She was fully cleared after taking her to the avian vet and getting antibiotics and doing a recheck.

While sick, she didn't seem to lose her appetite and didn't puke up or anything that were aware of (I watched her very closely). We thought it might have been from some old water that she got into, and since then we have replaced it with a bottle dispenser which has been working great, and also have been rigorous about keeping her cage clean.

In addition to that, she had JUST started getting pin feathers on her face for her first molting at the same time she got sick, so it was hard to tell at the time what was her being sick and what was her suffering from molting.

Since being sick, she has been extremely noisy, especially when you go to pet her or have food, but still lets you pet her. It's almost like this disgruntled growl. She also will just do it when she's just sitting there. She never used to do this and has been doing it a few weeks now. She was also eating pretty ravenously, I think as expected.

Here's a video (still has stress bars from her previous owner, no molt yet):

As of this morning, she now seems to potentially be sick again somehow, but we aren't sure. She threw up this morning (which she had not done before) after a shower, and seems to have a lower appetite than usual. Definitely seeming weak-footed like when she was sick. She's also being even more noisy than usual (same sounds as the video), where she wasn't very noisy when sick.

Really not sure what's going on and afraid we might have to take her to the vet again. Also, really doesn't seem like she's losing anymore feathers like I'd expect from a molt.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

D

Deleted member 29421

Is she vomiting or regurgitating? What does it look like?

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
My baby is just getting over a REALLY bad cold. Puked, sneezing and gurgling while breathing. :wideyed: (Respiratory infection) It's been over 2 weeks with this crap and my Farlie did the same thing yours is doing.
Go to the vet! :yes3:

Ruby_CBC

Moving in
Is she vomiting or regurgitating? What does it look like?
She...vomited(?) this morning after the shower I gave her (she got something on her head, I didn't know what it was), and it was super clear and really mucusy-looking. She hasn't puked at all today as we've been keeping a close eye on her

Last edited:

Ruby_CBC

Moving in
My baby is just getting over a REALLY bad cold. Puked, sneezing and gurgling while breathing. :wideyed: (Respiratory infection) It's been over 2 weeks with this crap and my Farlie did the same thing yours is doing.
Go to the vet! :yes3:
Yeesh, It would suck for her to have that poor of luck =(. I was thinking of bringing her there in the morning just in case, but I also hate to feel like I'm being paranoid...parrot X-o. I feel like I've been super focused on her behavior ever since she became sick.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Poor baby :( That doesn't sound fun at all!

Welcome to the forum!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It's a normal crimson vocalization for a baby and she is still young. In the video I think she was voicing her displeasure at being touched. The vomit has me concerned. That is not normal. Don't give her anymore showers until you have her checked out. You can use a moist towel to do any wiping if she gets anything on her. I think what ever she is vomiting needs to be cultured. She may not do that when you have her at the vet so ask if you can pick up a culture swab from your vet so you can get a fresh sample of the vomit if she does it again. As small as they are it doesn't take long for them to go downhill... so I think another vet visit would be appropriate soon. Where does she sleep? If you are using a water bottle you still have to clean it every day and put fresh water in it.

Ruby_CBC

Moving in
It's a normal crimson vocalization for a baby and she is still young. In the video I think she was voicing her displeasure at being touched. The vomit has me concerned. That is not normal. Don't give her anymore showers until you have her checked out. You can use a moist towel to do any wiping if she gets anything on her. I think what ever she is vomiting needs to be cultured. She may not do that when you have her at the vet so ask if you can pick up a culture swab from your vet so you can get a fresh sample of the vomit if she does it again. As small as they are it doesn't take long for them to go downhill... so I think another vet visit would be appropriate soon. Where does she sleep? If you are using a water bottle you still have to clean it every day and put fresh water in it.
Honestly, the water bottle thing might be the issue because we had not cleaned it since we first filled it a couple weeks ago...and now I feel like an idiot. I assumed it would have been fine since it's sealed but it makes sense to clean it. I'm taking her to the vet again this morning. Thank you for your help and information regarding the vocalizations as well! I hope she'll be okay =(

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Bloodwork? I'm curious what her liver values might be given those feathers. Or is she wet? But yes, she isn't wanting to be touched from the looks of things. It will not hurt her to get her on some milk thistle/dandelion in case. That would be my first thought if she were mine. You could also feed her senior nutriberries if you don't want to do supplements.

Prayers for her and you. Thank you for vetting!

Ruby_CBC

Moving in
Bloodwork? I'm curious what her liver values might be given those feathers. Or is she wet? But yes, she isn't wanting to be touched from the looks of things. It will not hurt her to get her on some milk thistle/dandelion in case. That would be my first thought if she were mine. You could also feed her senior nutriberries if you don't want to do supplements.

Prayers for her and you. Thank you for vetting!
In that photo she is not wet, she just stayed in a pretty stressful breeding house. She has turned out very sweet though despite that...I'm looking forward to her first molt finishing so she doesn't look like the black bar queen =P.

Thank you for the prayers! Unfortunately we attempted blood work last time, but they just couldn't get enough. Maybe when she's feeling better again at some point we can try again.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
In that photo she is not wet, she just stayed in a pretty stressful breeding house. She has turned out very sweet though despite that...I'm looking forward to her first molt finishing so she doesn't look like the black bar queen =P.

Thank you for the prayers! Unfortunately we attempted blood work last time, but they just couldn't get enough. Maybe when she's feeling better again at some point we can try again.
It will probably take more than one molt. Rupert was adopted last year in May, and he still has some feathers that are bad.

Ruby_CBC

Moving in
Just got back from the vet. They think that the bacteria may have had some level of resistance to the previous meds which is why it came back. The good news is they were able to get some blood work and an x-ray done this time (was too sick last time) and seems mostly okay otherwise. Waiting on some further blood work results. They are testing for Bornavirus but the initial blood work, which looked pretty good overall, didn't seem to indicate it. Here's to hoping more meds will fix it for good!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I think many people assume a water bottle is safe to fill and leave a few days. Bacteria can grow in the the bottle as well as the tip where they drink from if they have any food on the beak. Do you see her drink from it? I'd switch to a stainless steel cup or in a pinch use a plastic cup that hangs on the inside of the cage. Be sure to wash those items everyday and rinse well. Another thing to be mindful of is where you wash her cups. Bacteria in a sink that may not be harmful for us could be harmful for such a small creature. Especially if it's the same sink you wash dirty dishes or chicken, shrimp.. I use paper towels to scrub my cups and ditch them when I'm done. Sponges can harbor bacteria.

What is her diet... list everything. The noise she is making in the video is also the same sound baby crimsons make when they are hungry for feedings. Yours is well past the formula stage so it also makes me think this vocal she is doing is not just not wanting to be touched but a "complaint" in not feeling well.

Thank goodness you got her in so quickly. Like I said, it doesn't take long for them to go downhill. Sick one day and gone the next. Keep her warm, reduce her activity level ( as in holding her a lot). Monitor her intake of food... and what are you feeding her? I asked previously where she sleeps. Crimsons like to sleep covered. Two of mine sleep under their papers so I change their papers the last before turning lights out. All of my babies slept on the floor of the cage and never really got out of that habit.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Also, thanks for all the support everyone, I really appreciate it! Will keep you updated on Ruby's progress.
I really hope that you do post some updates. I will be wondering how your little friend is doing!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
How is Ruby doing?