• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My conure has a foot injury and foot is necroting please help!!

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
I think that may be the case. Surgery is always risky, someone here lost their bird while the poor thing's band was being removed.

To be honest, my bird hated the collar with every fiber of his tiny body. His was a little... extremely large for a tiny guy like him, and it took him a good week to really master shuffling along with it. His entire body was basically encased in the cone. But not all cones are like the one he had.

They hate cones. My guy was in one for 2 weeks and it was a process. We had to set up different perches and places for him to be able to eat and drink.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I just wanted to say that I’m sorry that this happened, and that your bird feels better soon!
:sadhug2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So sad for your poor bird to have to deal with this, sad for you also.
I hope the infection and the pain clear up very soon, poor little thing.

I can't figure out what is so happy about those huts.....the only stories I have heard about them have been horror stories! Why is it even still legal for them to sell them horrible dangerous killing implements as bird accessories? If a dog collar had such issues it would be removed from sale and hit the news. I can not understand that the company knows how many birds have been killed and seriously injured by their product but they still happily sell it to continue to maim and kill innocent birds. Most of the owners who buy them have no idea how dangerous they are, do they have a warning on the packaging?

Mer93188

Moving in
I just wanted to say that I’m sorry that this happened, and that your bird feels better soon!
:sadhug2:
Thank you so much I hope so too. He seems to be doing better I spoke to his vet and he doesn’t think he has an infection. I described everything and he mention as along as there’s no redness or fluids or heat coming out of that area then it’s just normal for it too look like it is and swelling is also part of healing. We’re going on a vet trip this weds

Mer93188

Moving in
So sad for your poor bird to have to deal with this, sad for you also.
I hope the infection and the pain clear up very soon, poor little thing.

I can't figure out what is so happy about those huts.....the only stories I have heard about them have been horror stories! Why is it even still legal for them to sell them horrible dangerous killing implements as bird accessories? If a dog collar had such issues it would be removed from sale and hit the news. I can not understand that the company knows how many birds have been killed and seriously injured by their product but they still happily sell it to continue to maim and kill innocent birds. Most of the owners who buy them have no idea how dangerous they are, do they have a warning on the packaging?
Actually recently while shopping for supplies for his current cage I have him in I looked at the packaging bf not sure if it’s new or has always been there but it has a warning sign. I can’t recall exactly what it says but, it mentions it’s dangerous. Years ago when I first got my baby I used to work at Petco and didn’t think anything of it and bought it for him and he’s had one even since. He’s done some shredding to most of them and I’d toss them and get a new one. Idk I guess all this time since nothing ever happened I didn’t think one day it would cause this nightmare. Thank you for the good wishes. It’s been some tough times I’m worried all day and can’t wait till it all clears up and we can start his new phase of adapting to his new life. He tries to grab his treats or food with his little cast and it sorta works. It breaks my heart because conure are known to grab and depend on their feet to eat. I know not entirely but, it’s one of the things I enjoy most. Him eating his treats with his foot or doing acrobatics. Which is still doing or trying so he’ll be fine. He’s fully flighted and has a huge aviary so those are pluses just have to make adjustments with some platforms and extra perches.:bounce3:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am pleased to hear they have a warning on the happy hut.
I am even happier to hear you are doing such a good job of helping out with all the adjustments needed during this stressful time for you both. Hopefully the healing faze will come to an end very soon and all will be well with learning the new skills needed.