• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My cockatiel screams all day long

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
He is not tame. Had him for 7 months. He was rehomed. Got him from the pet store. He screams if he hears anything. He will scream for hours. The only time he doesnt scream is when he is eating or drinking or sleeping. I am being drove nuts. He doesn't like my company and hisses at me if i get too close to his cage. I tried target training him but after he gets bored of it he starts screaming again. I just want him to stop. He has toys, he has fresh food and water, I try to be his companion but he hates me.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Does he get to fly and hangout freely outside his cage?

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Yes , he was clipped since I got him and his feathers STILL didnt grow back. Is that normal , after 7 months? So he flies to the floor sometimes, then bobs his head tryign to find a way up. so I offer my finger, he hisses at it, after 10 minutes he will climb on it then dive back to the cage. then scream again.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm sorry you are having trouble with your cockatiel. How big is his cage? Have you tried just sitting next to his cage a lot(or however near is comfortable for him) and reading aloud? Do you drop his favorite treat in his food cup many times throughout the day? Does he have a playset he can go on? Have you tried Perch training? I wouldn't give up the target training. Maybe some foraging in his cage would help.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It can take 6 months to 1.5 years for them to completely grow back their flight feathers because only a couple are replaced at a time. I would also ask the size of the cage and if you allow him to simply come out without having to step up, etc. What kinds of toys is he offered and how often are they rotated? What kinds of perches?

PiptheStarling

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
Was he with other cockatiels at the pet store? Does he have a place to hide if he feels insecure? My mom will put a blanket over her cockatiels' cage when they get upset, it makes them feel safe.
My mom has owned two cockatiels for over 25 years and they have only had their wings clipped once, but they have never flown since.:chin:

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
he was sold to the pet store with his mate. The original owner didnt tame nor bond with the birds im guessing. The pet store then sold his mate. 2 months later, I visit the store and buy him, thinking cockatiels are sweet and love companionship. After a couple of months after he got comfortable with me now all he does is scream. I sit next to his cage sometimes til the screamign drives me nuts. He does this tail fan thing when i get too close to his cage and hisses at me, unless i have millet and hes hungry. If hes not hungry he will hate me and scream. His cage is 30x22x45 inches, I think its big enough for two cockatiels. He has so many toys, he only plays with a couple of them for a short while then screams. Bells, balls, foraging toys, paper, leather toys, a cactus wood perch I put seeds into (which he wont let me unless hes outside of the cage or he will try to bite me). I allow him to come out on his own. He doesnt come out often. I've also been trying to get him to eat healthy, and it took me 5 months to get him to eat sprouted millet and flaxseed. I had to mix it with seeds to trick him to eat it, over the course of 5 months til he finally does eat it. He wont eat any other sprouted seeds either. In fact, he stopped eating most sunflower seeds and safflower seeds and now just picks out millet. An odd time he crunches on his pellets,(maybe a couple of times a week) but I think its just because he wants to chew on something, like how he chews his cuttlebone. He has no interest in veges. Ive tried mashing, mixing, hanging, the works. He hates vegetables and fruits.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Tara, I feel your pain. I have 2 tiels together and one of them screams all day, every day. Now tht I have a young caique I'm very afraid he will pick up on the constant scream.

You have done the best you can.I don't know if you have tried shredding toys; mine is not interested, although her cage mate is.

Our tiels have one thing in common: they lost their mates. (Mine died) I think this might be the key, they are yelling for a mate. Maybe. I don't know -- all I know is this is so frustrating! You feel like you want to help but there is no help. I'll call in @Monica ... help???

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What your bird needs is a bigger unrestricted environment (a bird room or indoor aviary) and a companion.

No matter what size your existing cage is you MUST start out with two cages. One for each bird so they are introduced "slowly" and never forced to interact with the other. They may end up in the same cage over time but you NEVER start out like that. It's a relationship that needs to develop slowly. They may not get along so this is a necessary step.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I never wanted 2 cockatiels. I also only have a 1 bedroom apartment so the bird room is out of the question. lol.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo screams most of the day also. It does wear on you. I have lived with him for 5 years now and he has screamed constantly for about 3 of those years. It takes a lot of work to get him manageable. If you haven't already, please look at the links I provided because those highlight many of the things we did to help.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mizzely & others have given you some excellent advise and remember it takes time to break habits. If you provide everything for them w/o making them work for it you will end up with a bored bird. JMHO but he could also be missing his mate and thats a hard one because just getting him another one doesn't always work.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
As an immediate thing, I would definitely make him forage for all his millet since that seems to be his favorite right now. No freebies! My quakers only get ONE free nutriberry a day. Any seed or other treats they have to work for. In the wild they would spend all of their time flying, looking for food, socializing with mates. Since he can't fly and he is alone, the food is the biggest thing you can currently tackle to help him not be bored.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How many hours of sleep does he get? What time does he go to bed? How long is he on average home alone? How long on average is he out of his cage a day? Do you cover him when he sleeps? Do you play a radio, etc. for him when he's home alone?

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
12 hours of sleep, he goes to sleep when it gets dark and gets up around 10. I have budgies so he screams to be with the budgies all day as well. Yes i cover him when he sleeps. Yes i play classical music for him since anything else makes him scream worse. I let him out of the cage for an hour a day at least sometimes more. I sometimes let him hang out with the budgies to shut him up but that just makes him worse when I don't let them hang out together.

Last edited:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I've got to second the opinion of the budgies possibly being his accepted flock. If his screaming gets worse when he is denied their company, why deny the company? He sounds very lonely. Sometimes we do everything as people to fill that companion space they need, but some birds just need the company of another bird to thrive.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think he needs to be with the rest of his flock, unless they pick on him. It sounds like he's frustrated because he wants to be with them. Also, an hour a day out of his cage is not really enough. He needs at least three total, broken up throughout the day.