• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My cockatiel passed away

Ismael

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone, so my baby cockatiel ( a bit less than a month old) started one day to mouth breath. I felt really frightened but a moment later stopped and it was a relief. But since then I noticed that he was weaker than usual and ate a lot less formula so i got him to the vet who gave me anti bacterial pills that i deluded in water and gave him 3 times a day ( a few drops each time). The day after he became more energetic but still didn’t eat as good as before and slept late after ‘bed time’ while crying non stop even when not hungry. Today i felt he was way better ,energy and food wise, but i still gave him a last dose of the medicine i mentioned earlier. Few hours later while he was walking on the ground i noticed that his beak and feet were turning white as blood didn’t flow anymore and he started limping and loosing control of his head while flapping his wings. I was in shock because he was perfectly normal seconds before and i tried desperately to give him a heart massage and to blow gently in his mouth but he died anyway. I can’t describe how sad I am right now and I’m not willing to have birds anymore because of the guilt. But I’m here looking for advice about what could have caused that so i can in my turn help someone to avoid that or to not repeat the same mistake another time if in the far future i changed my mind and felt ready to engage in this very serious responsibility

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I am so sorry for your loss losing a bird is never easy it’s heartbreaking but sometimes we never get answers and sometimes the answers don’t help just grieve in your way and try to ask what ifs (I know this is harder said than done ) but beating yourself up isn’t going to help

I hope in time you find it in your heart to home another little bird Because they bring so much love and happiness to our life’s makes me sad to think you may not let yourself but I get if you feel you can’t

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss. He was very young. Did he come from a breeder? If you decide to get another bird in time, I suggest getting a bird that's not a baby. They're less fragile than a baby and easier to care for.

Ismael

Checking out the neighborhood
I am very sorry for your loss. He was very young. Did he come from a breeder? If you decide to get another bird in time, I suggest getting a bird that's not a baby. They're less fragile than a baby and easier to care for.
Yes he did.l thought about that even though taking care of him and hand feeding him was a beautiful experience.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’m very sorry. May he rest in peace.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue