• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My Cockatiel may need a hysterectomy

Elli

Moving in
So my cockatiel went in for an operation today as she was egg bound. The egg was too big to pass and so she had to be operated on. During the operation however they were unable to fully remove the egg and only half came out. They stopped there because it was cutting the uterus. Now half the egg shell is still inside her uterus. They are hoping she passes it through her poop in the next 24-72 hours but if she doesn't they said she will need a hysterectomy.

Now I know this comes as a high risk factor. So I was wondering does anyone know if there is other methods to get her to pass those egg fragments rather than getting a hysterectomy? And if she does need a hysterectomy just how much danger is involved? I've been looking it up and everywhere is saying it's risky. I'm just scared to death of losing my little girl.

I will find out more tomorrow morning when the vet rings but right now I'm so in the dark worrying what may happen. If anyone knows anything or has experienced something similar I would very much appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Gee wiz, I have no idea what half of those words mean, but I'm quite sure someone here will be able to help you :)
I just wanna say that I hope you precious little girl gets better soon, and that the egg will pass- my prayers are with you :) It may be well worth making another post like this on the healthy highway or 911 emergency drive. Putting a thread there will probably get even more attention of those who can help.

Good luck, and sorry I couldn't answer your question :)

Elli

Moving in
Thank you. I will go do that. Not many seem to know about hysterectomy with birds but I'm hoping someone will or someone will be able to tell me something that can help her that doesn't involve a hysterectomy.

NerdyBirdie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
I'm so sorry!! Try feeding her soft and easily-digested foods, it may not do much, but it may ease any digesting pain. Sprouted seeds, banana, anything soft and cockatiel-safe could make a positive change.

And I really hate to say it, but it is very very risky, and you may not be hearing good news. If the vet keeps you in the dark, it usually means one of two things. 1: they don't know the right way to help. 2: They know that it's serious and are waiting for good news.

That must've been a larrrrggee egg. Once she gets it out of her system, make sure you up the calcium. I used to grind up cuddle bones and dissolve the powder in my 'tiels water.

Best of luck to you and your girl!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry. Don't have any advice about options but I hope your 'tiel will be OK.
You may want to get a second opinion from another vet.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Suprelorin implants every five months totally stopped my chronic egg layer Emily cockatiel from laying. Hysterectomy in that size bird is 99% fatal according to my vet. Get the implant! It's quick under a whiff of anesthesia and not really painful. Can't recall if she needed pain meds. i think not.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
So my cockatiel went in for an operation today as she was egg bound. The egg was too big to pass and so she had to be operated on. During the operation however they were unable to fully remove the egg and only half came out. They stopped there because it was cutting the uterus. Now half the egg shell is still inside her uterus. They are hoping she passes it through her poop in the next 24-72 hours but if she doesn't they said she will need a hysterectomy.

Now I know this comes as a high risk factor. So I was wondering does anyone know if there is other methods to get her to pass those egg fragments rather than getting a hysterectomy? And if she does need a hysterectomy just how much danger is involved? I've been looking it up and everywhere is saying it's risky. I'm just scared to death of losing my little girl.

I will find out more tomorrow morning when the vet rings but right now I'm so in the dark worrying what may happen. If anyone knows anything or has experienced something similar I would very much appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

please read my post above.

Elli

Moving in
I would like to add the reason they are considering the hysterectomy is if the egg shells don't come out of her uterus. They are worried they will get embedded into her uterus and cause and abcess. That's why I was hoping about some other method to help her besides the removal of her uterus. And If she makes it through all this I'm definitely getting her an implant to avoid any more eggs.

Also she is still currently at the vet. They are monitoring her there to see if she passes those egg shells and to make sure she is okay after her uterus was torn trying to remove the egg. The doctor who performed the surgery will ring up today to tell us more. When she does you can sure bet I'm gonna ask a lot of questions. I'll do anything if it means it can save my baby girl.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Your vet sounds very competent. They are advising the best course of action. If those shells do not come out the hysterectomy will be needed. The procedure will also eliminate ever having this kind of problem again but yes it is a very risky procedure. But a necessary risk. Sometimes life doesn't deal us very good cards and they are the only cards we have to play. I wish you and your bird (does she have a name?) courage and strength to pull through this.

Elli

Moving in
Her name is Skye. She is the sweetest thing.

The vet called and said she seems to be respoding well right now but hasn't passed any egg shells yet. But they said that isn't surprising as her uterus would be bruised and sore. It may take up to 14 days for her to pass them. They said they will only consider the hysterectomy if nothing else works. Though they said today they may even try going in through the stomach and removing the egg shells from the uterus that way. It's still risky but not as much as a hysterectomy. Now I just really hope she passes those egg shells and gets an implant so we don't have to worry any more. I really just want her to be okay. Little Sky is my emotional support and I really need her.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Rooting for Skye!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@jmfleish may add to this conversation. Hoping for the best outcome.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It sounds like your vet is competent, like John says. My Cassie (a LSC) had the same problem as your Skye had. She had to have an emergency hysterectomy when she couldn't pass some remaining egg matter that was lodged in her uterus. The surgery was a success, and she did recover.

Hopefully, Skye will pass the matter quickly. My thoughts and prayers are with her and you for a good outcome...

Elli

Moving in
It sounds like your vet is competent, like John says. My Cassie (a LSC) had the same problem as your Skye had. She had to have an emergency hysterectomy when she couldn't pass some remaining egg matter that was lodged in her uterus. The surgery was a success, and she did recover.

Hopefully, Skye will pass the matter quickly. My thoughts and prayers are with her and you for a good outcome...
That is good to hear. It does make me feel a little more confident in the matter knowing another cockatiel has had it and recovered. I just hope it doesn't come to that point and she passes them on her own. But the vet said it is a good sign that Skye is looking rather bright and happy despite her operation yesterday. They were expecting her to be more sluggish. So I'm hoping it keeps up and everything will work out well for her.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I have no advice but hoping your baby Skye will be OK.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Poor baby - she has my thoughts and prayers for this to resolve with no surgery! I can only imagine how scared I'd be.

Elli

Moving in
So Skye suddenly took a turn for the worse today and is now on strong antibiotics to prepare her for an emergency operation tomorrow. They will see then if they can simply remove the egg shells from the uterus or if they'll have to remove the whole thing. Right now they are hoping she remains strong enough to last to the operation and then hope she pulls through it. I really hope Skye makes it but I'm so scared. All I've been doing is crying. We went to see her today because it may be our last chance... I really hope it isn't. Please Skye, please make it.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I am so sorry that you and your bird are going through this. I hope she pulls through, keep us posted.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending positive thoughts for Skye's recovery. Hoping she will be OK.