• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My cockatiel makes squeeky sounds when I scratch her?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, that sounds so sweet!:heart:

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Correct me if I am wrong but its an adult, with females isn't that a mating sound?

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Awwww... I can see why this melts your heart!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Correct me if I am wrong but its an adult, with females isn't that a mating sound?
Good point, It could be if it’s little chirps, I was thinking maybe it was squeaks of happiness. Maybe a video is in order?

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Not a video, but here's an audio recording of Skyline. He's male and and mostly does this when he's sleepy - whether it's me scritching him, another bird, or even a toy. I can't speak for krupali's tiel, but at least in Sky's case I don't believe it to be a mating thing.
Vocaroo | Voice message

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Not a video, but here's an audio recording of Skyline. He's male and and mostly does this when he's sleepy - whether it's me scritching him, another bird, or even a toy. I can't speak for krupali's tiel, but at least in Sky's case I don't believe it to be a mating thing.
Vocaroo | Voice message
Yes, that's what my tiel sounds like, especially when I scratch
Vocaroo | Voice message
her beak!

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
I thought it wasa mating sound but I don't think so. I think she just feels really comfortable. And I dont go near her back only her head and beak. :hug8:

Marloz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My male make soft chirps sound when I scratch his head. It means he enjoys the scratches

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
Thats so weird. I just read this a few days ago, and tonight, Kata started making chirps when I was stitching her head. I came back to read what you all had concluded for a reason, lol. Gotta love tiels!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Marloz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thats so weird. I just read this a few days ago, and tonight, Kata started making chirps when I was stitching her head. I came back to read what you all had concluded for a reason, lol. Gotta love tiels!!!
I would stop stratching her head. The chirping sound does not sound good. You will make her start laying eggs. My female made that same sound and started to lay eggs.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That is not the behavior I thought you meant. If she is chirping with her back flat she’s getting hormonal. I would stop scratching her when she does this.

AviMom

Kata will be 1 year old Christmas day. I guess my little girl is growing up. She's never made that noise til last night. I've cuddled with her since I got her at age 3 weeks. Spending time with her is the favorite part of my day. It'll be hard not to rub her head....:sad3:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I know, Krupali, and I just want to tell you again how sorry I am that you lost your little sweetie. I know it’s not easy.
:sadhug2:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Kata will be 1 year old Christmas day. I guess my little girl is growing up. She's never made that noise til last night. I've cuddled with her since I got her at age 3 weeks. Spending time with her is the favorite part of my day. It'll be hard not to rub her head....:sad3:
Just refrain from petting her head when she’s in the mood. It’s fine to pet her head at other times of the day. Also, as I’m sure you know, don’t ever pet her back.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Just refrain from petting her head when she’s in the mood. It’s fine to pet her head at other times of the day. Also, as I’m sure you know, don’t ever pet her back.
My bird didnt make sound like that but my other bird, a latino does that when someone gives her scratches. That's why we dont scratch her when she's sitting on her eggs( the only time she will let anyone scratch her). This bird in video us hormonal

AviMom

Kata can be very insistent on getting head rubs. I don't pet her back, only rub her head. She just started making these noises, but as soon as I sat down with her last night, she started wanting head rubs. When I gently ran my finger over her head, she started making the noises. I distracted her with some millet.
My roommate lost his Quaker parrot, Moses, last night. It opened its cage, got out in the room, and his dogs attacked him. He was gone before my roommate could get to him. Moses was very dear to my roommate. He was his oldest bird. It's so sad.