• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My cockatiel is addicted to bird videos

JustJane

Meeting neighbors
I've had my cockatiel "Cheeky" for 4 months. He was ill when I got him, but he perked up when my son showed him cockatiel videos on YouTube while we nursed him back to health. Unfortunately, the video habit stuck. Cheeky still won't do anything (even eating, drinking, playing, etc.) unless the videos are on. He's not interested in either of us. The vet says he's healthy, and she's not concerned about his video habit. I'm on the fence about getting another cockatiel to keep him company. Is my bird the only one out there with this problem?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome:)
I hope you enjoy being a member of this great site!

It sounds like he would prefer one of his own kind to chatter to if I were to take a guess. I am no expert but it sounds like he is clearly showing signs of interest in his own kind over the company of humans.

Hopefully some of the other members who are more experienced will chime in soon and give you their opinions.

Weelasmaree

Strolling the yard
Are the videos of other birds or just videos in general?

I always put a show on or music for my birds if I’m leaving and feel they didn’t get enough attention but couldn’t say my tiels are addicted to the screen. :laugh:

Like a child, you could always cut it back and give him another activity to do. Make the screen time a treat, almost.

If you do think about getting another bird, even another tiel, you have to keep in mind they might not get along.

Good luck!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:coffeescreen:Your bird is getting too much screen time!:lol:
It sounds like he might like a cockatiel companion, but I would only get one if you have the time, money, and desire for another bird. It’s true that they might not get along, so you would have to be prepared for that, however even in separate cages they still provide companionship for when you are not home.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum Jane :fairy2:

I agree with the others, if you can house another bird financially and have the time to care for another bird, then go for it.

They will need to be quarantined for 4 weeks minimum, and after that must remain housed separately. If after a few weeks they are bonding, you may eventually be able to house them together.

JustJane

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone!

UPDATE: I gradually weaned Cheeky from the YouTube bird videos. He was inactive/depressed at first when the videos weren't playing, but he seems fine now. I agree that he definitely needs a bird buddy, so I'm on a waitlist for another cockatiel. I know there's no guarantee that the birds will get along, of course. So now, I'm not sure if I should get a male or a female companion. I haven't had a DNA test done on Cheeky, but I assume he's a male. Any advice on choosing a second cockatiel?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm not sure if I should get a male or a female companion. I haven't had a DNA test done on Cheeky, but I assume he's a male.
If you can take some pictures of your bird and post them in a new thread here: Cockatiel Corner | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum It is likely someone can sex your bird (depending on mutation).
It will be a step in the right direction of knowing which second bird to get :)

oddyssea

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Great to hear that Cheeky is no longer the screen junkie he used to be, well done!

I wonder if you might consider getting a different bird species as a friend for Cheeky, like a budgie for example. Simply because it would rule out potential issues with breeding if you end up with cockatiels of opposite genders. I’m not sure if you’ve had a budgie before but they are terrific little birds with tons of personality. Still no guarantee that they’d like each other of course but you wouldn’t have any potential issues with babies.

JustJane

Meeting neighbors
Great to hear that Cheeky is no longer the screen junkie he used to be, well done!

I wonder if you might consider getting a different bird species as a friend for Cheeky, like a budgie for example. Simply because it would rule out potential issues with breeding if you end up with cockatiels of opposite genders. I’m not sure if you’ve had a budgie before but they are terrific little birds with tons of personality. Still no guarantee that they’d like each other of course but you wouldn’t have any potential issues with babies.
I agree. I originally planned to get a budgie buddy for Cheeky because of the whole breeding issue. Unfortunately, I live in kind of a rural area, and my choices are limited. I've seen budgies in a couple of pet shops, but they looked a little iffy. Right now, I'm on waiting list for a hand-raised cockatiel from a place I trust (Cheeky was not hand-raised, which is a whole other issue!).