• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My cockatiel Coughs whenever he drinks - Video

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Hi, I posted about this in another thread but now I am really worried and had 1 response but he is still doing this.

Today , with the advice of someone, I moved his perch down lower and added more water to his bowl, so its completely full but he still coughs whenever he drinks.

I had him for a week and 3 days. Should I see a vet or am I doing something wrong ? My cockatiel is not hand tamed and appeared very stressed for the first 3 days I had him. It took him a full day to eat. I don't want to scare him again so soon. He doesn't know how to step up yet.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
No he's just gulping too much water. Part of the problem is the bowl is too low and the perch too high. If the perch was even with the bottom of the bowl he wouldn't need to reach down.

Nostrils got a good cleaning!! :)

He could use about 10 more perches of various sizes, shapes and textures. Nice big room with no furniture.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Advised to lower perch yesterday.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I lowered the perch yesterday and added more water to the bowl so its completely full and hes still doing this :/

Yeah I know I ordered more perches , theres not many perch varieties for pets in my area.

I will pimp out his cage , I only got him a week and 3 days ago. :)

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Actually I would get a vet check if he's doing this every time. This certainly can happen in a healthy bird that just drinks too fast or inhales a bit of debris accidentally, but if it's that consistent, I'm suspicious of a respiratory issue.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton loves showering, and the first couple of times he was in there, he'd lean too far forward, causing him to cough/sneeze like Pablo does. He almost sounded like a duck, to be honest.
Since he's still doing the coughing, I'd also suggest it's time to see the vet...

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Is he breathing OK otherwise?
You don;t know his history & hope you are trying to do quarantine.
Its possible he could be sick.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Yeah he appears to be fine except for when he drinks. He always puts his nose in the water

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Not supposed to put your nares in the water when you drink just the beak...
Maybe he was trained to use a water bottle & has never drank water from a bowl?

Can't see but does not look like he's dipping his beak too low in the water

Is he coordinated? Does he have trouble getting around?

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Yes he is coordinated. He just doesn't fly because his wings are clipped. He wouldn't touch a water dispenser and at the pet shop they had a cup of water for him, which is why I bought the same one.

The last couple of times i caught him drinking he didn't cough as much. I think hes getting better at it . It's so hard to catch him drinking ! I was with him for an hour this morning and he ate but didnt drink.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
The last couple of times i caught him drinking he didn't cough as much. I think hes getting better at it
Sounds like he's adjusting to the situation. Milton quickly learned not to stick his head under the shower head after he got water in his nose...;)

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Yeah i was with him for 2 hours today talking to him and watching tv and he didn't drink in front of me today at all. Usually i catch him in the morning but not this time. Maybe he got a drink while i was in the bathroom little bugger.