• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My cockateil's leg is injured :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

feather lover

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Shanoo
I bought a cockateil a few days ago . Before i could put him into his cage he few away and he crashed on a wall .....after that he started limping but other than that he is very active ............... he is moving his legs but he is not moving his fingers ........ a couple of days back i noticed a small color change on the nails of his injured leg ..........i touched his fingers but he didnt care about it . Has he lost his sense of touch in that leg?? ...................... i am from a small town in INDIA and we dont have any avian vets here:( .............. so what should i do to treat him (HE IS NOT MOVING THE FINGERS IN HIS INJURED LEG ) please help :(

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Keep him warm as well, not hot please..but warm if it is colder where you are. He may indeed have lost the feeling in his toes. may not be a break but a severe injury, Keep him with water 24/7 and also access to food at all times. Keep an eye on him to make sure his droppings are normal and make sure you don't have any scented candles burning around him , any sprays and if you do have air conditioning, keep him well away from the draught of it. Try to avoid grabbing him or handling him too much.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I asked Shanoo to join here in the hopes we can advise him on the care of his little tiels' leg. He has no vet in his area. Shanoo, it would help if you post a pic and the video you posted on FB to let others here see what is going on. A splint may be the only that can help but it needs to be done ASAP before the leg freezes in that position.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Also you need to set up a hospital cage. Tent 3 sides and the top and shine a light about 3-4 feet away on the cage NOT THE BIRD. Also put her food and water down low, no perches just towels on the bottom. And maybe some small boxes that he can rest on.

Ginger

unicornlady7

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Christa
When my green cheek conure, Aristotle had a broken leg, I made him a hospital cage. I used a clean 10 gallon fish tank, put a heating pad under half of it, put a towel on the bottom, paper towel over that and had his food and water in small ceramic dishes. I also hung toys from the top so he didn't get bored. His tank was tented on the back and the two ends. This kept him warm so he was able to heal without expending energy on keeping his body temp up. Good luck with your little guy! I hope he's feeling better soon!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Here is some info on Supplemental Heat: http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-emergency-highway-911/32882-supplemental-heat.html

You need to check and see if there is circulation to the toes. The easiest way to do this is to clip the toenail into the quick. If it bleeds then there is blood flow to the toes. If not there is no blood flow and this can be serious enough to contribute to the toes turning black and necrotic and losing them. This would have to be checked before the leg/foot was wrapped.

feather lover

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Shanoo
Thanks everyone ......... iam gonna splint his leg this evening .

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sending healing energy.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.