• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My chick has a slow crop.

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Hi everyone, I need so quick advice. I am hand feeding lovebird chicks and everything is going smoothly except with one chick. Its crop is not emptying, I have put on a crop bandage and gave him some warm water while watching closely, but nothing is happening. I think the problem is from the moth over feeding, when I first took him out of the nest, his crop was very big. If anyone has suggestions then that would be great, thanks!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hi everyone, I need so quick advice. I am hand feeding lovebird chicks and everything is going smoothly except with one chick. Its crop is not emptying, I have put on a crop bandage and gave him some warm water while watching closely, but nothing is happening. I think the problem is from the moth over feeding, when I first took him out of the nest, his crop was very big. If anyone has suggestions then that would be great, thanks!
As I understand it you are solely hand feeding the chicks? When did you pull this chick from the nest? What are you keeping it in now? This chick needs to be kept warm in a brooder with an inside temperature of at least 85 degrees F, could be warmer depending on the age of the chick. When chicks get chilled the digestion can slow down. If you are giving it warm water the temperature of the warm water should be 105-107 degrees F. Are you using a digital thermometer to test the temperature of this water as well as the formula you are feeding the chicks? Take a photo of the baby please so we can see what the crop looks like.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hello-
SLOW CROP/CROP STASIS:
In most cases of slow crop, either the baby is kept at too cool of an ambient temperature, the food is fed at the wrong temperature (either too low or too high) or dehydration (food is too thick).

In the event of crop stasis or slow crop, administer rehydration liquid mixed with baby applesauce (or papaya) and massage the area extremely gently; ensure the next feeding has a mix of pedialyte and infant applesauce with probiotics to keep the mobility; antibiotics and anti-fungal medications should also be administered to correct the condition if bacteria are present (but the apple cider should help to relieve bacteria overgrown as the chick becomes stronger).

If crop does not empty in a few hours after just apple juice or diluted apple cider vinegar with formula:
  • Administer: Mineral Oil in pedialyte. If the crop does not empty within a few hours, bring to the vet.

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
As I understand it you are solely hand feeding the chicks? When did you pull this chick from the nest? What are you keeping it in now? This chick needs to be kept warm in a brooder with an inside temperature of at least 85 degrees F, could be warmer depending on the age of the chick. When chicks get chilled the digestion can slow down. If you are giving it warm water the temperature of the warm water should be 105-107 degrees F. Are you using a digital thermometer to test the temperature of this water as well as the formula you are feeding the chicks? Take a photo of the baby please so we can see what the crop looks like.
These are the best pictures I could get. And the water I gave him was the right temperature too. He's about 4 weeks. KIMG0363.JPG KIMG0364.JPG KIMG0362.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
These are the best pictures I could get. And the water I gave him was the right temperature too. He's about 4 weeks. View attachment 329360 View attachment 329361 View attachment 329362

When was the last time he was fed? Was his last feed by his parent? Is the crop hard or soft? The instructions by @mythic55 would be the protocol I would follow.. be careful to only massage the crop gently so you don't force any contents up and into the esophagus. If this isn't resolved by tomorrow morning I'd get it into a vet ( avian vet). The longer the existing food sits the more bacteria can grow, gasses can build up and balloon that crop full of air. I don't think you need a crop bra on this chick.