• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My canary has lost her dad!

Suzana

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
I've a 3 year old female canary in a 5 x 4 x 2 indoor aviary. She lost both mum and dad over past year. They lived together all year round and never needed to seperate dad even with young chicks around as he was always friendly and helped feed mum and chicks. Her door is always open and they used to fly into the kitchen and lounge several times a day but since her loss she stays in the upstairs room where her aviary is. I feel she is unhappy but have read on numerous sites I shouldn't put a new male or female with her? Can any one help? I'm tempted to move the aviary in to the lounge but as it's quite big and I sometimes play loud music so am hesitant ! Any advice please?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Could you bring her in a smaller cage in to the room to get used to the noises and activity? If she gets used to it, then maybe then bring her aviary in to the lounge.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Why in the world wouldn’t you be able to give her a new friend?

I raise canaries, and they love companionship. I woudl not just stuff another canary in her cage, maybe that’s what they are talking about, but introducing one slowly would surely work out. Separate cages at first, slow introduction. Preferably another hen.

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Im with @finchly on this one. Canaries love company. A hen is a good idea. It would solve the aviary dilemma...it can stay where it is then. Is it very big? Or just bring it down anyway. Canaries are very tolerant of noisey kids, music and even the hoover. Obviously if the music is too loud the neighbors will complain lol. My canaries sing very loud during the breeding. .ear popping at times.

If you got a hen, at a later date you could get a cockbird..1 cockbird to 3 hens is ok.

Im also very sorry for your loss. These birds mean so much to us and part of the family.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry for your loss.

Suzana

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
Thank you all for your help and sympathy. I got Mum and Dad close to death from a bad petshop that was closing down hoping to give them space and good food for what I thought would be for a couple of weeks . Even though they both had respiratory problems which never cleared they stayed with me for four years. Producing 1 healthy little bub. Last year I moved from UK to EU and obviously survived the move. But this year not so lucky . Another question , how close to put a new friends cage to her aviary,can I let her fly to a new friends cage and how soon for them to move in together ? Would it be a matter of letting them both fly around the room together and just see which cage they wish to return to? As it is coming to autumn I could leave cage doors open 24 hour's a day!

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
With my new birds i give a health boost..seperate from my other birds firstly. I give probiotics for 3 days..flushes out any bad bacteria and gives the much needed good; mite treatment; bee pollen to boost their immunity because with a move into a different home their immunity is knocked and then basically observe to see if well and perky.

If all is well..let your birds see each other for a few days and then yes let them out together.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Another question , how close to put a new friends cage to her aviary,can I let her fly to a new friends cage and how soon for them to move in together ? Would it be a matter of letting them both fly around the room together and just see which cage they wish to return to? As it is coming to autumn I could leave cage doors open 24 hour's a day!
Good questions.
This is just how I do it. Others may have different ideas.

First, quarantine for 30 days. While in quarantine I do my various protocols as @Clairecanary15 mentioned. mine are here.
Then I move the cages near each other but not touching for a few days, maybe only 2 days if they seem interested. Then I push cages right against each other and see what they do through the bars. If they seem ok, I'll start opening the doors for a little bit at a time.

Distaff

Real Name
Mary
Well, that is interesting. I keep reading that they are solitary, territorial, that they will fight, that a single canary does just fine...
My guy never leaves the vicinity of the budgies' cage, and will spend all his time in with them if I leave the budgie door open (he will bully the male budgie, so I don't allow him in). His behavoir never made much sense to me, since that's not what my books say.

I'm not trying to derail the thread, but if canaries are social, I think more keepers need to know.

Best suggested practice?

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Canaries are very sociable..they will know within minutes if they like each other or not..usually yes they get on. Just hens or just males or mixed.

If you knew about and researched more about canaries then its obvious..but on the other side a beginner wouldnt know... fair point???

Distaff

Real Name
Mary
At some point, I'll have a big cage of society finches (and I've wanted a 'tiel since I was a little girl) - but not in this house. We are out of space. I hope my little Alejandro Picoso is still around for that day. (he is splashing around taking a water dish bath right now. So cute!)

Anyway, Suzana, best of luck getting a good companion for your girl.

Suzana

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
Thank you again for your help and advice. My only concern would be they didn't get on then I'd have to build another 5 foot aviary but first I must find a female. They only have males in the petshops around here and the closest breeder is a three and a half hour drive! On the plus side she flew into the bedroom this morning and wanted to sit with me for a minute. First time since her Dad went

Suzana

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
Well I went to petshop today as breeders all miles away. I should be banned from these places. I hate birds being in small cages! All 3 canaries were supposed to be 1 years old and all ringed but sex not known. 1 was younger healthy but timid óf me with no song. Another about 2-3 years molting but friendly and it's chirp was not sweet so I thought female. The last was older (much) not in great health also with chirp not song. Oops brought all 3!!! On arriving home my birdie fluffed up went over couldn't land on top of new birdies cage so perched by side not paying much attention cleaning her beak. She kept flying to and from her aviary for a while then after an hour stayed mainly in her aviary . New birdies not fussed but curious . So keeping fingers crossed . Think I might have 2 older females and 1 young male should hopefully make a nice new family .

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Oh wow..you have rescued them. The older one can finally retire and relax. I have a few older canaries and they can do as they please..would never part with them. I hate seeing canaries in tiny cages..the bigger the better.

It sounds like they have settled in well. This is the perfect time to get them during their resting time. What colours are they?

Suzana

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
Younger one yellow, middle white and orange and older one orange. My original bub looks like a half lemon with moss chucked on her. Ideally I would have liked another mossy one but as long as they become mates who cares. Might post pics later. Sadly new ones in small cage now but will let them have a fly around room tomorrow . Will only be in little cage till they settle in. Think orange ones will fly back but yellow one (me thinks) will take half a day till hunger sets in. I won't force them back.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
I have an older orange one too. You really know your stuff. I think its lovely that they can do as they please and there is no hurry. So the younger yellow one will enjoy flying around more than eating? I get my young ones in by using a piece of wood dowel with some millet attached to the end. As soon as they see it now they are on it. I wish I had the right environment to let mine be free the whole time like yours will be.

IMG-20180916-WA0001.jpg IMG-20180916-WA0002-1.jpg