• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My budgie's leg is hurt :-C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neu

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Neusa
Ollie Polly hurt her leg falling from the curtain rod. I am very sad and worried about it. She seems ok, eating, etc... but I don't know how bad it is and if it's serious. Can someone take a look at the pics and tell me id I should take her to the vet or is just a minor injury and what to do.Thank you all so much!

Attachments

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm so sorry Ollie Polly took a tumble. :hug5: Is she putting weight on the leg and walking or picking at it as if she is in pain?

Neu

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Neusa
Yes, she can, she is in her perch right now and I asked her to step up into my finger and she came. She stepped with her hurt leg first and her grip is not different, holding my finger like always. She is quiet and wants to be inside her cage for now. I know this pictures are not that good but it's hard to do that without help... Do you think is bad?

Neu

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Neusa
I'm so sorry Ollie Polly took a tumble. :hug5: Is she putting weight on the leg and walking or picking at it as if she is in pain?
Thank you! As a matter of fact she was just stretching her good leg and putting weight in her injured leg just now. She flies and walks, as of pain I don't know, I haven't seen her picking yet.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I think it's a scrape. I would sponge if off with cool sterile water and maybe a little mild soap to clean it off and keep an eye on it. It doesn't look swollen or broken, just scraped. If it does swell and she starts to limp or cannot perch, then I would take her to the vet.

Ginger

Neu

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Neusa
I think it's a scrape. I would sponge if off with cool sterile water and maybe a little mild soap to clean it off and keep an eye on it. It doesn't look swollen or broken, just scraped. If it does swell and she starts to limp or cannot perch, then I would take her to the vet.

Ginger
Oh gosh, I hope so... Thank you for the reply, I used an Iodine swab to clean it up, it says antiseptic/ germicide, is that ok? I will keep my eye open for swollen.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Yeeouch, but yes I think it's fine. Just keep an eye on her and check back to let us know how she's doing.

Ginger

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Iodine is known to burn so for the next time you might want to try cayenne pepper which doesn't burn, is an antiseptic and reduces pain. :)

Neu

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Neusa
That's funny, it didn't seem to hurt her then, but now that I come to think it must have sting her. I did not think... I just got the first antiseptic thing I could see in her first aid kit. I will check back to let you guys know how is it going. Thank you! At least it does not seem broken.

Neu

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Neusa
Iodine is known to burn so for the next time you might want to try cayenne pepper which doesn't burn, is an antiseptic and reduces pain. :)
Thank you for that!!!!! I did not know about cayenne pepper, poor little bird, I probably hurt her more... How do you apply that?

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Just to throw in another choice, I use the AviX soother gel -- it's basically aloe vera. It sounds like she will be okay -- glad to hear it :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hope the little girl is better.:hug8:

Neu

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Neusa
I am just writing to let everyone know that Ollie Polly is doing really well. Thanks for all your suggestions, very appreciated. The cayenne worked wonders and I found out she loves to eat it. Here is she:

Attachments

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Aww, she is adorable. So glad she's doing better. She looks bright eyed and bushy tailed.

Ginger

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Aww I'm soo happy she's feeling better... :) She's gorgeous.. :heart: She reminds me of my childhood parakeet, her name was Pixie.. :heart:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
She looks happy and like she is doing well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.