• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Budgie with no toes

ace44

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
So, Cisco my budgie for around a year went flying off one day and landed on a light bulb. Such a tragedy! All of his toes were severely burned. I knew that his flight feathers were growing back but I had no idea he could gain that much altitude. Before I knew it, he was atop my standing lamp. I only realized what he did hours later when his poor feet were all swollen. I took him to the vet and after about 2 months he had fully recovered. Unfortunately he lost all of his toes. Since he is no longer able to climb, I decided to repourpose him a new home. Here is a pic of what his feet looked like and what kind of housing KINDLE_CAMERA_1456990586000.jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1473151638000.jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1473151614000.jpg I came up with. My little guy is finally happy again. For all of the new budgie owners who have the birds wings clipped, be real carefull to pay attention to how far your budgie can fly when they start growing the primary flight feathers back in.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Nice set up. I'm glad he's happy and doing well. Do you have any platform perches? He might like those too.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about what happened to your budgie but great that he is doing well. You've done a good job setting up a comfortable and workable living quarters for him.

ace44

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for the kind words. No platform perches. I have considered them but he seems to get around fine. I really feel bad that happened to him. Now he has trouble hanging on sometimes and poor guy can't get a good scratch anymore. Budgies are amazingly adaptable though.