• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

my budgie needs help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anchi

Moving in
I have a budgie that needs your advice!! he had a wing surgery (amputation of the part of the wing where he had a big lump, they've sent it to analysis) and now he can't fly anymore...the problem is he thinks he can and he threw himself a couple of times, nothin never happened he was happy and talkative...until yesterday evening...he fell on his beak and since then he is whimpering and wheezing, he can barely catch his breath...it seems like something is making his breathing difficult...and like he is coughing and then looks like he is chewing something

I'm taking him to a vet tommorow but I wanna know has anyone had a problem like this with a bird, should I be really worried or you guys think he will be ok? I'm scared because he made it through surgery and all and now this....he didn't sleep at all during last night, I could hear his heavy breathing, and now the same, he should already be a sleep (we live in Croatia) and he can't, his eyes are closing but when he has to catch a breath he opens them...he didn't sing or say anything today and he usually talk a lot, he is a happy little bird, and today he is full of sadness....sorry for my english, please could you advise me, I can't listen to his sad and heavy breathing anymore :(

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Anchi, welcome to AA. Is there any way you can bring him to the vet tonight? It sounds like he hurt his beak and he is in pain. :( You are going to have to make his cage a little different to accomodate his new way of living until he gets used to not having use of that wing. I would take him tonight to an emergency vet if possible. Poor baby. :hug8:

anchi

Moving in
thank you for welcoming me :) I'm taking him tommorow morning to the avian vet on a Faculty of Veterinary Medicine..they operated him there...a doctor who operated him (I have him as a friend on facebook) told me he probably injured his throttle....his beak seems fine but maybe injury is not visible...he has to make it through the night, it is so sad to hear him breathe like that, his every single breath sounds like a sob....

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh no, poor baby...I think it is important to get him to the vet ASAP...is he in a small carrier now? I think Pat is right, you will have to make sure he can't hurt himself like that until he is used to his disapbility. Until you can get him to the vet keep him warm and calm...

I am sure others will be on soon with more help.

I hope he will be ok. :hug8:

looniebirds

Jogging around the block
Real Name
melody
Anchi, see! Somebody will be able to advise you. These folks are the best in an emergency!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Is his opposite wing clipped? if not you might want to clip it so that he feels more balanced.

If you place your ear to his back can you get an idea of where the wheezing is coming from? If up high in the throat...there could be a slight possibility that a seed or food got lodged in the trachea from the fall. How this would happen is if he had food in the crop and when he fell and landed wrong some of this could have been forced up his neck and into the throat.

You might want to ask about the possibility of this to the vet. Until you can get to the vet try and keep the little fella warm and still.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
make sure to keep him warm if you cannot get him to an avian vet tonight...good luck with this..also I would recommend a smaller cage or at least put a soft cloth on the floor of his cage and maybe move a perch low down so he can balance better...I wish you luck with this and please come back on and let us know how he is doing
Dobra sreca sa malen mrdanje, Bog Blagosloviti.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Hi,

You need to keep him warm, and hydrated. It would be best to keep him in a small cage with low perches so he doesn't have't have to expend too much energy trying to get around. Is he eating or drinking at all?

If not you may have to give him a drop or too of corn syrup to keep us his sugar until you can get him to the vets. Can you call the vet and see if he can see him tonight?

Ginger

anchi

Moving in
I took him and put my ear on his back and even though he was moving I did hear like his breath is going through something...like when you're grinding walnuts...up in his throath....srtiels it might be what you said....his head is high he is trying to breathe..I'm taking him to the vet in 7 hrs he has to make it through!!! you think this could be an easy thing to fix? :( my poor little friend, he is so brave and strong and now this :( and I should clip his other wing thats a good idea...

anchi

Moving in
he ate and drank, but not much...it seems like he is breathing with his beak, not with the nostrils so it is difficult for him to eat and breathe......I gave him tea...he loves to be on a swing so there he is right now....

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Anchi is he drinking? Another thing that might help is bringing him in a small cage if possible into your bathroom and getting it steamy so he can breathe better. I think Susanne's idea of clipping his other wing will help him balance better. We have a lot of people with disabled birds and can give you lots of tips on making him more comfortable but right now we need to focus on getting him breathing better tonight I hope.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
...he loves to be on a swing so there he is right now....
I'm sorry your baby is in distress. You need to keep him low in the cage so he does not fall from weakness and injure himself more. Can you lower his swing/perch or put him in a smaller cage and pad the bottom so if he falls he will be safe?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I do agree with Danita Anchi. How long has he been breathing like this? Even if you do a follow up with your regular vet tomorrow if he cant see you tonight, if you can bring him somewhere else I would.

anchi

Moving in
I will take him to the bathroom now and make it steamy...I will rearange his cage...I don't think the vet in the place I live in is good enough :( thats why I want to take him to the avian vet...its 2:30 am over here and I'm taking him to the vet at 9 am.....he did drink, I gave him water and tea..

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I see. I didnt realize where you were, poor sweety must be tired too. Well try the bathroom and see if that helps but dont let him out of his cage, he needs to conserve his energy. I hope the steam helps and then maybe you can both try to get some rest. PLEASE keep us updated. :hug8:

anchi

Moving in
and, he fell a day and a half ago....on saturday evening and now its monday morning...

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Also you might want to show up early for your appointment, maybe they will take you in right away.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Use your best judgement as to whether or not to take him to the other vet and we will do our best to help and hopefully you will be able to take him tomorrow to the vet you feel more comfortable with. Just keep in mind that many regular bird vets are good also. But you know who is available better than we do. :hug8:

anchi

Moving in
he is tired because he didn't sleep last night...I was on couch next to his cage and all I could hear was breathing like sobbing...and every time I checked he didn't sleep :( I will keep you updated, you guys are great, thank you so much..he has to be fine I love him so much

Status
Not open for further replies.