• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My budgie flew away!

MrPine

Moving in
Real Name
Ryan
This morning when I was leaving for school, I had opened the door when my budgie Caelum tried to land on my shoulder. Normally this isn't a problem and a just close the door and set him back on his cage. But today, my parents yelled after me trying to warn me and spooked my bird. We set one of his cages on our porch with spray millet in it. We went looking for him in the field we saw him fly over a field and went to look for him. We live in the desert so there arent many trees for him to perch on. We also posted pictures of him in our local Facebook groups. Is there anyhting else we shoiuld do?

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Hi Ryan. I'm so sorry about Caelum. I hope he will return today!
Have you googled pet lost and found for your city or town? That might help just to spread the word. Good luck. Will be thinking of you and hoping for a safe return.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry. I hope you find him soon. You can post on Parrot Alert. Also, alert your neighbors, the local police, and any vets or rescues in the area.

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
Have you left his cage outside, as he may return to his cage, fingers crossed for safe return.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Post notices at vets offices, police depts., schools, shelters. I don't know how old you are but if your budgie is friendly and likely to go to someone your size/age that's why I'm mentioning schools. If you have any shelters/rescues in your general area post notices there too. Medical offices, post office, preschool locations. If Caelum is people friendly he might go to someone if he's tired and hungry/thirsty.

MrPine

Moving in
Real Name
Ryan
Im a minor. I live in a pretty rural area about 15 miles otside of town. Caelum is completely tame and has bonded to me. He usually comes when called, likes his stomach pet, and likes to give kisses. I enjoyed when i would be walking through the house and have him land on my shouder or head. I have two cages that he lives in. The cage doors on both of them are always open because I allow my budgies fly around the house at all times because they seem happier when they get to come out when they want. I've set one his cages outside with food and spray millet inside. I have walked a 2 mile radius around my house looking for him. I've called local pet stores and left my number, but not any vets. It's been getting awfully cold outside and I'm worried sick about him. I hope he's okay. My other budgies keep flying to where I kept the other cage as if their looking for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
If possible put his cage up on the roof so he can see it easily from up high like in any trees near by. It is his home so he'll get hungry and thirsty and want to go to a safe place he knows. Make noises with his favorite toys and call his name and if he's close by he may respond. When it gets dusk he'll find some place to roost and sleep for the night. Lurch found a high tree and slept in it and watched us for 2 days but he was afraid to fly down and eventually got scared away by crows. When he woke up in the morning he refused to make noise till he heard me calling my name then he woke up and started calling back to me and we figured out where he was in his tree. Good luck and don't give up.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If he came to you when you called him then I think it may be a good idea for you to be outside calling him as often as you can and as loud as you can. Maybe look around the closest trees in the direction he flew in.

I really hope he manages to find his way home to you soon.

MrPine

Moving in
Real Name
Ryan
I moved his cage to the roof. Where I live there is mostly open fields filled with sagebrush. The only trees are those that are in my neighbors yards. I’ve searched probably every tree and telephone wire in a 2 1/2 mile radius from my house. My family and I have walked, and driven around calling for him and trying to hear him. The only birds we hear are the crows and sparrows. I’ve posted ads in local Facebook groups and have called local pet shops and have tried getting ahold of all the vets and animal shelters, but they are all closed for the weekend. I’ve placed flyers at our mailbox and the nearest gas station. I’ll post a picture of Caelum. (He’s the blue one) 63FAD267-C12D-44E7-AAA9-EEF95A8EE72F.jpeg

AmberC

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amber
I have had 5 birds in my lifetime and they have flew away 5 times and only once one of them wasn’t found. So there is only a 1 in 5 chance you won’t find him! It’s never too late!

Post it on ParrotAlert & Facebook. And put posters up! make sure they include:

-when he was lost
-where he was last seen
-Where to contact you if he is sighted or captured
-a clear image of the bird

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
This thread is two years old, and this member has not logged in in almost two years.