• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My budgie doesn't want to move from his cage

Royal Budgie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabelle
My budgie, Navi, doesn't like to move away from his cage. He will only come out when I take him out through the top of the cage, and even then, he doesn't want to move from the top of his cage. He moves away from my hand when I put it up there, and he doesn't always climb on the perch. Most of the time, when I leave the cage door open, he doesn't come out either. It's probably because I don't leave it open for too long, though.

When he does let me move him away, though, he flies back to it when I turn him around (or when he turns around himself). My dad went and bought him a cage though, so it's rather small (I plan on getting a bigger one to fit more things inside), and he barely has anything to do because of that. I would have thought he liked being out of the cage to be more active though.

Any tips/advice?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Birds are very scared of many things because they are prey animals. I know it sounds silly but he has to get use to the concept that you or anyone else is not going to eat him.

How long have you had him? If you got him recently, he still might be very wary of leaving his cage. Why don't you pull a chair up beside his cage and just talk to him. Read to him from a book or a paper if you run out of things to say. The point is getting him use to your voice.

Royal Budgie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabelle
@Sylvester

A while now. Maybe 2 or 3 months. But I’m definitely trying to spend more time with him than during school.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
A while now. Maybe 2 or 3 months.
That's no time at all to a bird! It seems like forever though, doesn't it? He's probably still getting settled in. Let him take his sweet time, and when he's ready he'll blossom into the beautiful bird he's meant to be! :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just open the door and walk away :) Some birds take a while to come out on their own, but given the option repeatedly for several weeks most will make some attempts!

Royal Budgie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabelle
@Mizzely

Thank you!

I also have another question now, what size of a cage should I get? And where to get it from?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Mizzely

Thank you!

I also have another question now, what size of a cage should I get? And where to get it from?

I would go for a flight cage myself :) It gives a lot of space for toys and perches, while still allowing the bird to do short flights inside.

I usually check wayfair.com, amazon, and Drs Foster & Smith

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)

Royal Budgie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabelle
Oh goodness, it looks like I have another problem. . . :depressed:

My budgie (Navi) used to almost always step on my finger, but for some reason, now, he only does it sometimes.
And even more, even when he does step up, he flaps back onto his perch in only a few seconds. It's even quicker for him to fly off when I move my finger around the cage or near the cage door :sad11:

Any advice? :budgie2:

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Oh goodness, it looks like I have another problem. . . :depressed:

My budgie (Navi) used to almost always step on my finger, but for some reason, now, he only does it sometimes.
And even more, even when he does step up, he flaps back onto his perch in only a few seconds. It's even quicker for him to fly off when I move my finger around the cage or near the cage door :sad11:

Any advice? :budgie2:

Seems like he has some reservations and doesn't completely trust you at the moment. This isn't bad, just an opportunity for some fun training for the two of you!

Is there a treat involved? For step-up training (and reinforcement) treats are critical. You can use millet, teensy bits of a (hulled) sunflower seed - whatever encourages your bird to come to you. The more trust, and the more engaging the experience, the easier it will continue to be. Progress may not come overnight, so don't be discouraged. Keep at it for a month or two and see how it goes! Don't try moving him around on your finger if he's not yet used to being on the finger at all. Slow and steady.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Try to think: what's in it for the bird? If there is no incentive to be on you, why should they stay?