• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My brothers girlfriend wants a parrot...

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
so my older brother is engaged to his girlfriend, Brittany. Honestly I have no idea why he hasn't breaken up with her!! She is mean to me, she freaks out when my dog barks and yells at him, she got a chinchilla and my other brother ended up inheriting it because she just forgot about him, she tried discouraging me from getting a bird, I can go on and on but I guess you get the point haha. She's really selfish but anyway let's get to the point. I started wanting a bird after my guinea pig died (R.I.P Luna) and I did a lot a research and everything. She found out I wanted a bird and tried discouraging me from getting it saying "it's going to be loud and annoying" "it's gunna make a mess" and of course I never listened to her. So I got a cockatiel which is the greatest bird ever!! He's not annoying at all and I'm the one that makes the mess haha. After I got Riley she started wanting a bird but she CAN NOT get one. My bird chirps once and she gets mad, she tried poking Riley with a stick, (I stopped her immediately) she can't even take care of her husky that we end up taking care of like everyday. What's really bad about it is that she wants a big parrot without even thinking about how she's going to take care of it. She gets pissed when willow, her husky wants to go outside. She just thinks having a bird is just having it in a cage as a decoration or something my whole family knows how selfish and irresponsible she is. I can say way more things but this post is going to get way to long. I need to do something to stop her :(

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I'm afraid with everything you have said about her there is not much we could say to discourage her....some things just have to come with maturity and its evident she is not

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I think you should pretend to be supportive of her decision, and ask if she'd like to go to a bird rescue and let her interact with a Macaw or African Grey. That's what dissuaded my mom from getting a parrot! (I hope she outgrows this "need" for a bird.)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'll send Tika over there for a week. That should be plenty long enough for her to get her fill of a big parrot. You'll never hear the word bird uttered again.

Well if I was you I would be constantly on her case about how she looks after her animals now. Pointing out every flaw and shortcoming. A real pain in the tuckis until she started to clue in. Fight fire with fire.

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
I'll send Tika over there for a week. That should be plenty long enough for her to get her fill of a big parrot. You'll never hear the word bird uttered again.

Well if I was you I would be constantly on her case about how she looks after her animals now. Pointing out every flaw and shortcoming. A real pain in the tuckis until she started to clue in. Fight fire with fire.
I'll try my best :)

Perriewinkle

I agree with John (wait... did I just say that?? oh crap...)

I'd point out every possible second how she can't take care of anything now.. then.. surprise drag her to a shelter with birds... lots of birds.. the more birds the better.. even better if you tell the shelter before hand.. so they can help.. umm "dissuade" her from such things...

:devil:

If she doesn't like you now.. there's no reason to be nice.. right? :angel4:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Maybe you can talk to your brother about it? Or I can send you a post of my too screaming. Which he does everyday. LOL. And he's not really even that loud compared to a lot of other birds........

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
Maybe you can talk to your brother about it? Or I can send you a post of my too screaming. Which he does everyday. LOL. And he's not really even that loud compared to a lot of other birds........
Haha I think she thinks all birds are like mine because mine is quiet but they all have different personalities

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Set your ringtone/text alert to the sound of a cockatoo screaming on a day you're meant to spend time with her. Turn the volume up as high as it will go. Get your friends to call you sporadically :evilgrin:

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Please be careful of what you say on here. At some point if she continues to want to want a bird you would want her to come here and get information/education.
We encourage people to read old threads. :huh: He hasn't broken up with her because he gets something out of the relationship. I have wonderful sisters-in-laws.
I don't see what they saw in my brothers. ;)

You've been given some good advice and some fun advice. I wouldn't be on her case if you want her to like you from an in-law stand point but you can educate her.

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
Please be careful of what you say on here. At some point if she continues to want to want a bird you would want her to come here and get information/education.
We encourage people to read old threads. :huh: He hasn't broken up with her because he gets something out of the relationship. I have wonderful sisters-in-laws.
I don't see what they saw in my brothers. ;)

You've been given some good advice and some fun advice. I wouldn't be on her case if you want her to like you from an in-law stand point but you can educate her.
If she does go on this website I will delete the tread haha

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
Set your ringtone/text alert to the sound of a cockatoo screaming on a day you're meant to spend time with her. Turn the volume up as high as it will go. Get your friends to call you sporadically :evilgrin:
Hahaha

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Perhaps its just a whimsical want and a not a true desire to be a parrot owner.

I mean, shoot, I want many things.

Id love to have a hundred more cockatoos. And I want a mansion with a large courtyard and maid houses with very large gardens and surround by a large large field of wheat and wild flowers and the far outskirts, surrounded by a dense forest and in the very far distance there are snow capped mountains that I yearn to see. I want several very large horses that I can gallop on in a very lush green field of ripening wheat, our hair blowing in the wind as we run in pursuit of a dream. The mist from the heavens parting at our feet as we fly down the field. The townsfolk will think I am a goddess straight out of the pleroma and bow down before my galloping white steed and..

Well it doesn't mean it truly will happen. They're just wants.