• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Bobo dislocated his hip.......

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Saturday morning my little Dog Bobo fell off the bed and dislocated his hip. He didn't even fall very hard, just sort of slid but landed on his left hip and it popped out. So there was lots of yelping and screaming. Had to take him to a 24/7 Vet hospital where they reset the hip and it promptly popped back out 12 hours later. Anyway, long story short, he is home now and scheduled for surgery on Friday. They are going to remove the head of the femur and have it "float" in the socket. The vet says lots of dogs do just fine with the surgery and can get around just fine. So he is kenneled now and on codeine and Gabapentin. Thanks for listening.........I have been so stressed and haven't slept much in two days. :(

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Oh how scary! I’m so sorry this is happening to your Bobo, and to you! :sadhug2:

I’m praying for a nice, quick recovery for Bobo.

(What kind of dog is Bobo?)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Bobo got hurt. Hope all will be well.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Best wishes for Bobo:sadhug2:
I hope his surgery goes smoothly and he recovers quickly. Please let us know how he does. Poor baby it's awful when our babies are sick or injured. Feel better Boho :heart:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
OH no that must have been so painful. I am sorry.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts. He is sleeping now and is not in pain, he is on Codeine and Gabapentin. I will update you Friday after the surgery. We are going in on Wednesday for blood work since he is 13 years old. I tried to get the surgery sooner but all local vetrinary surgery clinics were booked until Friday. Thanks again for the prayers and good thoughts.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
OK......for those of you that wanted an update, Bobo just got out of surgery and did JUST FINE. They think they will be wanting to keep him until Monday because they want to see him use that leg a little before he goes home. Sunday they are closed and they close early (12 noon) on Saturday. BTW, that's Bobo in my Nu2birds photo to the left here. I'm SO relieved, thanks for everyones support.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad that Bobo is OK. Can you go visit him?
BTW, he's very cute.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
No, but I have brought my pets to this clinic for 20 years, she is the same vet the whole time. I just live a couple blocks away, so I feel he is in great hands and I can rest now.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My mini poodle puppy broke her leg the first day I brought her home from the shelter. Needed a figure eight wire, several pins (vet described this as an explosion in a pin factory) and a screw in her leg. Forgot which bone/s were broken. Everything healed nicely but the screw had to stay in and then a few years later she had a patellar (kneecap) luxation in the same leg and needed surgery to correct that.

Last edited:

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
One more update..........I just brought Bobo home from the vet (yes on a Sunday), they said he was doing great, but seemed very unhappy and whiny. There are technicians there over the weekend but only twice a day. So they thought he would be better off at home. He is sleeping soundly in his bed now. He's on pain meds and anti inflammatories. I can start some gentle Physical therapy on Monday, she said. I'm so relieved the surgery is over.