• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My blue & gold

Sarg

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Donna Tucker
Sarg is 20 years old. Never had a problem with him til last year at this time. This year it happened again only worse. I took him to my vet and she sent me to an avian vet as he was throwing up yellow liquid. The avian vet did blood work and gave him an antibiotic and wasn't sure he would make it. I took him home and gave the antibiotic as told. That night he slept with me to keep him warm and did not move. Since then he has gotten more active and is preening again and talking. I had him back to the first vet for x rays as he was not eating. The bloodwork and the x rays were all fine. The only thing I haven't received back is the gender test. So I do not know if its a boy or a girl. I have been syringe feeding him. However I have been told several different amounts to feed him and how often. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It depends on how big he is for how much you feed him. When my Hank was existing on syringe feedings only, the vet wanted him to have a minimum of 60 gm 3x per day of food. I used baby bird food with almond butter and papaya in it - all blended smooth and heated to 105f. You can use Prozyme in the food to help him digest. Amazon.com : Lambert Kay Prozyme Powder, 85g : Pet Supplies

There are many diseases that could be causing his regurgitation. Two that come to mind immediately are Heavy metal poisoning and avian gastric yeast. You vet (avian vet) should test to narrow down the possibilities.

Please don't sleep with him. We have had severalmembers who lost their bird by sleeping with the. They were either rolled on and killed or suffocating.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you monitoring his weight?
Giardia can also cause vomiting.
If you want to keep him warm you can cover the cage on the sides and also put a heating pad under or over about half of it. Make sure the cord in not accessible to him. Please do not sleep with him.
Hope that he will be better soon.