• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bitey Cherry Head

Barbara Bain

Moving in
Real Name
Barbara
Hi. I'm new to this forum. I'm struggling a bit with my 1year old female Cherry Headed Conure. She is very bitey lately. I am aware she is having hormonal changes and thinks my arm is her honey. But she insists on biting my ears a lot. A white bellied caique joined the flock and was wondering if both the hormones and jealousy could be the cause. And what do I do to limit this biting since my ears need ear muffs and I don't want to be upset with her. Help...please.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It could be both? How many hours of sleep does she get? You may have to stop letting her on your shoulders until the biting passes.

Barbara Bain

Moving in
Real Name
Barbara
We have music time for 730 to 830 then off to bed. She wakes about 730 am so 11 hours. She has always been bitey but it has gotten so much worse. She laughs when i threaten to turn into a pug bird or have tiny little drum sticks for dinner. [Joking of course].

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Your best bet is to avoid situations where you know she'll bite and to redirect the behavior before it occurs. If she does end up biting you, get her off you and figure out how you could avoid that situation in the future.

Have you done any target training with her?

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
If your fid has already established a bad habit... it is going to take a while to reverse the behavior! Remove the effect and the cause will diminish with time and training... there are no short cuts, just patience, positive reinforcement and training!

Let us know how you go!

Barbara Bain

Moving in
Real Name
Barbara
Well, an amazing thing happened. Emie attempted to take my ear off two nights ago. I gave her a 15 minute time out and covered her cage. We did this three times and have not had to do it again. Two days and my ears are still whole. Amazing.

Thanx everyone for your suggestions and caring. I love Emie Rose and want her to be happy and curious about her world.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Her biting your ears could have been her being curious about her world - and you in it. Or maybe she was trying to tell you something?

Barbara Bain

Moving in
Real Name
Barbara
Yes. Like get off the phone when my mom calls or why did you have to bring home my baby brother Caique.