• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My birds must be weird avi-cake boycotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I bought them a pack (whew pricey! $8?) and Cupcake chews out the seed and dumps the pellets; Paris ate them but could care less, Skittles and Mango never even touched them. Mah birdiez iz weird. :laughing12:

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
I notice that taste varies so much even among breeds.

Amanda how was Cupcake with her meds? I think Ella is drinking more water than her usual. I see her sipping it a few times a day. Maybe the meds make her thirsty or maybe I didn't notice her drinking before.

She still won't eat any pellets yet but she sure loved the Higgins Worldly cuisine spice market. And I didnt have to spoon feed it to her -- she loved it.

HungryBird

My birds used to eat Avicakes but refuse to touch Nutriberries. Now they don't get either so they would probably inhale either! I tried making my own but I couldn't get it to stick together.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Nah, I wouldn't consider them weird by any means!

One of my cockatiels used to not know what millet was! Hang it in the cage, and it was ignored for weeks! Now though, she eats it just fine!

Another one of my cockatiels quite possibly ate seeds all of her life, and not wanting to change her diet too quickly, I kept her on seeds (healthier ones than the ones she was getting in her previous home). As soon as she joined the tiel flock, the first thing she ate was pellets! And she's been faithfully eating pellets ever since, as if they've *always* been a part of her diet!

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
My guys like them. They're better then pellets I think they're saying :p They go nuts over nutriberries though.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
At least nutriberries smell good. The avicakes smell like wonky peanut butter or something. Yech.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I notice that taste varies so much even among breeds.

Amanda how was Cupcake with her meds? I think Ella is drinking more water than her usual. I see her sipping it a few times a day. Maybe the meds make her thirsty or maybe I didn't notice her drinking before.

She still won't eat any pellets yet but she sure loved the Higgins Worldly cuisine spice market. And I didnt have to spoon feed it to her -- she loved it.
Ella, the vet said it wasn't uncommon for them to drop a little weight on antibiotics. I did notice decent water consumption--this might be a good thing with Ella since she is underweight. Part of that could be due to dehydration.

Cupcake was really good. How is Ella doing with them? My vet told me to offer her a wet bundled paper towel right after I gave her the meds so she could "drink" the water from it and make sure she got the meds all down.

sassie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Laura
PoGo loves the avicakes no one else here does though. But everyone likes the berry all the flavors

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Ella, the vet said it wasn't uncommon for them to drop a little weight on antibiotics. I did notice decent water consumption--this might be a good thing with Ella since she is underweight. Part of that could be due to dehydration.

Cupcake was really good. How is Ella doing with them? My vet told me to offer her a wet bundled paper towel right after I gave her the meds so she could "drink" the water from it and make sure she got the meds all down.
She's doing pretty good with them. Of course she fights me and bites the syringe. She does get nippy but her bites are mild, she just grabs ya and let's go, no blood and no real pain.

The meds must not taste good. I tried the meds in oatmeal and in handfeeding formula, even 1/4 meds and 3/4 percent oatmeal or formula and as soon as she tastes it she won't eat any more. So I opted not to give it to her in the food anymore because I want her to eat her food. She still eats fairly well, still talking and still playing so she is doing well with them. I hope she doesn't lose too much.

The vet didn't tell me about the papertowel but I was doing this after she ate to wash her mouth and to make sure she got sips of water because I wasn't noticing her drinking but with the meds I see her sipping water off and on throughout the day, not excessive amount just 2 or 3 sips but hadn't noticed her drinking as much before.

I will do the wet papertowel after meds to make sure they wash down.

sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
She's doing pretty good with them. Of course she fights me and bites the syringe. She does get nippy but her bites are mild, she just grabs ya and let's go, no blood and no real pain.

The meds must not taste good. I tried the meds in oatmeal and in handfeeding formula, even 1/4 meds and 3/4 percent oatmeal or formula and as soon as she tastes it she won't eat any more. So I opted not to give it to her in the food anymore because I want her to eat her food. She still eats fairly well, still talking and still playing so she is doing well with them. I hope she doesn't lose too much.

The vet didn't tell me about the papertowel but I was doing this after she ate to wash her mouth and to make sure she got sips of water because I wasn't noticing her drinking but with the meds I see her sipping water off and on throughout the day, not excessive amount just 2 or 3 sips but hadn't noticed her drinking as much before.

I will do the wet papertowel after meds to make sure they wash down.

sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Good. Hijack my thread anytime to talk about Ella. :heart:

penguin

Avenue Veteran
I stopped feeding mine Avicakes when I took a look at the ingredients too. As an aside, some commercial bakeries use it in human food as well, and it can be found in toiletries. As neither the birds or the people in this house are cars, I don't buy anything with propylene glycol in it. So glad your birds don't like them.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Holy cow about the ingredients. I have so many people who recommend them as a conversion food that I bought them when I bought this 2nd brand of pellets in case they didn't work.

Ew. No wonder I don't like the smell.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Ive never seen an Avicake....but they go crazy for Nutriberries....though I havent bought them in ages.

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
My birds like nutriberries but won't touch Avicakes, but like Nutrimeals, which is pretty much the same thing.

Sapphire Moon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol

My granddaughter was given med's to take for her ear ache. They were huge chewable pills that tasted nasty. We finally got her to take it crushed and put in raspberry flavored weight watchers ice cream. It totally disguised the taste. Maybe this would work with birds that wont take their meds?:rolleyes:

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
Connie liked Avicakes, but Ollie did not. They both like nutriberries, but initially Sammy didn't like them--now he loves them like the other 2 birds. What none of them liked is the nutriberries with the colored coating on them, nutrinuts, none of fids would touch them and they were pricy. I tried to give them to our local aviary (where we got Sammy and Ollie) and they said that their birds won't eat them either. I thought that an Amazon or Gray would probably enjoy them as they are a little bigger than nutri-berries--but there's something about them they don't like.

Connie likes millet, but Ollie and Sammy don't. They are like people, they all enjoy different things.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Well, I'm glad to know my birds aren't too strange! I haven't tried the nutriberries yet but probably will soon. The cakes are just sitting here on the counter in their ziplock bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.