• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My birds don't like bandaids?

erraticgh0st

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Eli
This is such an odd thing lol. So my birds hate bandaids. One of them is scared of them and will run away and completely avoid my hands if I'm wearing one. My other bird will attack where I am wearing one which mostly leads to me needing more bandaids. I genuinely don't understand why and would like them to get over it. Any advice?

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
It's actually quite normal. My birds don't like them either, or nail polish, or anything different :lol: It's just instinct to be afraid of things they don't know because they are prey animals.

KiwiandLemony

Walking the driveway
Okay, so an animal sees clothing, or anything attached to you for that matter, as part of you. If one day you show up and you have this huge hat on, your bird will see that as you suddenly having a weird shaped head. The bird sees the bandaid as a weird finger, she knows it’s not supposed to be there, like previous messages said. Like a new toy or object can freak them out the bandied has the same effect, it’s only amplified because it’s on a seemingly familiar object. As long as it doesn’t interfere with everyday interactions, you should be fine, the first few times it’ll freak them out but they’ll understand it not a threat , just like a new toy.

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
Okay, so an animal sees clothing, or anything attached to you for that matter, as part of you. If one day you show up and you have this huge hat on, your bird will see that as you suddenly having a weird shaped head. The bird sees the bandaid as a weird finger, she knows it’s not supposed to be there, like previous messages said. Like a new toy or object can freak them out the bandied has the same effect, it’s only amplified because it’s on a seemingly familiar object. As long as it doesn’t interfere with everyday interactions, you should be fine, the first few times it’ll freak them out but they’ll understand it not a threat , just like a new toy.
That’s interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Lol, my bandaids never last long as Burt is intent on removing them to check them out. He’s just fascinated with them even when they’re still in their wrapper. He is so gentle about removing them though, carefully peeling the edge up. I use the waterproof ones that are kind of like a second skin and they can be difficult to remove sometimes so I have used Burt to help me get the edge peeled up ;)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They might also have an interesting and novel texture - again, this might be something that your bird is wary of, desperate to explore or tries to preen off you.