• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My bird is dying .. I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

6ood 6irl

Moving in
I have an African Gray. He used to talk and do funny things. Unfortuantley, He got sick from 2 months ago. He never talks now. I dont hear any sound from my bird these days, not a single sound. I realized the following symptoms:

Fluffed up feathers
Appetite loss
Feather plucking
His neck and part of his wings are without feather. most of his skin is shown out. He never eats. I took him to the vet twice and he just said "its a sever kind of bird depression". when I woke up this morning, I saw him stand still without moving, and his head looking toward the roof, he was all the day in his same position :(

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You need to bring your african grey to a vet ASAP. This is extremely important. Please do not delay!!!:(

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Where are You located,so We can help You find a qualified Avian Vet?

Yoshi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Is there any chance you could try a different vet if the current one is not willing to look into the problem deeper? Is your current vet an avian vet or just a normal one? Try to find an avian vet if at all possible.

ncGreyBirdLady

Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I know that You are not in the US,and that You have had Your Bird to a Vet-IF There is NO other Vet available,can You Please Have the Vet look at Her again and Do some tests,It Sounds Like She is Very Sick and needs help immediately.:hug8:

6ood 6irl

Moving in
Actually, I tired two different vets, but they didnt help that much.
I am from Dubai; United Arab Emirates
Can you please help me find a qualified Avian Vet?

I really appreciate your support

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
I have an African Gray. He used to talk and do funny things. Unfortuantley, He got sick from 2 months ago. He never talks now. I dont hear any sound from my bird these days, not a single sound. I realized the following symptoms:

Fluffed up feathers
Appetite loss
Feather plucking
His neck and part of his wings are without feather. most of his skin is shown out. He never eats. I took him to the vet twice and he just said "its a sever kind of bird depression". when I woke up this morning, I saw him stand still without moving, and his head looking toward the roof, he was all the day in his same position :(
You do need to get him immediately (if not sooner) to an avian vet. They have emergency numbers and can probably either see your bird tonight or direct you to someone else who can, tonight. If this can be done, I suggest you do it, whatever it costs, as tomorrow may be too late from the way you described things. I wonder if he is drinking at all on his own? If so, you should spike his water with some fresh Gatorade (50-50) so he can get some sustenance into him. Don't force any liquids into his mouth though if you do not know what you are doing.

Could you please tell us what city you live in as there might just be someone on this board that lives close to you that is capable/qualified to keep your bird alive until you can get to an avian vet or find one that will see you asap.

Please do something to save this bird - asap.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
It is very important to keep him hydrated and keep his electrolytes up if he is not eating or drinking and is very weak. If you can purchase some Pedilite from a grocery store dilute it 50% with water and give him a CC or two of Pedilite/water every hour. You can drip it a little at a time into his beak if you don't have a syringe. Go slow so he doesn't choke. If he won't take any liquid at all if you have honey or karo syrup smear a very little bit into his beak to keep his electrolytes up till you can get him to a vet so they can give him fluids and do whatever else is needed. I hope he will be ok. Please keep us posted.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Actually, I tired two different vets, but they didnt help that much.
I am from Dubai; United Arab Emirates
Can you please help me find a qualified Avian Vet?

I really appreciate your support
Was composing my last post as you were submitting yours.

You say you are "from Dubai". Does that mean you are there now (just trying to clarify your statement)?

If you are there now, try Googling for an avian vet. I don't have the time to do any of that for you now unfortunately. Hopefully others on this board can help with that.

Good luck to your poor bird.

Advice for the future (for everyone): Always know where you can locate an avian vet before one is actually needed.

ncGreyBirdLady

Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I have been searching for a Vet for You-I hope You have better luck finding one:hug8:Keep Her warm, calm,hydrated(Like Marie said) and try to get her to eat something-does she have any kind of favorite warm food that You can make for Her? :hug8:

6ood 6irl

Moving in
Thanks alot for your advice, i am going now to do what you've just told me

6ood 6irl

Moving in
I have been searching for a Vet for You-I hope You have better luck finding one:hug8:Keep Her warm, calm,hydrated(Like Marie said) and try to get her to eat something-does she have any kind of favorite warm food that You can make for Her? :hug8:

His Favorite warm food is rice, but he refuses to eat anything. and he can not drink water by himself neither, i will try to keep him hydrated

thanks alot

ncGreyBirdLady

Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Would He take some well soaked,squished,warm rice-Or even drain some water from the rice,add some honey or corn syrup into it and dribble it into his mouth(slowly) to get at least some nutrition into him!You and Your Bird-What is His Name?-Are in My thoughts and Prayers:hug8:I Pray You find a good Vet,and Your bird gets Well:hug8:Please keep Us Posted!

gayla

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gayla
I googled, and got the following: Be sure to call and ask for an AVian Vet. I did search Avian Vet, but just make sure

Veterinarians, Veterinary Doctors, Veterinary Hospitals UAE United Arab Emirates 1

Tom Bailey BSc BVSc MSc PhD Cert ZooMed DipECAMS
Falcon and Wildlife Veterinarian, Dubai Falcon Hospital, PO Box 23919, Dubai,
United Arab Emirates
Speciality: raptors, bustards and other avian and Middle East wildlife

Christopher Lloyd BVSc MSc CertZooMed MRCVS
Nad Al Shiba Avian Reproduction Research Centre, PO Box 5715, Dubai, UAE
Tel: +971 4 3357272, fax: +971 4 3357273.

NAD AL SHIBA Vet Hospital - Dr. Christopher Lloyd BVSc MSc CertZooMed MRCVS
Web Address: www.nadvethosp.com
Phone: 04 3401060
Address: Nad Al Shiba
City: Dubai Zip:
Comments:
Avian Vet? Yes

6ood 6irl

Moving in
Thanks alot for finding this address for me. I called them, took an appointment and went emmediately there with my bird. The doctor asked me to keep the bird in the hospital to be checked and to stay under their care for sometime.

Big thanks for all of you :)

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
:hug8: Hope he gets well soon!!
keeping him and you in my prayers
please keep us updated
:hug8:

did they say what it might be or what they suspect?

gayla

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gayla
Which vet did you go to? I'm so glad we could help, and I will keep you & your baby in my prayers.

Please keep us updated

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm so glad you were able to get help. I hope your baby gets well soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.