• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird is disobey

Armin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Armin
Hi guys.
Name of my bird is CoCo.
CoCo is a lovely bird and I love it. But CoCo always doesn't come to me when I say CoCo, come, come, come.
Why? I use to treat for the most time.
What Do I do?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You're asking a really complicated thing from CoCo! Try breaking it down into smaller steps.

First of all, pair yourself with good things. This means finding a treat that s/he really likes. Small pieces of nuts (like almonds or cashews) are good for this - I use little slices of almond. Keep the pieces small so CoCo eats them quickly and wants more. If the pieces are too big s/he'll take longer to eat them and will get full more quickly. Then you have to break the behaviour you want from her into lots of little steps and make sure you reward her for each little step. Have a word (like "good!") so she knows that s/he's done the right thing, then reward him/her.

The first step is to get CoCo to look at you when you say "come". If CoCo looks at you, say "good!" and give the treat as a reward.

When CoCo is doing this every time, offer your hand and get Coco to lean a little towards you. If Coco leans towards you, say "good" and give the reward.

When CoCo is happy approaching your hand, see if you can get him or her to put a foot on your hand. If CoCo puts just one foot on your hand, say "good" immediately and give the reward. It doesn't matter if it's only for a second, it's still an important step and must be rewarded!

Then build this up to CoCo putting two feet on your hand. This might take a while but be patient.

Then ask CoCo to move towards you to step onto your hand - only by a tiny amount, like a couple of inches. Build this up very gradually and make sure you reinforce the behaviours you want to see by saying "good!" and giving treats.

Keep your training sessions short but regular. They only need to be a couple of minutes long but you should do them a few times a day. Try to finish when CoCo has done the thing you asked her/him to do. It's better to have a short training session that ends when you're both feeling happy and positive. If it goes on too long, CoCo will lose interest and then you'll feel discouraged.

Armin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Armin
You're asking a really complicated thing from CoCo! Try breaking it down into smaller steps.

First of all, pair yourself with good things. This means finding a treat that s/he really likes. Small pieces of nuts (like almonds or cashews) are good for this - I use little slices of almond. Keep the pieces small so CoCo eats them quickly and wants more. If the pieces are too big s/he'll take longer to eat them and will get full more quickly. Then you have to break the behaviour you want from her into lots of little steps and make sure you reward her for each little step. Have a word (like "good!") so she knows that s/he's done the right thing, then reward him/her.

The first step is to get CoCo to look at you when you say "come". If CoCo looks at you, say "good!" and give the treat as a reward.

When CoCo is doing this every time, offer your hand and get Coco to lean a little towards you. If Coco leans towards you, say "good" and give the reward.

When CoCo is happy approaching your hand, see if you can get him or her to put a foot on your hand. If CoCo puts just one foot on your hand, say "good" immediately and give the reward. It doesn't matter if it's only for a second, it's still an important step and must be rewarded!

Then build this up to CoCo putting two feet on your hand. This might take a while but be patient.

Then ask CoCo to move towards you to step onto your hand - only by a tiny amount, like a couple of inches. Build this up very gradually and make sure you reinforce the behaviours you want to see by saying "good!" and giving treats.
Thanks.
But CoCo can understand my command But s/He wants to annoy me. :)
Because He obeyed me if CoCo isn't busy. But CoCo doesn't obey when busy or are many humans around CoCo.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
CoCo isn't doing this to annoy you. Recall training is difficult with any animal, especially when there are lots of new and exciting things to explore! Even highly trained dogs get distracted.

The key is to work on these training sessions when there aren't a lot of distractions. Focus on getting CoCo to come to you when s/he isn't busy. Break down the behaviour you want to train into little steps. This helps CoCo to understand what you want her/him to do. Then you have a better chance of getting CoCo's attention at other times.

Parrots are also not like dogs. They want to be asked to do something, and they want to be able to say "no". They do not like being ordered around.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Thanks.
But CoCo can understand my command But s/He wants to annoy me. :)
Because He obeyed me if CoCo isn't busy. But CoCo doesn't obey when busy or are many humans around CoCo.
Coco is having too much fun to come ! Coco doesn't understand that you think it's important they come to you, and wants to play.

Armin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Armin
CoCo isn't doing this to annoy you. Recall training is difficult with any animal, especially when there are lots of new and exciting things to explore! Even highly trained dogs get distracted.

The key is to work on these training sessions when there aren't a lot of distractions. Focus on getting CoCo to come to you when s/he isn't busy. Break down the behaviour you want to train into little steps. This helps CoCo to understand what you want her/him to do. Then you have a better chance of getting CoCo's attention at other times.

Parrots are also not like dogs. They want to be asked to do something, and they want to be able to say "no". They do not like being ordered around.
Thanks.
My treat is millet.
Is a good treat?

Armin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Armin
Coco is having too much fun to come ! Coco doesn't understand that you think it's important they come to you, and wants to play.
Thanks for the answer.
This is sad to me. I think CoCo learn to it. :(

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If CoCo likes millet, then it is a good treat. If CoCo doesn't like millet or is indifferent to it, you should find a better treat.

Please don't be sad. A healthy bird should be active and curious. Reliable recall is very hard to teach birds.

Armin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Armin
If CoCo likes millet, then it is a good treat. If CoCo doesn't like millet or is indifferent to it, you should find a better treat.

Please don't be sad. A healthy bird should be active and curious. Reliable recall is very hard to teach birds.
Do I tech CoCo for No?
I want to tech CoCo don't touch that.
Can I?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
How old is this bird? How long have you had CoCo?
Training is matter of repetition, try no more then what. Train for 15minutes take a break of couple of hours. Train with no distractions, that means just you and CoCo. No tv, no radio, no other birds.

Armin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Armin
How old is this bird? How long have you had CoCo?
Training is matter of repetition, try no more then what. Train for 15minutes take a break of couple of hours. Train with no distractions, that means just you and CoCo. No tv, no radio, no other birds.
Thanks.
CoCo is 3-4 month old.
is it good for the train?

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
What does your bird learn?
I taught my bird to let me put a leash on him so he can go outside without flying away. He doesn't like treats so is hard to teach.

Armin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Armin
I taught my bird to let me put a leash on him so he can go outside without flying away. He doesn't like treats so is hard to teach.
He doesn't like treat?!!!!
Why? It's strange.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Why? It's strange.

Sometimes Charlie is too concentrated on the task at hand to eat his treat, so when that happens I go with positive reinforcment instead (saying good job! and giving him a kiss). Birds have their own preferences :)

I also agree that it's better to just hide the no-no object since no-no training can work some times but not always.

Also yes, your bird being curious and playful is an excellent sign that they are healthy and happy! This is how birds should be, and them being independent is good since they can entertain themselves when you are away. Birds that are trained to be too obedient or dependent tend to be unhappy. You can still train your bird, it's a great activity and can be useful, just don't go too overboard with it :)

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Why? It's strange.
He doesn't like foods besides his pellets, but doesn't like those enough to do tricks for them. I'm working on making him like treats.