• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird haven't stable diet

Armin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Armin
Hi guys.
My bird is CoCo and 3 months old.
CoCo has a strange diet.
CoCo love millet. I feed CoCo with millet as treat. But now, CoCo doesn't eat millet with exciting.
CoCo eats boiled potato and now, CoCo eats a bit. and other food is like these.
But CoCo loves cooked white rice and bread.
What do I do?

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
You should be offering CoCo better foods... like sweet potato (for the beta carotene), cooked wholegrain rice - add brightly coloured vegetables which are more nutritious like carrot (raw or cooked), squash, sweet peppers, broccoli, peas, beans, Brussels sprouts, kale. If you continue to only feed CoCo white rice, white bread and white potato, you are going to get a sick bird... the diet lacks protein, vitamins and minerals. Put better food on your plate and his plate. Does he eat seed or pellets?

Armin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Armin
You should be offering CoCo better foods... like sweet potato (for the beta carotene), cooked wholegrain rice - add brightly coloured vegetables which are more nutritious like carrot (raw or cooked), squash, sweet peppers, broccoli, peas, beans, Brussels sprouts, kale. If you continue to only feed CoCo white rice, white bread and white potato, you are going to get a sick bird... the diet lacks protein, vitamins and minerals. Put better food on your plate and his plate. Does he eat seed or pellets?
Thanks.
I couldn't a pure plate in my city.
CoCo eats seeds but less at now.
I think that I should keep in the cage for hours.
Do you confirm my idea?

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
If your question is if you should keep seeds in the cage at all times, then the answer is yes :) But don't keep Coco caged all day, birds need exercise and interaction!

You should try converting Coco to pellets as soon as possible, too. It has a lot of nutrients that are lacking from the diet you described and that most veggies can provide, but it is more practical if you are a busy person and can't feed your bird fresh veggies every day. Now is the time to make Coco try new foods as it gets more difficult to do so when they get older.

I also agree on the sweet potato and whole grain rice. It is perfectly okay for Coco not to have a stable diet: a varied diet is your best bet for lots of nutrients and a happy bird!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Coco should get a base diet of about 50% seeds, 50% pellets. These are consumed amounts, so you might have to figure out how much to give him so he doesn’t only eat the seeds. On top of this he should eat some whole grains and as many veggies as you can get him to consume. Broccoli is a good “starter” veggie that most cockatiels like. Some others are leafy greens, snow peas, green beans, sweet potatoes and sprouts.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Seeds , pellets, broccoli, kale, carrots, green beans can all be fed to Coco. Coco can eat small amount of fruit every second day, and boiled egg once a week when he is molting. Remember when giving coco cooked foods to check it is not too hot for Coco.

When feeding vegetables, try chopping it up in tiny pieces like seeds :) Remove all fresh foods after two hours to prevent spoilage.

Here is a list of safe foods :
Cockatiels, Healthy and Nutritious Safe Foods, Safe Fruits, Safe Fruits, Safe Vegetables, Safe Table foods for Cockatiels and Pet Birds. List of Safe Foods, Safe Fruits and Vegetables for Cockatiels and Pet Birds. What foods are safe to feed cockatiels,What do cockatiels eat, What table foods can cockatiels eat.>

Armin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Armin
If your question is if you should keep seeds in the cage at all times, then the answer is yes :) But don't keep Coco caged all day, birds need exercise and interaction!

You should try converting Coco to pellets as soon as possible, too. It has a lot of nutrients that are lacking from the diet you described and that most veggies can provide, but it is more practical if you are a busy person and can't feed your bird fresh veggies every day. Now is the time to make Coco try new foods as it gets more difficult to do so when they get older.

I also agree on the sweet potato and whole grain rice. It is perfectly okay for Coco not to have a stable diet: a varied diet is your best bet for lots of nutrients and a happy bird!
I want to keep CoCo and foods in the cage for 5-6 hours because I feel that CoCo isn't busy and CoCo can try new food if CoCo is in the cage.
Is this good idea?

Armin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Armin
Coco should get a base diet of about 50% seeds, 50% pellets. These are consumed amounts, so you might have to figure out how much to give him so he doesn’t only eat the seeds. On top of this he should eat some whole grains and as many veggies as you can get him to consume. Broccoli is a good “starter” veggie that most cockatiels like. Some others are leafy greens, snow peas, green beans, sweet potatoes and sprouts.
Good idea.
I'm searching for a high-quality pellet. I hope that find it.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I want to keep CoCo and foods in the cage for 5-6 hours because I feel that CoCo isn't busy and CoCo can try new food if CoCo is in the cage.
Is this good idea?
This is a good idea! You can keep seeds and pellets in the cage at all times and change them after a day or two, but fresh foods like cooked rice & veggies should be removed or changed after 3-5 hours to prevent spoiling and Coco getting sick

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Good idea.
I'm searching for a high-quality pellet. I hope that find it.
If you tell us what country you live in we can help you find quality pellets that you can easily find. Good examples are Harrison's, Tropican, Lafeber, etc. Roudybush and Zupreem are good too but one of the three aforementioned are the best I believe, as long as Coco likes them. If Coco doesn't like a specific kind of pellets thats ok, any pellets that Coco likes is better than no pellets at all. Charlie loves Tropican but it's hard to find in certain places, he also likes Zupreem but I don't like that they are unecessarily coloured so I give them as a treat

Armin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Armin
This is a good idea! You can keep seeds and pellets in the cage at all times and change them after a day or two, but fresh foods like cooked rice & veggies should be removed or changed after 3-5 hours to prevent spoiling and Coco getting sick
So it's good if CoCo is in the cage for 3-4 hours to eat new food.
Right?

Armin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Armin
If you tell us what country you live in we can help you find quality pellets that you can easily find. Good examples are Harrison's, Tropican, Lafeber, etc. Roudybush and Zupreem are good too but one of the three aforementioned are the best I believe, as long as Coco likes them. If Coco doesn't like a specific kind of pellets thats ok, any pellets that Coco likes is better than no pellets at all. Charlie loves Tropican but it's hard to find in certain places, he also likes Zupreem but I don't like that they are unecessarily coloured so I give them as a treat
I'm living in Iran. and I found some shops that sell Harrison's But sold out now. :(
I'm searching for a high-quality brand in Iran.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
So it's good if CoCo is in the cage for 3-4 hours to eat new food.
Right?
Yes, this is good :) Just make sure Coco has the cage door open if you're home and toys so Coco can entertain themself if they don't feel like trying new foods just yet.

Last edited:

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I'm living in Iran. and I found some shops that sell Harrison's But sold out now. :(
I'm searching for a high-quality brand in Iran.

Unfortunately I don't know much about what kind of pellets pet stores in Iran carry... but definitely get Harrisons when they get back in stock :)

Have they told you when they should get some more?

What kind of other brands of pellets do they have? We can tell you if it's good.

Last edited:

Armin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Armin
Unfortunately I don't know much about what kind of pellets pet stores in Iran carry... but definitely get Harrisons when they get back in stock :)

Have they told you when they should get some more?

What kind of other brands of pellets do they have? We can tell you if it's good.
I found Harrisons in a store online but I don't know that it's fake or original.
I'm searching again for a new brand or original Harrisons.