• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My bird has HEAVY METAL POISONING...AGAIN!!HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
Hope your baby feels better soon :hug8:

Jen - I didn't know that about PB. Very interesting! I give my guys PB on salt free rice cakes once a week and they love it!

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
My experience with lead poisoning of my Sun Conure Nicky: When we moved into this house 20-some years ago, I tested all the woodwork for lead, as I did home daycare & wanted kids to be safe. Went to neighborhood hardware store & bought lead testing kit--kit showed NO LEAD. 5 1/2 years ago, brought home Nicky, fell in :heart:. About 6 months later, (4 yrs ago) was doing a thorough vacuum upstairs, parrot keeping me company as always. Saw him disappear into area between window & screen. Went to get him out, saw paint chip disappear into his mouth (this from a bird that won't eat a carrot!) Was upset, but no panic, because the paint was lead free, right? And I'm one of those ignorant people who bought a parrot on impulse, so didn't know that much about their digestive system (was trying to learn as much as possible, but books I had read that far were mostly about husbandry.) NEXT DAY he was a little subdued in his behavior, but nothing that worried me. Took him outside to soak up some sun--it was very hot, so I gave him a fine spray w/the hose. He vomited some clear stuff, almost gel-like. Uh-oh, was NOT something he had done ever before. Still wasn't that worried (what did I know?) Put him in cage to dry off, & nap, which he did. I don't remember what his appetite was like. That night I let him out for dinner, & to cuddle. HUGE poop--no biggy (he'd been napping, right?) Something I hadn't really paid much attention to was bothering me, but I couldn't put my finger on it, looked around at everything, & OMG, on the newspaper I saw BLOOD IN HIS POOP. That HAS to be bad. My son drove us to 1 vet, she couldn't help (was in a wheel chair) so sent me to a 24 hr vet hospital an hour away. Admissions told me it couldn't be lead poisoning, it wouldn't show up so quickly. Nicky then had another poop (huge, & on my shoulder) with (for a bird) a huge amount of blood. Oh. Took him to an isolette (heat & humidity controled), & they'd call in an avian vet ASAP (Northcoast Avian Services, I think, but first I had to make a down payment of I think $300 cash or credit card. OK, luckily I had it.
------Well, he made it, with I hope no permanent harm, but he had to stay in emergency care for 3 days, & it cost us $1,200. The meds they gave him to remove the lead from his system was: Ciprofloxacin 100mg/ml, give 0.02 ml orally every 12 hours for 7 days (which is what is on the label from the emerg hospital), but what they called in to our compounding pharmacy that I ended up giving him when that was gone, it says on the bottle: penicillamine 250mg/5ml/apple, 0.1ml daily for 21 days.
A few months later I had him tested (blood draw)--all normal -YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:marlenesmile::thewave::marlenesmile:
I hope something in this helps a little. If nothing else, you might want to ask your vet about using one of these other substances as the (can't remember the word) to remove the lead from the blood. Nicky had no side effects (that he told me about!) No permanant damage (that they could determine.)
The last thing I'd like to mention is I have a medium flight cage from MSBS (My Safe Bird Store) that cost me $150, minus 10% as member of AA, free shipping! Plenty big enough for 2 budgies.

REALLY the last thing--I bet you the main culprit is the paint on the door they've been chewing, & I wouldn't be surprised if it was the agent of death of your poor little hen. If they're woodwork chewers, KEEP THEM OFF THE WOODWORK no matter what. We can't afford the cost of lead paint removal, so it's something we're going to have to live with. And, DON'T TRUST THE RESULTS OF A LEAD TESTING KIT. If this saves ONE BIRD, it was worth writing.

Last edited:

Chicobo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Erin
This is a very nice cage: A&E Double Flight Cage with Divider 64x21 - SMALL BIRD CAGES by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

It has a divider, if you need to keep your birds separated. If they get along (and most budgies do, assuming your other bird is also a budgie), it is a really terrific cage, without the divider, for small birds.

I have that A&E cage at home, I just got it a little while ago. NEW I think I paid $200-250, it's a GREAT cage and I love it! I too wanted the stainless but couldn't afford it. CC chews the bars, but has NEVER had a problem with the A&E flight, and it's a great big space, especially for budgies!

I hope your little guy feels better soon. The only other advice I can give is to try and be a "good patient" for your bird, since he can't do it himself. If you don't understand what the vet is saying, DEMAND to have it explained more clearly. Don't just accept what is being said if it doesn't make sense to you. Ask a ton of questions. Remember, YOU are paying for a SERVICE, so they need to make sure you're getting it.

Good luck!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
You still want to treat with the DMSA because if there is a metal piece in the body that shows up on X-ray, there will still be metal in the blood. Lead poisoning and zinc poisoning are very different. Lead moves much quicker and will kill much more quickly where zinc can sit in the body for weeks even months depending on the amount and not kill, lead will kill within hours. And the home test kits are basically worthless.

Danielle, PB is great for getting things out of the body because it's sticky enough to stick to things!:) If you're feeding daily just because they like it, I'd suggest almond butter or another nut that is better for them, but when specifically trying to remove something like metal from the body, PB all the way and twice a day every day is fine.

April, I'm so glad that Nicky made it. Lead is very scary!

Status
Not open for further replies.