• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My bird has a Chia seed in it's nose HELP!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I Can't find an appointment!
It's ridiculous!
He's looking fine thou I wonder if he will get it out himself...
I mean don't bird get things stuck in their nares in the wild?

I am sure they do but I am also sure that if they do not get it out in a short space of time it would be the cause of many problems for them and possibly even the reason for death. Food spoils/ breaks down and has bacteria, noses have discharge which is normally easily removed from the nostrils when they are not blocked with foreign objects.

I know of a person (as a child) who stuffed things into her nose and ended up needing surgery to remove a nasty heap of infectious material. Most of what they removed was not the original item that was put into the nostril but the stuff the body had produced that was not able to leave the area so it got infected.

I seriously would not be waiting any longer to find a vet who will take you in ASAP. Maybe let everyone know the town/area you are in and see if they can help to find you a suitable vet close to you. You really do not want to wait for the seed to become an actual medical problem (infection, irritation, inflammation, blockage) as it will be harder for your bird to recover from and a lot more costly for you.

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway

MaxieTheBirdie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kevin Dolby
Guys I've called every vet in my area but nothing.
most of them are all booked up or don't have their avian vet in

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You may just have to take him to an emergency clinic.

meheartbirds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cynthia
Guys I've called every vet in my area but nothing.
most of them are all booked up or don't have their avian vet in
What exactly does "All booked up" mean? They are never taking another bird into their facility? You have to wait a year or until hell freezes over?? I am not feeling the same compassion suddenly.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Listen Kevin, Go into your regular vet as a walk in. They will fit you in for a 2 minute fix to Maxie's nose! Do not wait any longer. Please take all these good people's advice.

To drag the situation out like this only makes folks feel that you aren't as concerned as you led everyone to believe and they have wasted their valuable time trying to help. Munchausen by Birdie is coming to mind.

Now do what is right and get help for poor Maxie before infection sets in!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That is excellent news Kevin, I hope it is all fixed up in a few minutes for you and your bird. Better to treat it now than to let it fester.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It's a new game.

What do you call it?

I know! It's so stupid Laurie. :facepalm::laugh: He literally grabs my finger and pushes my finger to my face. I say "Oh, you want me to suck your nare?" I'm supposed to keep my finger in his beak and suck his nare. :wacky: I'm aware of how stupid it sounds. :rolleyes:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Portland OR Veterinary Care | Avian and Exotic Veterinary Care, Portland, OR This is the Vet in North Portland that I go to. I imagine you could call them and ask for first available OR advice on what do to; wait, go to their recommended Avian emergency vet office if they're not able to help, and if it is truly emergent.

Avian Medical Center Website The Avian vet I've heard about in Lake Oswego.
I've been considering trying Avian and Exotic myself, how are they? Their reviews look great. I've been going to a place on like 30th and Burnside but it's a bit of a trip and parking there sucks but they always seemed good.

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
I've been considering trying Avian and Exotic myself, how are they? Their reviews look great. I've been going to a place on like 30th and Burnside but it's a bit of a trip and parking there sucks but they always seemed good.
I saw Dr. Harrenstien once, for a well bird consult. She was very patient, as we’re brand new bird owners. She gave me all kinds of hints and tricks for behaviors, food, and what to do if our bird breaks a blood feather, etc... they even offered our bird a bit of Avi-Cake to see if it would eat it. She showed me the anatomy of our bird, etc. The facility is small, but clean and modern. They have parking, and it’s easy to get to. You can tell that not much “ruffles her feathers” so to speak. She’s seen and heard it all, which wouldn’t surprise me as she worked at Oregon Zoo for a long time.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Thanks, I'll have to check them out next time I decide to drag Dobby in for a checkup.