• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird doesn't seem to like grains

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Blu is such a good eater but he doesn't really like grains. No pasta, no rice, no quinoa, no oatmeal. He doesn't even really like bread.

I'm not sure how important grains are, considering that he eats some pellets, sprouts, lots of veggies, beans, egg (occasionally), fruits.

Is it mandatory that I figure out a way to get him to eat more grains?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
That's interesting he doesn't like grains. BeeBop eats some veggies like lettuce and sprouts but he loves cooked brown rice. It's great that your bird is a good eater when it comes to veggies and fruits though. It sounds like he is on a good diet eating some pellets and other healthy foods. Some birds take a long time to eat things that are healthy for them, so don't give up.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Given the diet he does eat, you're well and truly in the clear I would think. The grains don't offer much more than carbohydrates anyway.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
That's what I was hoping. I will still try but it makes me feel better that it doesn't seem to be detrimental. Thanks so much, Lunalovebird!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Personally I do not focus on grains much because they do get them in the pellets. Most can be sprouted if you want to try that!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I get the birds fifteen grain bread, sprouted wheat bread and wheatberry bread, one loaf each, monthly as a treat. I use it as a vehicle for meds, supplements and peanut butter, as well as supplemental oils. Sunny goes wild for bread with whole grains still in the loaf.